SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

exneratunrisk

why happiness is ultimate the goal ?

April 13th, 2013, 5:58 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alpha QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaOn cuisine, I'd have to rate all high-GDP countries as equally happy because all of them (at least in the larger cities) offer all cuisines. And as much as I love French, Italian, or Spanish cuisine I couldn't be happy in a place where one of those cuisines dominated. Thus, I'd actually rank Singapore higher because the place offers a much richer range of cuisines. The only culinary failing of Singapore is in the deserts department but I think this is because the Chinese lack the sweet-tooth sensibilities of the Europeans (genetics????). I think variety is not the whole answerFor some people (like me), it's a huge % of the answer. I, for one, would be seriously unhappy if I were forced to pick a single country's cuisine.QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote On music, the world is practically uniform. Given access to iTunes or a similar library, anyone anywhere can listen to anything.You wouldnt think that if you watched the Eurovision on Saturday nightAnd that's the flipside of access to every kind of music. One does not have to listen to Eurovision unless one wants to.There are three different sorts of cuisine in any country:a) What has been historically available, the natural cuisine so to speakb) What is available, thanks to immigration or globalization or whatever...although maybe this only applies to big citiesc) What the natives eat in their homesThe UK has always been good with (a). It used to be awful with (b) but now beats most places. But (c)...I shudder at the thought of what you still might get in a typical UK home. The rest of Europe ties with the UK on (a). Loses on (b) but wins bigtime on (c).The Far East is ok on (a), pretty poor on (b), but rather good on (c). (Except for desserts, indeed!)The US is ok on (a), assuming a lot was from the UK, good on (b) and good on (c).That's my Grand Unified Foodie Theory or GUFT (which is also the sound I make when offered another helping of spotted dick).PA great categorizationItaly's cuisine is built on c) even the celebrated Michelin star restaurants highlight "home made pasta". It is often the simplest and IMO one of the best. "Le Calande" my prototypepointedly said, Aistria and Germany need to rely on b) maybe Benelux as wel?lScandinavia as the UK takes the power from a) The "Noma", "Faeviken Magasinet" .... even created a new style and worldwide benchmarkSouth East Asia from c) ... Thai cousine probably the best on c) worldwide?Japan a) dominated and China? Food constructors since and forever? Most of the food hunters travel and search in far and south east...However, "The Yorke Arms" (1 star) would have 3 stars in Paris and some 3 star restaurants of Paris would have 1 star in Yorkshire.My favorite French restaurant is in London, and the chef is Australian Still myths around.But the best cook books: Escoffier and Ducasse.The best evidence of wordwide ciusine and top restaurants: "the Culinary Chronicle'", unfortunately completely sold out.All IMO.
Last edited by exneratunrisk on April 12th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exneratunrisk

April 13th, 2013, 10:46 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ExSanNYT - A Short Shelf Life People are most happy to buy things they do not need and cannot afford to show their neighbour that they can buy thing they do not need ... If you substitute "buy" by "marry" and "things" by ....

ExSan
Topic Author

January 20th, 2014, 12:30 pm

NYT - Greed is gooood, or not !?QuoteDESPITE my realizations, it was incredibly difficult to leave.I wanted a billion dollars. It's staggering to think that in the course of five years, I'd gone from being thrilled at my first bonus "$40,000" to being disappointed when, my second year at the hedge fund, I was paid "only" $1.5 million.I did a ton of money
Last edited by ExSan on January 19th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExSan
Topic Author

February 20th, 2014, 11:41 am

ExSan
Topic Author

April 19th, 2014, 8:32 pm

someone on Bill Maher talk show quote----------------happiness is the end goal, but the pursuing path is what really matters----------------

tagoma

April 19th, 2014, 8:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ExSansomeone on Bill Maher talk show quote----------------happiness is the end goal, but the pursuing path is what really matters----------------Happiness is a process! I've been claiming this for years!

ExSan
Topic Author

July 21st, 2014, 11:02 pm

NYT - Love People, Not PleasureWhat do fame, wealth and lots of sex bring? Exactly the opposite of what you think.

trackstar

July 21st, 2014, 11:23 pm

Saw Wolf of Wall Street last night on DVD. Copious amounts of Sex and Drugs and lots of laughs...But nowhere near enough Rock and Roll!No wonder all of the quants who have ever lived in NYC are totally jaded though. S&D&R&R - Ian DuryAs for emotion - turn this up real loud.Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith
Last edited by trackstar on July 21st, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagoma

September 17th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Hapiness is boring

Cuchulainn

September 18th, 2015, 9:05 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaHapiness is boringTrains run on time.

ExSan
Topic Author

September 18th, 2015, 10:12 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaHapiness is boringTrains run on time.it was in a report or index blog that Colombia was ranked the happiest country in the world, then Dominican Republic, and believe me, they are not boring

Cuchulainn

Re: why happiness is ultimate the goal ?

September 10th, 2019, 3:58 pm

katastrofa

September 10th, 2019, 9:42 pm

I currently practice being unhappy and miserable. I've never been happier in my life.

Cuchulainn

September 11th, 2019, 10:00 am

I currently practice being unhappy and miserable. I've never been happier in my life.
Good. Implies one can concentrate on the important things.

And some people are just always happy. So annoying.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7adi7OMaWnA

trackstar

September 11th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Here’s something to cheer you up - I was in a car accident recently.

No, not driving under any influence; some one was accelerating across lanes of traffic and rammed me.

I’m not dead yet though.

Is that an annoyingly happy attitude or what?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On