Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Markusslondon
Topic Author

Linux knowlegde

December 15th, 2011, 10:30 am

Hi Guys,I want to gain some knowledge in using Linux for a prospective Quant position.As I am not familiar with Linux at all (just basic unix stuff from OS X) it would be really helpful to get some advise how Linux is used as a quant and maybe some reading advises/ book recommendations.Thank you very much in advance help is very much aoppriciated.Markus

Hansi

Linux knowlegde

December 15th, 2011, 10:47 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Markusslondonhelpful to get some advise how Linux is used as a quantData processing, server hosting etc.You need to be more specific to get a logical answer to this, are you after a generic linux book? Example setups?
Last edited by Hansi on December 14th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markusslondon
Topic Author

Linux knowlegde

December 15th, 2011, 10:53 am

Thanks for your quick reply Hansi,I think it must be a quite generic book to start with, but are there any books like "Linux for financial engineers" or sth like this?What are they expecting when they mention in the job description Linux pre-knowledge? Is it enough if you know how to develope your software on Linux or run your programs in an Linux environment?thanks again Markus

Hansi

Linux knowlegde

December 15th, 2011, 12:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MarkusslondonI think it must be a quite generic book to start with, but are there any books like "Linux for financial engineers" or sth like this?Doubt it, I'd classify all Linux skills as IT ones instead of quant specific. I've never read a book on the topic and have mainly slowly picked up familiarity by needing a problem solved and then finding solutions online. It's worked fine so far but then again I'm not a sysadmin.But book wise I've heard great things about the following: heard this one was good, but a bit big: O'reilly pocket books are good too. I have this one on my desk for those times I need a quick reference for the more obscure stuff: also do a Linux focused one: posted by: MarkusslondonWhat are they expecting when they mention in the job description Linux pre-knowledge?If I placed it on a job advert I'd expect them to know:- basic processing for files in bash or an applicable shell- how to use some basic applications svn, git, find, sed, awk etc + net related ones.- the file system layout and where things are and should be located- where the main config setups are and how to work with them- how to work with cron or launchd or alternative- how to compile and install software- setup and register new services/server apps
Last edited by Hansi on December 14th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markusslondon
Topic Author

Linux knowlegde

December 15th, 2011, 12:43 pm

Thank you very much Hansi this helps me alotcheersMarkus

quantmeh

Linux knowlegde

December 15th, 2011, 1:50 pm

don't learn anything "for quant". it's pointless. just learn Linux. install it somewhere, or better get the server at work, and do everything on it. i mean all your work, you'll master it in a few weeks.

dd3

Linux knowlegde

December 16th, 2011, 6:19 pm

I had always assumed that when Linux was mentioned on a job in finance that they wanted guys who could compile and tune the kernel,not the mundane Linux-101 stuff

Hansi

Linux knowlegde

December 16th, 2011, 6:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: dd3I had always assumed that when Linux was mentioned on a job in finance that they wanted guys who could compile and tune the kernel,not the mundane Linux-101 stuffIf I were looking for someone for something like that I'd be quite explicit about it and not just write "Must know Linux".

Polter

Linux knowlegde

December 16th, 2011, 7:15 pm

This one fits "Linux knowledge" criterion (from the developer's point of view, rather than sys-admin's one, which I think is an advantage given the context):http://nostarch.com/tlpihttp://man7.org/tlpi/
Last edited by Polter on December 15th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

renorm

Linux knowlegde

December 17th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Excellent reference. There are also several books by Stevens & friends.

willsmith

Linux knowlegde

December 23rd, 2011, 6:03 am

If you're the guy recompiling and tuning the kernel, you probably don't need to know much about finance. One of those "financial knowledge beneficial but not essential type of jobs". I'm not demeaning kernel hacking, I am a co-author on a SSD-caching Linux device driver layer. But those skills don't interact with financial skills.

Jew

Linux knowlegde

December 23rd, 2011, 7:11 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: willsmithIf you're the guy recompiling and tuning the kernel, you probably don't need to know much about finance. One of those "financial knowledge beneficial but not essential type of jobs". I'm not demeaning kernel hacking, I am a co-author on a SSD-caching Linux device driver layer. But those skills don't interact with financial skills.I think that a topic starter don't needs in kernel building or driver building skills .To topic starter: I think that learning of certain OS implementation is unnecessary procedure. If you really want to build, for example, HFT-system that should use system calls, advanced memory management, devices communication etc. you just need to read a Tanenbaum's famous book to understand OS basics and several other to understand specific areas of how OS works.
Last edited by Jew on December 22nd, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.