SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Matlab vs C# for a start in programming

May 16th, 2014, 12:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomais matlab a programming language?Yes, it has classes, anonymous functions and all that shit.

Cuchulainn

May 16th, 2014, 12:42 pm

Quoteit has classes,Since recently.

katastrofa

May 16th, 2014, 12:43 pm

2008 or so.

Cuchulainn

May 16th, 2014, 12:46 pm

There's a very good post by @yurakm In the days when there were discussions.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 15th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

May 16th, 2014, 12:52 pm

What would you like to talk about?

exneratunrisk

May 16th, 2014, 5:26 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rolandograndiHi tagoma, my question was more focused in where should I concentrate my efforts: Matlab or C#?What I need is to manage a portfolio, so pricing, risk management, algo trading, quantitative analysis and execution are the most importants needs.1. Do you want to become a great programmer or a great portfolio manager? 2. How much do you want to reinvent (to gain insight)? What are the common functions of your applications - portfolio-across-scenario valuation .......?If you want to make (and not buy), I second Polter.
Last edited by exneratunrisk on May 15th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maosika

May 21st, 2014, 7:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rolandograndi Actually I have a medium-good level in Excel and VBA.!First I recommended you before starting to learn any programming language to finish to learn Excel and VBA until you master it. If you want to get good programming level first start by mastering what you already know.
Last edited by Maosika on May 20th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

May 22nd, 2014, 7:13 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: MaosikaQuoteOriginally posted by: rolandograndi Actually I have a medium-good level in Excel and VBA.!First I recommended you before starting to learn any programming language to finish to learn Excel and VBA until you master it. If you want to get good programming level first start by mastering what you already know.Reinforcement of old (bad?) habits?

rolandograndi
Topic Author

May 26th, 2014, 12:20 pm

exneratunrisk, I want to be a great portfolio managerand I also prefer building my own tools. I want to build different type of tools. Screeners to follow many stocks and get alerts. Valuations tools. Modeling derivatives. Calculate risk indicators. Hedge/Adjust exposure. Build different scenarios and test them. Backtest and stresstest.Maosika, I think it is better to lear something new. Of course I will continue using VBA but learning a new language may also improve my skills in VBA.Cuchulainn, I agree with you, not learning a new language can male me reinforce old bad habits. Or at least, not to learn new ways of doing things.

exneratunrisk

May 28th, 2014, 1:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rolandograndiexneratunrisk, I want to be a great portfolio managerand I also prefer building my own tools. I want to build different type of tools. Screeners to follow many stocks and get alerts. Valuations tools. Modeling derivatives. Calculate risk indicators. Hedge/Adjust exposure. Build different scenarios and test them. Backtest and stresstest.Maosika, I think it is better to lear something new. Of course I will continue using VBA but learning a new language may also improve my skills in VBA.Cuchulainn, I agree with you, not learning a new language can male me reinforce old bad habits. Or at least, not to learn new ways of doing things.Ambitious objective. Consequently, I recommend Python or Wolfram Language - both for programming in a bottom-up fashion. From the beginning, you may want to organize instruments-models-methods orthogonally.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On