SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

SanFranCA2002
Topic Author

Hiding your work email return address

April 29th, 2004, 3:47 pm

More and more sites (including Wilmott) seem to be asking for verifiable email addresses when becoming members. At the same time, the usual ones like yahoo and hotmail are are being disabled by Banks so employees cannot access them. Short of paying money to AOL or someone, what do people do to mask their actual work email addresses? When you sign up for these sites, the member password gets sent back to some address so you need access to get that code. Any help?

DrEvil

April 29th, 2004, 6:44 pm

One trick is to use a forwarding address that doesn't actually have an e-mailbox, but that you can configure to send mail (or stop sending mail) to your work address. If you are a Perl programmer, cpan.org is a good one, and there are several similar options.Another option which I think is worth the money is to have your own domain. This often provides forwarding services as well your web URL, and often lets you host your own e-mail and web services. A common practice is to have an address called junk@mydomain.comDespite the "big" webmail sites being blocked by bank networks, some of the smaller ones that you can find by searching for "free e-mail" still get through, just keep trying.

SanFranCA2002
Topic Author

April 29th, 2004, 7:10 pm

Thank you sir. And in answer to your other post, probably schwab would be the best of those three (if those are your only choices) just because of the lower cost. I used to have a Fidelity account and they said I could not do futures trading through them, so I had to set up yet another account at a futures brokerage. Also they (Fidelity) sends out way too many letters of holdings, requests for voting on their funds, credit card/loan type solicitations, invitations to talk to their personal bankers, etc. I have no complaint about their service in general, but you might have to buy a bigger mailbox.

DominicConnor

April 30th, 2004, 8:20 am

Math.com is stopped by very few corporate firewalls.In any case it should not be much of a problem if you can't access personal Email from work.The Wilmott.com registration process only requires one Email, and you can do this at home.

DrBen

April 30th, 2004, 9:17 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCMath.com is stopped by very few corporate firewalls.Even if Math.com was blocked you could use any other everyone.net powered provider. For example,I use myname@zuppa.co.uk sign up at: zuppa.mail.everyone.net
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On