SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer
Topic Author

Earth to end in about a month

August 30th, 2016, 11:25 pm

At least two objects, which a combined width of perhaps several thousand feet, are headed directly toward Earth at around 1 million miles per hour, from the direction of Tabby's star. Traveling at this rate, you can expect them in around a month. This first silhouette of the objects was captured on March 5, 2011. At this time, the objects were so far away, they were observed as a single spot between us and Tabby's star.
By February 28, 2013, the cluster had gotten close enough that they began to appear as separate objects.

Then by April 17, 2013, they got close enough to separate and reflect light from Tabby's star, resulting in an apparent increase in brightness, above anything possible from the star itself, from the direction of the star. The increase in brightness above 100 around 1550 indicates a large smooth surface on the object, parallel with its path of approach from the direction of Tabby's star.
Assuming a speed of about 1 million miles per hour, and a combined width of half a mile, these two objects would have been blocking light from an area of Tabby's star about 287,000 times their actual size. This put them about 0.005159 light years, or about 3.4 years away at the time the second silhouette was captured. Meaning they should be getting here pretty soon.

There can be no doubt, based on the increase in detail between the three silhouettes, that these objects are getting closer. There can be no doubt, based on the fact that they keep blocking the same star at different distances, that they are headed directly towards us. There can be no doubt, based on the reflection of light to more than 100% of what Tabby's star can produce, that they are pretty close.

ppauper

Re: Earth to end in about a month

August 30th, 2016, 11:52 pm

welcome back, we missed you

trackstar

August 31st, 2016, 12:22 am

What kind of language will our new guests speak and what will the agenda be?

farmer
Topic Author

August 31st, 2016, 12:50 am

My friend says the craft are probably bigger than a combined 2500 feet, and reflecting our own sun, simply from the direction of Tabby's star, to create the observed increased brightness of Tabby's star when the motion of the Earth carries us across their path. This would make sense if they were traveling faster than 1 million miles per hour, which would better explain the increase in detail over the three shots.

bearish

August 31st, 2016, 1:09 am

So, this means I should stop worrying about Trump? 

trackstar

August 31st, 2016, 1:25 am

They have been traveling for a few years, at least, but I bet the blip from the LHC caught their attention.

Hence 1 million mph now.  

"Earthlings, stop playing with things you do not understand!"

Meanwhile some people are trying to create black holes in lab environments and others are reworking certain essential equations and getting closer and closer to something completely different.

Yes, I think some beings of higher intelligence are on their way.  To warn, correct, advise, punish, award the Galactic Gold to.... who knows?

Traden4Alpha

August 31st, 2016, 1:30 am

Welcome back!

Color me skeptical on this extraterrestrial terror!

If this object occulted Tabby's star multiple times, it's probably quite far away because parallax shifts caused by the Earth's orbit around the sun would prevent alignment. Tabby's star is roughly 3.6 light seconds across. Earth's orbit spans 960 light seconds. Chances are the object is less than 5 light years from Tabby's star and more than 1475 light years from Earth. The closer th eobject gets, the more it will wander around the sky over the course of a year.

And in the unlikely event that the object is traveling on a straight line between Tabby's and some part of Earth's orbit (permitting occultations about once a year), there's about a 1 in 47,000 chance that the object will pass through Earth's orbit at the exact place and time that Earth is in that part of the orbit.

Moreover, nothing travels in a straight line in space, even light. Chances are the gravitational effects of the Sun or other planets will perturb the object's trajectory which makes a direct hit much less likely.

katastrofa

August 31st, 2016, 3:12 am

The Earth is evil. We don't need to grieve for it.

outrun

August 31st, 2016, 7:16 am

We should all move to the moon and leave evil Earth behind before it gets hit. 

fulmerspot

August 31st, 2016, 8:51 am

They have been traveling for a few years, at least, but I bet the blip from the LHC caught their attention.

Hence 1 million mph now.  

Meanwhile some people are trying to create black holes in lab environments and others are reworking certain essential equations and getting closer and closer to something completely different.

Yes, I think some beings of higher intelligence are on their way.  To warn, correct, advise, punish, award the Galactic Gold to.... who knows?
No one would have believed in the first years of the twenty first century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.
Cue the massive drum roll ....

Cuchulainn

August 31st, 2016, 9:12 am

I can throw my Nostradamus in the bin.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

fulmerspot

August 31st, 2016, 9:14 am

He'll know if you do.

Cuchulainn

August 31st, 2016, 9:20 am

He'll know if you do.
He's making a list
He's checking it twice
He's gonna find out
Who's naughty or nice
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

outrun

August 31st, 2016, 9:45 am

Hence 1 million mph now.  

No one would have believed in the first years of the twenty first century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.
Cue the massive drum roll ....
Lol, when I read this I hear Richard Burton!

Traden4Alpha

August 31st, 2016, 12:09 pm

The Earth is evil. We don't need to grieve for it.
The Earth is fine, it's that icky primate infestation on the surface that's both defined evil and then implemented it.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On