SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Collector

Re: Real men

September 13th, 2016, 3:49 pm

trackstar

September 13th, 2016, 6:46 pm

That provides enough detail to approximate one, but where is the soul?

some might say: A living entity composed of about 10^28 or 10^29 atoms.

trackstar

September 13th, 2016, 6:48 pm

But the Angels and the Devils are in the details!

Collector

September 13th, 2016, 7:08 pm

That provides enough detail to approximate one, but where is the soul?

some might say: A living entity composed of about 10^28 or 10^29 atoms.
true atoms has soul, but not the modern fairy tale composite model!

outrun
Topic Author

September 13th, 2016, 7:40 pm

Yes, if you look at this Taylor approximation then it's a bit flat
whereas the real thing is more like

trackstar

September 13th, 2016, 7:57 pm

As individualistic and rebellious as you are, I fear that you have succumbed to mainstream media hype.  

Are you sneak-watching episodes of the Kardashians too?  :D

I have never seen it.  But I am reading a book called "Love and Math: The Hidden Heart of Reality" and it is interesting, even though not everyone would agree with all of the fairy tales, ahem, I mean points told by Edward Frenkel.

Another book I am reading right now is "Just Six Numbers" by Martin Rees  Setting human beings aside for a moment, if the Universe has a soul, it might be represented by this collection.

But these are just vague thoughts while doing some relaxed reading under a deep blue sky with lush green trees all around.  :)

(and of course everyone can shoot holes in quasi-popularized accounts of high concepts in math and cosmology, but I am studying something in the publishing industry, so there is a reason behind the reason for my endeavor...)!
Last edited by trackstar on September 13th, 2016, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outrun
Topic Author

September 13th, 2016, 8:30 pm

You know me well! (Expect for the kadashians, that's more edouardo's thing)

Well I once saw Taylor Swift at the Graham Norton show, (first time) and she was really funny, and that feeling stuck.

Its extremely hot here! New heat records since they started tracking weather. Eating a plate of jalapeño peppers ..and drinking these strange wines is what real men do on days like this
;)

trackstar

September 13th, 2016, 8:37 pm

nice menu of "wines" LOL.

I am making a nice pot of whole wheat thin spaghetti with spicy arrabbiata sauce and will have some tofu panfried in olive oil with it.  Also a green salad with  heirloom tomatoes, and homemade garlic bread.

I will dine outside.  Maybe I will even open the bottle of red wine that had been in my cabinet waiting for the right occasion.

Or maybe not - if I do, I will have to cook with most of it, because I can't drink it all by myself, whether I am a real woman or not!

outrun
Topic Author

September 13th, 2016, 8:46 pm

Sounds delicious!

The wine card was of course a joke.
We also waste bottles of wine, we drink a glass each, vacuum vin it, and store it in the cabinet nect to four other vacuum vin-ed bottles that have turned into vinegar.

At some point I started to dislike feeling influenced (whatever type), I prefer to stay clear so that I can work on my projects. Only with a couple of good friends we can sometimes go party and regret it the next day. Happens at most once a year :-| 

bearish

September 13th, 2016, 10:37 pm

As individualistic and rebellious as you are, I fear that you have succumbed to mainstream media hype.  

Are you sneak-watching episodes of the Kardashians too?  :D

I have never seen it.  But I am reading a book called "Love and Math: The Hidden Heart of Reality" and it is interesting, even though not everyone would agree with all of the fairy tales, ahem, I mean points told by Edward Frenkel.

Another book I am reading right now is "Just Six Numbers" by Martin Rees  Setting human beings aside for a moment, if the Universe has a soul, it might be represented by this collection.

But these are just vague thoughts while doing some relaxed reading under a deep blue sky with lush green trees all around.  :)

(and of course everyone can shoot holes in quasi-popularized accounts of high concepts in math and cosmology, but I am studying something in the publishing industry, so there is a reason behind the reason for my endeavor...)!
I got Frenkel's book for Christmas a couple of years ago and (sort of) made sense of it for a while. But you realize the lack of editing, as well as the author's lack of empathy for his general readership, when he goes off the deep end with category theory and the Langlands program. 

trackstar

September 14th, 2016, 12:34 am

Interesting - thanks for that - will see how it goes along.

This might be of interest to you (and to all real men) - during the Cold War we used to make jokes about Russian Bears.

Now the Russians are Besieged by bears in a remote Arctic outpost

"The five researchers charged with staffing the outpost on Troynoy Island say that there are about 10 adult polar bears as well as cubs circling their base. A female polar bear spends nights perched outside the station's windows, making it dangerous for the scientists to exit. They have reportedly run out of flares and have lost at least one of their dogs to the arctic beasts."

Scary (and sad for the dog), but kind of funny too.  The worst thing may be that if the bears see flares often enough they will learn not to care about them - then there will be a bigger problem.  

What a weird experience.

fulmerspot

September 14th, 2016, 8:26 am

This might be of interest to you (and to all real men) - during the Cold War we used to make jokes about Russian Bears.

"The five researchers charged with staffing the outpost on Troynoy Island say that there are about 10 adult polar bears as well as cubs circling their base. A female polar bear spends nights perched outside the station's windows, making it dangerous for the scientists to exit. They have reportedly run out of flares and have lost at least one of their dogs to the arctic beasts."

Scary (and sad for the dog), but kind of funny too.  The worst thing may be that if the bears see flares often enough they will learn not to care about them - then there will be a bigger problem.  

What a weird experience.
Maybe they've just gathered with their littl'uns to watch the fireworks?
Herr KartoffelKopf

katastrofa

September 14th, 2016, 11:01 am

What a weird experience.
This is where men can prove their valour. Not like those pathetic old fatsos chasing poor terrified rabbits or foxes (often some troubled ones, kept by their thugs to be an easy catch for those gore-enjoying psychos) on horses with a herd of dogs... :-/

Cuchulainn

September 14th, 2016, 8:40 pm

Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Paul

September 14th, 2016, 10:14 pm

I've mentioned before that I have a crossbow given to me by the Collector. The draw weight is so large that I can't load it. He is a real man. I am not. You probably guessed this.

P
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On