Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

AnalyticalVega
Topic Author

Best C++ Book for Quant Finance Interview?

October 7th, 2013, 2:35 pm

What is the best book C++ book to help pass the the coding part of the interview? Let's say you could only read one book before your interview, which one would it be?I found this one:http://quantstart.com/cpp-for-quantitat ... kobviously you would need to practice by creating applications as well.

QuantOption

October 9th, 2013, 4:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaWhat is the best book C++ book to help pass the the coding part of the interview? Let's say you could only read one book before your interview, which one would it be?I'd go for Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs

Cuchulainn

October 11th, 2013, 8:06 am

You can't prepare by reading books (alone). That's nonsense.What happens if interviewer goes outside your 'comfort zone', i.e. asks more difficult questions? Ouch
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 10th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polter

October 11th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Indeed, the one book constraint is a bit tricky, so I suppose what you've got to do is to go with either N3690 or N3691 (or earlier equivalents where applicable) and sufficiently solid logical reasoning skills (so you can deduce all the implications, etc.). Good luck!

Cuchulainn

October 11th, 2013, 3:31 pm

And maybe Singleton pattern in all its glory People do seem to like it..
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 10th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuantOption

October 11th, 2013, 7:57 pm

QuoteWhat happens if interviewer goes outside your 'comfort zone', i.e. asks more difficult questions? OuchYou simply reply that you don't know. If they start asking very difficult questions, you know they are not looking for a quant ...

Cuchulainn

October 12th, 2013, 9:07 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: QuantOptionQuoteWhat happens if interviewer goes outside your 'comfort zone', i.e. asks more difficult questions? OuchYou simply reply that you don't know. If they start asking very difficult questions, you know they are not looking for a quant ...Really? So, OP can rest assured that he won't be asked difficult questions.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 11th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus

October 14th, 2013, 2:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaWhat is the best book C++ book to help pass the the coding part of the interview? Let's say you could only read one book before your interview, which one would it be?I found this one:http://quantstart.com/cpp-for-quantitat ... kobviously you would need to practice by creating applications as well.I would get the latest version of The C++ programming Language - the introductory chapters (1-5) should cover most things that will come up in an interview. And you can use the rest of the book for reference once you get the job.