SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ryno
Topic Author

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 20th, 2004, 12:40 pm

I am considering purchasing either a Dell D400 or an IBM x31 ThinkPad. Any experiences with each? I will be using it for building statistical spreadsheet models for trading. thanks

bkloss

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 20th, 2004, 2:55 pm

No experience with either, but consider what you need from the laptop:* Speed?* Weight & Size?* Battery Life?* Screen Size & Quality?Are you going to be using this as a desktop replacement, or will you carry it around all the time?In terms of quality, both are propably fine.

exotiq

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 20th, 2004, 3:27 pm

My experience with IBM-brand laptops in general is that they are tanks - ugly and sturdy when compared to comparable Dells. Not sure if this has continued to hold in the models you are talking about though...

ryno
Topic Author

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 20th, 2004, 7:35 pm

Is more than half a gig of RAM necessary for quant modeling?

silverside

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 20th, 2004, 7:45 pm

I'm using an IBM thinkpad X30 at the moment and it's great, centrino chips are fast in comparison to P4/celerons . Its battery life is great (5 or 6 hours with extended battery), its very well built and portable. The screen is a little bit small but you can run it dual monitor with another screen.as bkloss said, there is a tradeoff betweenpriceportabilitypower'two outta three ain't bad' but you wont get all three.If you want to run high power modelling you should probably get a regular desktop PC with an athlon 64.For basic modelling with matlab, c++ etc, and running office, half a gig is plenty, but I havent run any really big models.there was a similar thread here about 2 months ago, have a look for it.
Last edited by silverside on April 19th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HankScorpio

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 23rd, 2004, 9:42 am

How things change....I remember when the old Toshiba Tecras and IBM laptops were indeed built like tanks and lasted for yonks. No more I'm afraid. IMHO IBMs are considerably slower than an equivalent Dell, and we have had some reliability problems at work with them. Toshiba have been even worse, gone are the days when these guys were making serious business laptops. Again, this is just my opinion. I have even had bad dealings with the rude customer service and customer relations droids from Toshiba and will not touch them with a 20 foot pole !Dell on the other hand have always surprised me. Yep, the older models were clunky and had crap displays and darn noisy drives. Things have now changed. They have sharp displays, quiet drives and long life batteries, plus IMHO you get top notch service. Dells are all we use at work now, and reliability wise they have proven themselves.I am unfortunately typing this through a Toshiba Tecra piece of excrement that will be soon replaced by a Dell or one of those cool Sonys (but they are a little expensive).Just my $0.02

SPAAGG

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 23rd, 2004, 10:21 am

Don't buy DELL !!!!try ACER instead !

DrEvil

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 23rd, 2004, 12:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rynoIs more than half a gig of RAM necessary for quant modeling?Yes, the full Gb is cheap enough and worth it now. Remember the last time you wanted to run a huge matrix optimization while playing a DVD and running Photoshop in the background? If you spend more time on your laptop than in your car, spend whatever you would have on a nicer car to get the nicest laptop you can afford.

peace

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 24th, 2004, 2:50 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: silversideI'm using an IBM thinkpad X30 at the moment and it's great, centrino chips are fast in comparison to P4/celerons . Its battery life is great (5 or 6 hours with extended battery), its very well built and portable. The screen is a little bit small but you can run it dual monitor with another screen.as bkloss said, there is a tradeoff betweenpriceportabilitypower'two outta three ain't bad' but you wont get all three.If you want to run high power modelling you should probably get a regular desktop PC with an athlon 64.For basic modelling with matlab, c++ etc, and running office, half a gig is plenty, but I havent run any really big models.there was a similar thread here about 2 months ago, have a look for it.why not try e-machine? there is a model for AMD 6400.

DrEvil

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 25th, 2004, 10:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: peacewhy not try e-machine? there is a model for AMD 6400.On the other extreme, Apple makes the best laptops, but if you need any Windows-specific software (although Excel X serves me fabulously), and if you've already narrowed down between Dell and IBM, all I have to say is: Dude, you're gettin' a Dell!

jimmycarter

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 26th, 2004, 12:29 pm

I have a Sony notebook and my company uses Dell.Comparing the two, firstly I find that the Dell notebook becomes very hot after running for a while.Secondly, the Sony screen is much clearer.Can't say much about speed because they are different models.

ComteZero

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 27th, 2004, 7:37 am

to reply to the original question : IBMIBM laptops are simply the best. from far. just compare keyboards and you'll check the difference in quality.they are the best and quite expensive too but... no free lunch.

exotiq

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 27th, 2004, 1:15 pm

Of the ones listed below, my opinionated list:1. Apple2. Sony3. IBM4. Dell5. ToshibaThose are from my personal experience with laptops, of which my powerbook G4 has been by far my ever favorite in almost every imagineable aspect. I do most of my spreadsheet, C++, Mathematica, and octave work on a Mac, not to mention graphics and presentations.Assuming no G4, your choice to go with a fast Centrino and get plenty of memory an necessary accessories is probably more imporant than the brand. Sony has some of the style of a Mac, and IBM has much of the quality of a Mac. Not that I'm biased...

ryno
Topic Author

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 27th, 2004, 3:18 pm

i've now talked to all the IT and programmer guys at my work... they say while ibm used to be the top in laptops, dell is hands down much more quality now (faster, quiet, etc). considering i have only used a dell latitude laptop, and its been a good experience, i'll probably go w/ the Dell D400, 1.7M-processor, 1G RAM, etc. this should be a very fast computer, and some of the execs at work have them. any other ideas/thoughts/opinions are much appreciated....

tabris

Notebooks - Dell or IBM

April 28th, 2004, 5:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rynoi've now talked to all the IT and programmer guys at my work... they say while ibm used to be the top in laptops, dell is hands down much more quality now (faster, quiet, etc). considering i have only used a dell latitude laptop, and its been a good experience, i'll probably go w/ the Dell D400, 1.7M-processor, 1G RAM, etc. this should be a very fast computer, and some of the execs at work have them. any other ideas/thoughts/opinions are much appreciated....Hmm... I question those opinions from the IT and programmer guys at your work place as I still think IBM have much better quality (even now) and though Dell is faster, it sure as hell aint quieter or cooler (literally). My friend's work place bought 5 600ms in Feb and 2 are being sent back for repairs, and 2 more are being worked on by support already. If that says quality then I really am in lost for words.If you really want a Dell, I suggest going for the bulkier versions such as the 9100. They are relatively more sturdier (because of size). I have no experience with the x31 but my friend that has the t41 swear there is nothing better.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On