Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Traden4Alpha

Lotus Notes Hall of Shame

May 12th, 2014, 9:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunThere has been a lot of debate in UI design about that floppy.Anyone who works with hardware would NEVER push the "O" icon on an unsaved document(Methinks the "O" is an abstraction of a disk which is silly in this day and age of flash storage!) P.S. What the hell is a "folder" and what does it fold?
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on May 11th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax
Topic Author

May 13th, 2014, 6:53 am

A friend of mine had some of his friends from the US over. They could not work out how to swtich something on as it did not have ON/OFF written but this:Which in Europe is the international sign for the power switch. I assume that is because of the multi-language facets of Europe over US. It is a very technical symbol however representing a 1 and 0.
Last edited by rmax on May 12th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax
Topic Author

May 19th, 2014, 11:12 am

Trying to select some e-mail addresses on the address line. If the address line spans more than one line (often the case in LN because of the suffix applied to the e-mails) if you are trying to select the names (for example to copy and paste elswhere), the selection does not behave as selections normally would viz: if you are on the bottom line of the addresses and hold shift key to move up a line, all characters between those are selected. However if you try and lengthen the selection,it will just shorten the selected characters from the other end of the selection.

rmax
Topic Author

May 19th, 2014, 11:41 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunthat sounds like normal behaviourabcd|ef<arrow up>ab|cdef<arrow right>abc|defBad description on my part then:abcdefghijk|<arrow up>abc|defghijk<arrow left>ab|cdefghijk

DominicConnor

May 19th, 2014, 2:00 pm

Rmax, I can deduce that your employer has at one stage done a lot of business with IBM, because Notes is very rarely to be found except where it was part of "making IBM happy".At PC Magazine we had Notes, it was hated by everyone Windows nerds, OS/2 geeks, Mac Fanbois, software types, hardware people, ad sales, admin, people who wanted to run every aspect of their lives (including their rare sex episodes) through their phones, HR and even the cartoonist. To quote a lawyer doing major work for IBM it's a "fucking pile of shit", when I was at PriceWaterhouseCoopers, random people in elevators would exchange war stories of the fuckwittedness of Notes. It is said that eskimos have 24 words for snow, that may or may not be true, I do know there are dozens of icons for "wait interminably whilst I sort my cocksucking data out" in Notes.At PC Mag we printed a cartoon of two jungle explorers whose camp was wrecked by a giant gorilla, they were then chased up a tree and the gorilla started destroying their camp. The gorilla then picks up a laptop with Notes on it, so one of the explorers says "Oh God, he's got Notes, were really in trouble now..."One day, tomorrow or in ten years time, I expect to get an urgent email dated 2005 from a Notes user at a big bank saying "Dominic, you've got to let the world know, there is a big crash coming, Lehmans will blow up, the global economy will crash and all we have to do is simply cv;kjsdf09uretr-318r23049=40294-90d=sa0D=-=sd-0sD=-das=d-0sd=-0S=a-dsa=d-0S=S-ADAS=D-s=d-SAD=-s0dsad8D-09s8d-0S9D8-09d7-"Because Notes can cause multi-year backlogs in email and corrupts them out of spite.
Last edited by DominicConnor on May 18th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax
Topic Author

May 19th, 2014, 4:33 pm

If I had a time machine, I would not go back and try and kill Hitler or anything stupid like that. I would just get to Ray Ozzie, sit him down and have a frank conversation about what he would be proposing. I would liken LN to Ebola, SARS and H1N1 so he got the full picture (although SARS would of course not have happened then). I am sure he is a reasonable guy. Wouldn't anyone change their ways if they saw they destruction and misery that they would cause when they hit the compile button?

rmax
Topic Author

May 23rd, 2014, 1:14 pm

Two things today:1. If someone reschedules a meeting the alert still comes up for the original time2. You CAN use the view schedule to change the meeting time, but you need to double click to move it. Why double click? You are not opening anything which is standard (apart from hyperlinks), or selecting across a range (as in Excel). WTF were they thinking?

Hansi

May 23rd, 2014, 2:35 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxTwo things today:1. If someone reschedules a meeting the alert still comes up for the original timeEven if you accept the update?

rmax
Topic Author

May 23rd, 2014, 2:57 pm

Yes - of course.
Last edited by rmax on May 22nd, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax
Topic Author

June 30th, 2014, 4:04 pm

So next neat thing in the hell that is Lotus Notes.I deleted an e-mail in error. Shock horror... But is of course OK as there is a Rubbish Bin (that is Trash can for our friends in the US). So I then click and drag the deleted e-mail back into my Inbox. First of all I find it tricky because the whole row in the mail is outlined to move, and also a but tricky because some of the places I can't drag to because they are views (OK I can live with the latter - not neat, but hey). So I finally manage to drag the mail to the Inbox... What happens? A cute message appears saying that I can't do that, but I need to use Restore instead. So the things it could have done:1/ Stopped me doing this action from the trash2/ Execute whatever the restore option does (BTW: Right click only folks to find that option)3/ Allow the click and drag functionality, but show the "no-limit" icon on the inbox.I would go for #1, as I don't think you can click and drag anything from the trash anywhere else.

Traden4Alpha

June 30th, 2014, 5:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxSo next neat thing in the hell that is Lotus Notes.I deleted an e-mail in error. Shock horror... But is of course OK as there is a Rubbish Bin (that is Trash can for our friends in the US). So I then click and drag the deleted e-mail back into my Inbox. First of all I find it tricky because the whole row in the mail is outlined to move, and also a but tricky because some of the places I can't drag to because they are views (OK I can live with the latter - not neat, but hey). So I finally manage to drag the mail to the Inbox... What happens? A cute message appears saying that I can't do that, but I need to use Restore instead. So the things it could have done:1/ Stopped me doing this action from the trash2/ Execute whatever the restore option does (BTW: Right click only folks to find that option)3/ Allow the click and drag functionality, but show the "no-limit" icon on the inbox.I would go for #1, as I don't think you can click and drag anything from the trash anywhere else.LOL! This reminds me of a common problem I have with Word. I'll have deleted a chunk of text with track changes on and then decide I'd like to copy that text to put somewhere else. Word lets me see the text. Word lets me select the text. But when I try Copy (or Cut), Word complains that it's deleted text. So, then I have to undelete the text, select the text again, and Cut the text to copy it and redelete it. WTF!I'm a firm believer that if the computer says "you can't do that" it's due to programmer's (not the user's) incompetence. In general, every command {Y} should work in all contexts {X} with the computer doing something sensible. At the very worst, the computer might ask "Are you sure you want to ...." but it should still do something in all but the most egregiously inconsistent scenarios.