Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ppauper

Re: Trump - the first 100 days

June 4th, 2017, 8:44 am

"Only CO2" doesn't control the climate. It is one among many factors. It is given more importance because human activity contributes more to this particular factor than others. 
Nobody agrees that Paris accord is pointless. 
you've backed off on your earlier statement that "Nobody believes that CO2 controls the climate," which would of course mean that there's no point in limiting CO2 production
The reality is that many warmers do believe (or at least claim) that CO2 is the primary driver of global warming, hence the Paris Accord
here's warmer-in-chief algore talking about CO2,
here's another warmer, Carbon dioxide is the primary driver of greenhouse warming
here's the warmers at NASA and NOAA,
The planet’s average surface temperature has risen about 2.0 degrees Fahrenheit (1.1 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century, a change driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere.
There was outrage when Scott Pruitt, President Trump's pick to head the EPA, said that this was untrue, EPA chief Scott Pruitt says carbon dioxide is not a primary contributor to global warming
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt said Thursday he does not believe carbon dioxide is a primary contributor to global warming.
"I think that measuring with precision human activity on the climate is something very challenging to do and there's tremendous disagreement about the degree of impact, so no, I would not agree that it's a primary contributor to the global warming that we see," he told CNBC's "Squawk Box."
"But we don't know that yet. ... We need to continue the debate and continue the review and the analysis."
warmer-in-chief algore was outraged by this, and called it fake news,
algore says EPA head Pruitt’s carbon dioxide claims are ‘obviously false’
Former Vice President Al Gore slammed new EPA chief Scott Pruitt on Monday for his claim last week that carbon emissions aren’t the primary cause of global warming.
“It’s an obviously false assertion,” Gore told PBS NewsHour’s Judy Woodruff, adding that Pruitt’s claim was a “perfect example” of the debate over fake news and facts that erupted after Donald Trump’s election last November.
This is what professor lindzen said, in the article I linked earlier,
I haven’t spent much time on the details of the science, but there is one thing that should spark skepticism in any intelligent reader. The system we are looking at consists in two turbulent fluids interacting with each other. They are on a rotating planet that is differentially heated by the sun. A vital constituent of the atmospheric component is water in the liquid, solid and vapor phases, and the changes in phase have vast energetic ramifications. The energy budget of this system involves the absorption and reemission of about 200 watts per square meter. Doubling CO2 involves a 2% perturbation to this budget. So do minor changes in clouds and other features, and such changes are common. In this complex multifactor system, what is the likelihood of the climate (which, itself, consists in many variables and not just globally averaged temperature anomaly) is controlled by this 2% perturbation in a single variable? Believing this is pretty close to believing in magic. Instead, you are told that it is believing in ‘science.’ Such a claim should be a tip-off that something is amiss. After all, science is a mode of inquiry rather than a belief structure.

AH_

June 4th, 2017, 9:21 am

No, its not, and you know that. This is the tactic I was taking about. Choosing arguments nobody is making / the extremists are making and trying to negate the entire premise using that. 

An example you would probably agree with - using the Jim Inhofe's stupidity to try to silence genuine concerns about climate change fanaticism.

Its irritating when people do this. I generally stop arguing after this because its impossible to have an intelligent discussion with such people.

AH_

June 4th, 2017, 9:31 am

"Only CO2" doesn't control the climate. It is one among many factors. It is given more importance because human activity contributes more to this particular factor than others. 
Nobody agrees that Paris accord is pointless. 
you've backed off on your earlier statement that "Nobody believes that CO2 controls the climate," which would of course mean that there's no point in limiting CO2 production
In any group of people who are in agreement over a subject, you would find various degrees of adherence to it. I could say nobody believes that the earth is flat and you could point out that there are in fact people who do believe that, but its irrelevant.
I could make stupid arguments about grammatical difference between  "CO2 controls climate"  vs "CO2 contributes to the climate" like you are trying to make here, but its useless.

ppauper

June 4th, 2017, 9:46 am

No, its not, and you know that. This is the tactic I was taking about. Choosing arguments nobody is making / the extremists are making and trying to negate the entire premise using that. [/size]

An example you would probably agree with - using the Jim Inhofe's stupidity to try to silence genuine concerns about climate change fanaticism.

Its irritating when people do this. I generally stop arguing after this because its impossible to have an intelligent discussion with such people.
lol, "Choosing arguments nobody is making / the extremists are making and trying to negate the entire premise using that." The people I quoted were  algore (your leader, the warmer-in-chief) and the warmers at noaa/nasa. So you're saying that algore (your leader, the warmer-in-chief) and the warmers at noaa/nasa are extremists. Unfortunately, the majority of warmers agree with them

AH_

June 4th, 2017, 10:57 am

He isn't my leader. I am not a 'warmer'. 
Read some scientific articles, not political memes to know about pollution levels. 

outrun

June 5th, 2017, 6:22 pm

@RealPressSecBot helps put things in the correct perspective:

ppauper

June 7th, 2017, 7:51 am

more on trump's solar wall

the sooner we get this big beautiful wall built and generating clean green solar power, the better!
think of all the carbon emissions this wall will prevent!

outrun

June 7th, 2017, 3:05 pm

Christopher Wray is known primarily for managing to keep Chris Christie out of prison after the BridgeGate scandal in New Jersey.

Sounds like just the sort of expertise Trump is going to need, a great FBI director candidate!

ppauper

June 7th, 2017, 3:46 pm

no, he's primarily known for being a member of the bush II justice department, where he rose through the ranks to become Deputy Attorney General, and for his role in the enron investigation
wiki
Wray joined the government in 1997 as an assistant U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia. In 2001 he moved to the Justice Department as associate deputy attorney general and principal associate deputy attorney general.
In 2003, President George W. Bush nominated Wray as assistant attorney general in charge of the Criminal Division of the Justice Department. Wray was unanimously confirmed by the Senate. Wray was assistant attorney general from 2003 to 2005, working under James Comey and eventually becoming Deputy Attorney General. While heading the Criminal Division, Wray oversaw prominent fraud investigations like Enron.
In 2005, Wray received the Edmund J. Randolph Award, the Justice Department's highest award for public service and leadership.
on the downside, he's a yalie

outrun

June 7th, 2017, 7:39 pm

Alan

June 7th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Haha!

Here's what it will look like in Washington during the Comey testimony since everybody will be watching:

outrun

June 7th, 2017, 8:47 pm

I expect Trump to reply is that "he's misunderstood".

ppauper

June 8th, 2017, 5:57 am

Looks Like CNN's Anonymous Sources Got This One Wrong

Comey's testimony confirms that he told trump (at least) 3 times that Trump was not under investigation