Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

frolloos
Topic Author

Spewers of bullshit

July 6th, 2018, 12:30 pm

T4A, you are a great example that some animals are very bad at learning anything, including proper manners.
I was going through this thread as I know nothing about deep networks (only superficial ones) and you appear to be quite/very knowledgeable on this.
I agree on both counts. Friendly advice; write up or shut up. Fight on OT, not here.

Kata's comments on the quality (or lack of) of posts are well-founded and reflect my own opinion And it's on record.

There has been a yuge amount of waffle lately. I feel it reached a peak in the last few weeks. It is maddening.

Maybe you could delete your posts. If you look you can see I'm in a useful conversation with ISM and I now have to wade through this muck you have posted.
Are you, the three of you, as superior and self-righteous and self-confident in real-life as you are here? Friendly word of advice: don't be.

No need to reply as I'm not going to read it anymore - I'll please the three of you and join the other "spewers of bullshit", as you put it, in leaving permanently

Gamal

Re: Spewers of bullshit

July 6th, 2018, 12:40 pm

+1

Cuchulainn

July 6th, 2018, 2:09 pm

as you put it, in leaving permanently

No one said that. It's all in your mind.

Paul

July 6th, 2018, 4:17 pm

These things seem to come in waves. It’s probably quite easy to model as a variant of a predator-prey dynamic.

Cuchulainn

July 6th, 2018, 4:49 pm

I could probably set up a Lotka-Volterra ODE model and solve with RK4.

Probably lots of fixed and stationary points.

(More generally, a problem (caused by a misplaced sense of egaliterianism) is that you are not allowed to attack people's ideas because they take it personally. Tyranny of the majority)  

Paul

July 6th, 2018, 5:27 pm

I think we need to classify the quant-forum equivalent of predator and prey. And then model how one “feeds off” the other and the effect on their populations.

ISayMoo

July 6th, 2018, 6:34 pm

I'm not a predator, I'm a bottom feeding creature lurking in the mud.

Cuchulainn

July 6th, 2018, 10:22 pm

I'm not a predator, I'm a bottom feeding creature lurking in the mud.
Like this? Some threads survive, some don't.

katastrofa

July 6th, 2018, 10:27 pm

I have advice for you too, frolloos: if you want me to be nice, don't call me names, don't make fun of my personal appearance (unless I get fat), don't tell me whether I should wear burqa in public places, and most of all don't turn on my husband.

amike

July 6th, 2018, 11:32 pm

(More generally, a problem (caused by a misplaced sense of egaliterianism) is that you are not allowed to attack people's ideas because they take it personally. Tyranny of the majority) 
Please attack responsibly.
The word 'attack' aligns this with the personality conflicts that seem to dominate these forums at times.  Maybe 'challenge', 'question'...  `have a well reasoned dialogue about the foundations of'...
From what I have seen, there are very few people who understand such `ideas' well enough to even challenge them (often because it takes a material amount of time to get there), and of those there there are very few who are creative enough to actually have any real ideas themselves.  That tends to lead to a lot more questioners than creators...  So I can understand why creators are at times exasperated by the endless oversight.  (ok... that maybe just reflects my experience with the current regulatory environment where there seem to be 5 levels of oversight for every one model developer.)

katastrofa

July 7th, 2018, 12:01 am

This reminded me of the four hour torture by Philip Glass entitled Satyagraha.

Cuchulainn

July 7th, 2018, 11:38 am

This reminded me of the four hour torture by Philip Glass entitled Satyagraha.
Nothing compared to a 5 1/2 stint off Broadway by the New York James Joyce amateur dramatic society, Never again.

Cuchulainn

July 7th, 2018, 11:46 am

Please attack responsibly.
The word 'attack' aligns this with the personality conflicts that seem to dominate these forums at times.  Maybe 'challenge', 'question'...  `have a well reasoned dialogue about the foundations of'...
From what I have seen, there are very few people who understand such `ideas' well enough to even challenge them (often because it takes a material amount of time to get there), and of those there there are very few who are creative enough to actually have any real ideas themselves.  That tends to lead to a lot more questioners than creators...  So I can understand why creators are at times exasperated by the endless oversight.  (ok... that maybe just reflects my experience with the current regulatory environment where there seem to be 5 levels of oversight for every one model developer.)
Most threads try to converge to a solution before OP has formulated (oe even allowed to formulate) the problem. It's cultural, uncertainty avoidance index (UAI).
A major issue is distinguishing between posts whose goal is to discover requirements and those where the requirements are known and for which a solution is needed.

Example: we have a software system. Requirement is '5% efficiency improvement'. How to approach this problem.

ISayMoo

July 7th, 2018, 1:37 pm

And then there are those posts whose goal is demonstrate the coolness and smartness of the OP.

Cuchulainn

July 7th, 2018, 4:40 pm

And the band plays Waltzing Matilda
And the old men still answer to the call
But year after year their numbers get fewer
Some day no one will march there at all