SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Maosika
Topic Author

Matlab vs Octave

May 21st, 2014, 7:22 pm

I just discovered a programing tool called Octave a few weeks ago. The language is almost identical to basic Matlab. The discriminating difference is that Octave is open source and free. I read that it's was also compatible with Matlab, and I wanted to learn Matlab programming for long time so that I can conduct some researh/analysis on my own and also, so that I can study/modify some Matlab scripts that I have found online etc.However, the problem is that I can't afford Matlab. GNU Octave, from what I have heard, is quite Matlab compatible. The challenge with Octave though is that the documentation is very sparse.I am thinking of downloading and installing Octave and FreeMat, but using Matlab documentation (and scripts) to help me get going. I am aware that there are some differences between Octave and MATLAB, but I wonder if it's possible to use Matlab code into Octave. Because I really want to use Octave this free open source program to learn Matlab.Any constructive feedback or advices are welcome.
Last edited by Maosika on May 20th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagoma

Matlab vs Octave

May 21st, 2014, 7:27 pm

Matlab as many factories that Octave just doesn't have.There are several MOOCs available that may be of help depending on what you wish to accomplish, eg the Scientific Computing course at Coursera (I am not affiliated with them or whatsoever).BTW, one can live pretty well without Matlab, eg Hansi, a senior member here, has commented many times that one can do anything with R.
Last edited by tagoma on May 20th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polter

Matlab vs Octave

May 21st, 2014, 8:20 pm

Don't bother.Go with Python (keywords: Scipy Stack and PyLab); see:http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm? ... 842#713789

Hansi

Matlab vs Octave

May 21st, 2014, 8:39 pm

Octave is viable in order to learn basic Matlab use but there are some differences: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MATLAB_Pr ... _MATLABThe reason however for Matlab prevailing in industry is because of strong toolboxes which Octave only has a small portion of and also people being familiar and comfortable with it from University.Most of the sell side research quants we meet on a regular basis tell us they've been starting new things in R or migrating completely because of preference for R or simply to clear up Matlab licensing costs for other things.But if you've never been exposed to much programming in any interactive language going with Octave won't cause any harm. Just don't put Matlab on your CV afterwards, and if you put Octave make sure to note it's self study and not from an actual project.

Hansi

Matlab vs Octave

May 21st, 2014, 8:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PolterDon't bother.Go with Python (keywords: Scipy Stack and PyLab); see:http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm? ... 713789That highly depends on the persons affinity for programming, for throwing stuff together and getting an answer most research quants I work with preferusing R, VBA, Matlab etc. only those with proper understanding of programming will opt for a more complete language like Python, C++, C#, F#, Java, Scala etc.

katastrofa

Matlab vs Octave

May 22nd, 2014, 9:41 am

Python is one of the easiest languages in the world.

Cuchulainn

Matlab vs Octave

May 22nd, 2014, 9:56 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaPython is one of the easiest languages in the world.I had dinner with a lady last night who translated Dijkstra's A Method of Programming and was ex-colleague of Guido van Rossum in Amsterdam. Rumour has it that he developed Python once over the Christmas period and he had to keep it secret ....
Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 21st, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

Matlab vs Octave

May 22nd, 2014, 10:26 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: HansiQuoteOriginally posted by: PolterDon't bother.Go with Python (keywords: Scipy Stack and PyLab); see:http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm? ... 713789That highly depends on the persons affinity for programming, for throwing stuff together and getting an answer most research quants I work with preferusing R, VBA, Matlab etc. only those with proper understanding of programming will opt for a more complete language like Python, C++, C#, F#, Java, Scala etc.I've used Matlab since my childhood years (including a couple of toolboxes) and started switching to Python only recently: I wouldn't say the latter is more complete. I guess I have a lot to learn...a
Last edited by katastrofa on May 21st, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maosika
Topic Author

Matlab vs Octave

May 22nd, 2014, 2:18 pm

Thank you all for your great advices, I will take them into consideration since many people said to me to learn Python and R. I will learn them after having finished learning and mastering GNU.Octave since I have so much free time.
Last edited by Maosika on May 21st, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

Matlab vs Octave

May 22nd, 2014, 3:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaPython is one of the easiest languages in the world.I had dinner with a lady last night who translated Dijkstra's A Method of Programming and was ex-colleague of Guido van Rossum in Amsterdam. Rumour has it that he developed Python once over the Christmas period and he had to keep it secret ....Python would be an even cooler language if van Rossum changed his name to van Possum. Imagine that!

Cuchulainn

Matlab vs Octave

May 22nd, 2014, 3:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaPython is one of the easiest languages in the world.I had dinner with a lady last night who translated Dijkstra's A Method of Programming and was ex-colleague of Guido van Rossum in Amsterdam. Rumour has it that he developed Python once over the Christmas period and he had to keep it secret ....Python would be an even cooler language if van Rossum changed his name to van Possum. Imagine that!And lite version such as Tasmanian pygmy Possum for embedded controllers, like Simulink and Matlab.

katastrofa

Matlab vs Octave

May 22nd, 2014, 7:49 pm

a

Cuchulainn

Matlab vs Octave

May 22nd, 2014, 7:56 pm

Heard good things about libs

katastrofa

Matlab vs Octave

May 22nd, 2014, 8:08 pm

If I had two fish in a tank, I would totally name them Scipy and Numpy now.

Cuchulainn

Matlab vs Octave

May 23rd, 2014, 9:24 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaIf I had two fish in a tank, I would totally name them Scipy and Numpy now.And for persistence, a tatoo.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On