Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

James
Topic Author

International Obfuscated C Code Contest

October 27th, 2003, 8:34 am

Does anyone know about this?And can we enter DCFC to win?!http://www.ioccc.org/index.html

rmax

August 10th, 2015, 9:51 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunmovfuscator convert a program into a sequence of just MOV instructions. MOV is Turing complete!mov is Turing-complete", by Stephen Dolan...interesting paper. Love this in the abstractQuoteIt is well known that the x86 instruction set in baroque, over-complicated and redundantly redundant...

rmax

August 12th, 2015, 1:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunmovfuscator convert a program into a sequence of just MOV instructions. MOV is Turing complete!mov is Turing-complete", by Stephen Dolan...interesting paper. Love this in the abstractQuoteIt is well known that the x86 instruction set in baroque, over-complicated and redundantly redundant...Yes, that's a great intro to things to come!It actually makes sense, I would say that mov and the classic Turing tape machine with a single write/read head are very similar?Yes I agree. I need to read the paper in more detail as I am not sure how he implemented the state machine. The state seems to be encoded along with the paper tape (memory) somehow.I also like his comment that he does not want to write a compiler that just uses mov!

rmax

August 13th, 2015, 2:25 pm

I think the addressing mode of the mov is what is key. I think that the mov is being addressed as two words, and the "tape" is held in all even memory locations. Need to think about it further. Key paragraph is as follows:QuoteMemory is logically divided into cells, which are pairs of adjacent words which start on even-numbered memory addresses. Our load indexed and store indexed operations can be viewed as load and store to a cell, where the address of the cell is given by one register, and which of the two words to access is specified by another register.

Polter

August 14th, 2015, 8:25 pm