SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

pcerutti
Topic Author

Free boundary problems

December 29th, 2003, 10:03 am

Merry Christmas and happy new year to everybody.I'm looking for some books or lecture notes about free boundary problems arising in PDE.Any suggestions?Many thanks.Pierluigi

exotiq

Free boundary problems

December 29th, 2003, 1:05 pm

I once remember seeing PDEs related to this in the topic of fluid mechanics. Hopefully that gives you a useful area to start searching.

WaaghBakri

Free boundary problems

December 31st, 2003, 2:10 am

Some keywords you might want to try:water waves, jets, groundwater flows, cavitation, ....For water waves try the excellent book by CC Mei ..... I think/believe most of the above tend to be ideal fluid flows consequently the PDE tends to be linear while the BCs tend to be nonlinear.......IAnother one that I recall is that of a solvent poured on a spinning disc (I believe an application of interest in the semi-conductor industry).....one lands up with Navier-Stokes plus a free-surface........Its been a long time since I've dabbled in these .... so I might be a bit off the mark...
Last edited by WaaghBakri on December 30th, 2003, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On