SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: Python tricks

July 10th, 2019, 7:27 am

I learned from the best!
It's not about the quality of the master, it's about the strength of electric shocks.

Let's return to our pythons, as they say, before Cuchulainn gets upset and takes it out on me as usual.

Cuchulainn

July 10th, 2019, 8:13 am

If you expect every language to work like C#, why not stick to C#?

Python is different from C# which is different from JavaScript which is different from C which is different from VBA which is...

Let 1,000 languages bloom!
Oh dear boy! 
You missed the point.
What is your point? (intercultural differences?)
No two languages are ever sufficiently similar to be considered as representing the same social reality. The worlds in which different societies live are distinct worlds, not merely the same world with different labels attached
Edward Sapir
  • The strong version says that language determines thought and that linguistic categories limit and determine cognitive categories.
  • The weak version says that linguistic categories and usage only influence thought and decisions.

Cuchulainn

July 10th, 2019, 8:46 am

I learned from the best!
It's not about the quality of the master, it's about the strength of electric shocks.

Let's return to our pythons, as they say, before Cuchulainn gets upset and takes it out on me as usual.

katastrofa

July 10th, 2019, 8:47 am

World is big - what different persons see may not even overlap. "What appears to us, what we experience and what we are aware of is a function of language we use."

Cuchulainn

July 10th, 2019, 12:33 pm

A nice project it to rewrite the 50-year old Fortran libraries LAPACK, QUADPACK etc. in native Python.

ISayMoo

July 10th, 2019, 12:44 pm

That's not what Python was meant for. You're far better off calling those libraries from Python, passing them Numpy arrays as argument to chew over.

ISayMoo

July 10th, 2019, 12:44 pm

World is big - what different persons see may not even overlap. "What appears to us, what we experience and what we are aware of is a function of language we use."
What if one does not use any language?

Cuchulainn

July 10th, 2019, 1:00 pm

I think that it is good that tuples in Python (and C#) are immutable. Not so in C++ .. try (un)packing a tuple 500 X 1000'000 times.

Cuchulainn

July 10th, 2019, 1:02 pm

That's not what Python was meant for. You're far better off calling those libraries from Python, passing them Numpy arrays as argument to chew over.
OK, so why is is bad to call Boost rb trees from Python? An extra layer of indirection?

tagoma
Topic Author

July 10th, 2019, 1:09 pm

[...]
Note to the experts here dissing Python: unlike some of you, I actually make a living coding in Python ;-) and not because I don't know C++ either. I can use both (and more), depending on what needs to be done.
Python hacking, C++ hacking, ... p-hacking? ;-)
I'm using Python too (for initial data analysis). It's just as buggy as Matlab.
Can you please be more specific about the Python language defects you face?

katastrofa

July 10th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Nothing, I guess. One has some subjective experience of the (realistic or not) world. Maybe similar minds experience it similarly?

"Can you please be more specific about the Python language defects you face?"
Panda licks.

FaridMoussaoui

July 10th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Python itself is written in C. The compilation on Linux is seamless (e.g clone the repo, ./configure ; make ; make install).

On the other side, Cshit is not a universal language (only available for windowsers).

ISayMoo

July 10th, 2019, 4:33 pm

OK, so why is is bad to call Boost rb trees from Python? An extra layer of indirection?
Who said it's bad?

ISayMoo

July 10th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Nothing, I guess. One has some subjective experience of the (realistic or not) world. Maybe similar minds experience it similarly?
"Of course, what I felt then as an ape I can represent now only in human terms, and therefore I misrepresent it."

katastrofa

July 11th, 2019, 4:49 am

I'm reading that Kafka and Spiro were peers.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On