Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Solar Panels. how many do I need?

December 4th, 2020, 11:34 am

What data is needed in order to determine the number of panels for a given ROI? 

More generally,
The bottom line is the number of panels 'needed' but what are the input criteria?
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Collector

Re: Solar Panels. how many do I need?

December 4th, 2020, 1:27 pm

More generally,
The bottom line is the number of panels 'needed' but what are the input criteria?
I am exporter of solar electricity in summer! build a barn and cover the roof in panels! how many barns u will need I cannot say! I would say one enough to supply your son's rock band with power!

wet sticky snow just came (zero production), can u visit and clean of the snow, then u get some solar panel practical experience u too! On a sunny day u even get free D when cleaning the panels!

trackstar

December 4th, 2020, 4:48 pm

More generally,
Will turn it into a Brainteaser and link back to this thread.

(My new hobby!)
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

Collector

December 4th, 2020, 6:41 pm

the price for the electricity itself is now super low here, the main savings from panels is not have to pay for the grid for local produced...  the grid rent is now about 690% of the electricity spot, if not more... 

savings are pay nothing for grid for every kWh produced and used, and no sales tax on every kWh produced and used. 90% of electricity bill is now to pay for what we already once paid for in tax (build the grid), that now is privatized. Make people addicted to a product (the grid), then squeeze them...

when big batteries get bigger and cheaper I hope to get totally off grid....if surplus just have a big rock concert!  

Independence is the best ROI !

trackstar

December 4th, 2020, 7:28 pm

can also design a photovoltaic sculpture garden - increase the creative energy around you!

(and charge admission for an additional gain?)

and especially this - from historic huts to the 21st century!

Those grassy tiles are real solar panels, but designed to fit in with the traditional roof style. 
"Solar Skin" by a company called Sistine Solar.
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 4th, 2020, 8:55 pm

Is that a Norwegian blue?
I like #3, but you know it's NL .. need permission ,,, and only conformist nonconformism is tolerated.
When we got our house built we wanted the roof slates like your #1 but the style mafia objected. 

Data scientists like #2?

(and charge admission for an additional gain?)
charge the people a dollar and a half just to see them?
David Wheeler

katastrofa

December 4th, 2020, 9:27 pm

Most provider's have online calculators. Or why not calling them and they will come to advise you?
Yup, electricity is super cheap here - half the London price (from a competitive provider, not some EDF thieves). Needless to say I overcalculated Leela's stove usage and have enough wood for a couple of years... Everything for my cat.
Last edited by katastrofa on December 4th, 2020, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 4th, 2020, 9:35 pm

I have received an initial tender ... they suggest 15 panels 1m X 1.6 m based on our current energy use, They use graphs to blind me with science. Their objective (no pun intended) is 1d; mine is multicriteria.
It's a baseline.

Residential customers are increasingly turning to solar energy as they are becoming more climate-conscious and solar energy is becoming more cost-effective. However, customers are often faced with myriad choices from retailers.

At first glance, your stove looks inefficient (80s technoiogy?), reminds of the ski huts in Skeikampen. Does it retain heat well?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on December 4th, 2020, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Wheeler

Collector

December 4th, 2020, 9:44 pm

bullet proof solar panels off course!

"steady source of power, the team is exploring solar panels that can be shot by a bullet and still remain operational – but be honest: If a salesperson took you out to the range as part of the process, and shot their solar panel – would you stop worrying about hail? I might."

u never know, strange years ahead...climate volatility and all that...

Collector

December 4th, 2020, 9:53 pm

power price 6 øre per KwH
grid price 28.6 øre per KwH  
Taxes 29.9 øre per KwH

Tax only about 500% (of spot)

pay the shirt even if the power price should go negative....  Go off grid! 

electric cars cars, solar panels all DC ? the future is DC they tell...until then good converter, make sure hardened against solar storms, or dress it in faraday box

trackstar

December 5th, 2020, 12:00 am

not only solar storms;  around here have to think about Nor'Easters and one is on its way right now.

Expecting to get heavy rain to south and heavy wet snow here, with winds up around 50 mph.

Not the worst I've ever seen, but enough to rip the solar panels right off your roof!

I'm ready though - flashlights, lanterns, and plenty of long-burning candles. 

Add a big vegetable stew prepared tonight and awaiting the first big storm is actually kind of fun.

Bring it on!

katastrofa

December 5th, 2020, 12:31 am

Another reason to discard AC, sorry Angus.

80s?? The stove is Antique.

trackstar

December 5th, 2020, 2:53 am

Some current information about solar panel efficiency:

Clean Energy Reviews - September 2020

"Due to the many recent advances in solar cell technology over the last 5 years, average panel conversion efficiency has increased from 15% to 20%. This large jump in efficiency resulted in the power output of a standard size panel to increase from 250W up to 340W.

As explained below, panel efficiency is determined by two main factors; the photovoltaic (PV) cell efficiency, based on the cell design and silicon type, and the total panel efficiency, based on the cell layout, configuration and panel size."

So another factor to consider - who makes the panels you are looking at and when were they made?  If you are getting old inventory, think of it this way: would you buy a 7-10 year old MacBook? Maybe not!

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 5th, 2020, 9:41 am

nice! I'l check against the tender(s).
My neighbour got solar panels > 10 years ago ... probably old junk at this stage...
David Wheeler

katastrofa

December 5th, 2020, 9:14 pm

For what it's worth, I tapped a few magic AI incantations in the Python console and obtained the next week hourly strømprisvarsel for Oslo (unfortunately I found data since the beginning of 2020)