Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Traden4Alpha

Fifteen years from now: can you predict the Software Landscape in anno 2030?

February 13th, 2015, 12:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnVint Cerf and the Era of Digital Darkness After the fall of the Roman Empire, a dark age came in which a large part of the ancient knowledge was lost in Europe. Manuscripts were destroyed in wars and fires, or became illegible before getting transcribed. Much of their content had to be re-discovered, but it took centuries to recover it.This problem seems overblown to me unless one is a historian or a packrat. Any knowledge that's in digital objects that is actually important for today and tomorrow tends to get distributed to many locations and does get translated to new formats. Plus, there's always keeping some old hardware around or using an emulator.Most ancient knowledge really isn't worth much except as trivia or anecdote. Just follow the old rule about the boxes of stuff one moves to a new house, if there's some stuff that's still sitting packed in boxes after a year, throw it out!P.S. I say this as a packrat who still has every computer and every hard disk I've ever owned. If I needed one of my spreadsheets from 1987, I'm sure that I could get at least one computer and one hard disk running and resurrect it. But the number of times I've had to do this in the last nearly 30 years is zero.

Cuchulainn

February 13th, 2015, 1:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnVint Cerf and the Era of Digital Darkness After the fall of the Roman Empire, a dark age came in which a large part of the ancient knowledge was lost in Europe. Manuscripts were destroyed in wars and fires, or became illegible before getting transcribed. Much of their content had to be re-discovered, but it took centuries to recover it.This problem seems overblown to me unless one is a historian or a packrat. Any knowledge that's in digital objects that is actually important for today and tomorrow tends to get distributed to many locations and does get translated to new formats. Plus, there's always keeping some old hardware around or using an emulator.Most ancient knowledge really isn't worth much except as trivia or anecdote. Just follow the old rule about the boxes of stuff one moves to a new house, if there's some stuff that's still sitting packed in boxes after a year, throw it out!P.S. I say this as a packrat who still has every computer and every hard disk I've ever owned. If I needed one of my spreadsheets from 1987, I'm sure that I could get at least one computer and one hard disk running and resurrect it. But the number of times I've had to do this in the last nearly 30 years is zero.I have someTK50 (DEC)paper tape (TTP)800 bpi tapeword perfect files===QuoteThis problem seems overblown to me unless one is a historian [..]I think you are missing the point. 'Posterity' is the key word here.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 14th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

February 28th, 2015, 7:22 pm

OpenStack?

Cuchulainn

March 19th, 2015, 10:59 am

Software Standards for financial software??Some developers use Next32() while others use (). Why not just one standard?CAD does it with STEP
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 18th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

May 2nd, 2015, 8:06 am

Crisis, what software crisis (May 2015 the whole project has been shut down.)QuoteFour senior officials at the defence ministry are being replaced because of continued ICT failures and internal disputes, defence minister Jeanine Hennis said on Tuesday.The removals follow a string of problems with defence ministry IT systems, which are not only old but do not have enough reserve capacity, the minister said in a briefing to parliament.?This has risks for the continuity of operations and demands direct intervention,? the minister said.The problem stems from a difficult relationship between two organisations responsible for the department?s ICT, Hennis said. An army colonel, a general and two civilians are being replaced.The defence ministry has being trying to automate its logitistics processes since 2005 and the audit office said in January the project has so far cost four times the budget. It should have been completed in 2009 but is still only at 80%.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 1st, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

June 1st, 2015, 7:22 am

COBOL?

Traden4Alpha

June 1st, 2015, 9:46 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnCOBOL?We'll know it's a trend when Microsoft introduces COBOL#.

Cuchulainn

June 1st, 2015, 10:33 am

QuoteCOBOL programs are in use globally in governmental and military agencies, in commercial enterprises, and on operating systems such as IBM's z/OS, Microsoft's Windows, and the POSIX families (Unix/Linux etc.). In 1997, the Gartner Group reported that 80% of the world's business ran on COBOL with over 200 billion lines of code in existence and with an estimated 5 billion lines of new code annually.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 31st, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

June 1st, 2015, 11:09 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnCOBOL?We'll know it's a trend when Microsoft introduces COBOL#.For some time...It's called NetCOBOL.

Traden4Alpha

June 1st, 2015, 11:30 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnCOBOL?We'll know it's a trend when Microsoft introduces COBOL#.For some time...It's called NetCOBOL.LOL! I was just kidding!Dare I ask if COBOL runs on smartphones????

Cuchulainn

June 1st, 2015, 11:46 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnCOBOL?We'll know it's a trend when Microsoft introduces COBOL#.For some time...It's called NetCOBOL.LOL! I was just kidding!Dare I ask if COBOL runs on smartphones????It's not a consumer product :D

Traden4Alpha

June 1st, 2015, 12:09 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnCOBOL?We'll know it's a trend when Microsoft introduces COBOL#.For some time...It's called NetCOBOL.LOL! I was just kidding!Dare I ask if COBOL runs on smartphones????It's not a consumer product :DMaybe not. Yet I can't help but think that smartphones have so much intrinsic computational power that some enterprising soul will find a way to run a company off "Tiny Iron" -- a smartphone configured as a wifi hotspot and running enterprise software including COBOL.In the past, military and enterprise drove R&D and stuff eventually trickled down to consumers. But now consumer technology is at such a large scale that the arrow may be pointing the other way. That trend will probably strengthen as the next billion people in Asia, South America, etc. join the middle class.

Traden4Alpha

June 1st, 2015, 2:52 pm

People now share about 2 billion images per day. I'd bet one could analyze that stream to detect product sales trends, clothing trends, and even agricultural data (based on analyzing any foliage visible in the background of geocoded images).You are right about the commoditization of the back office data systems and the real value being in the intelligent analysis on top of that data. To me, the real power will come from automating the non-intuitive statistical/empirical reasoning algorithms that prevent over-fitting and other kinds of reasoning fallacies. Stuff like detecting correlation vs. causality will be really important.