SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

mtsm
Topic Author

pyxll, pyinex, and others?

January 1st, 2011, 5:31 pm

are people here familiar with pyxll and pyinex? are there any other similar packages out there and which one would you recommend?thank you

bojan

January 3rd, 2011, 3:51 pm

I've found that the concept of Python interpreter integrated with Excel directly via the C API works very well. We in fact rolled our own version for a larger project. The basic interface that came out of this is available here if you want to give it a try: http://www.bnikolic.co.uk/expy/

mtsm
Topic Author

January 6th, 2011, 2:05 am

hi, thank you for pointing this out. I am not getting a very good sense of what this can do. You seem to be saying that it is a technology demo project. I think that I need something operational fast.

bojan

January 6th, 2011, 7:07 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: mtsmhi, thank you for pointing this out. I am not getting a very good sense of what this can do. You seem to be saying that it is a technology demo project. I think that I need something operational fast.Short answer: it isn't intended for production use.Long answer: We are using a subset of the expy functionality in a larger project very successfully. I've split off expy from the larger project and expanded it a little bit so that expy is useful on its own, but, as I wrote, primarily as a hands-on example how one can efficiently integrate excel and python. At the present it is not intended for "production" use. Perhaps if there is sufficient interest we will make it so, but for the present it is likely to evolve only as the larger project evolves.What are you trying to do? The first thing to make sure is that your Python code is all done and working -- integrating with Excel should be the easy part!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On