SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

MikeM
Topic Author

Jesus Struck by Lightning .... Twice

October 24th, 2003, 4:09 pm

OK, what exactly are the odds of being hit by lightning twice? ... in the course of filiming one movie??? ...Does god hate Mel Gibson???This story almost seems too unbelievable to be true, but this is the BBC. ...I mean, they would certainly bend the truth for a political cause, but an outright lie in an entertainment piece. ...It's not Apirl 1st in England, is it (these time changes always confuse me).Sounds like a good interview question, "What are the odds of getting hit by lightning?". ...What do you need? The number of people in the world, size of planet, how often it rains, ....

chiral3

October 24th, 2003, 4:21 pm

I believe that they got some ground current, but I think this is typical hubris and excessive talk (like putting expert on you resume). Having seen the effects of lightning on a human first hand, I strongly suspect that there were no direct hits involved.
Last edited by chiral3 on October 23rd, 2003, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamilton

October 24th, 2003, 4:48 pm

If you would like to do something productive with this,then do a google on:Rene Girard + I Saw Satan Fall Like Lightning.Better yet read the NT passage and then buy the book.Anima Christi.

mikebell

October 24th, 2003, 11:15 pm

lol... god, obviously, does not approve of casting! Jesus is being played by some sinner or something... lmao

Aaron

October 25th, 2003, 11:41 am

The chance of being killed by lightning in a year is about 1 in 2 million. The chance of being injured seriously enough to get into hospital records (which obviously depends on where you are as much as severity of injury) is about 1 in 700,000. However, multiple strikes are far more common than you would guess if you treated strikes as independent. Almost all strikes occur when people are outside in a thunderstorm (duh!) and certain people (those who live in thunderstorm-prone areas, fanatic golfers, kids with treehouses) are far more likely than others to be in that situation (a few strikes occur as much as ten miles away from the strorm, when the sky is clear, and a few people get killed inside buildings, but those things are pretty rare). The world record for being hit is 7, which would be fantastically improbable if hits were independent. The guy unfavored by God was a forest ranger who (I'm not making this up) committed suicide. I guess he figured if God was too incompetent to hit him even once, he might as well do it himself.Of people whose lightning strikes are reported to vital statistics agencies, 30% die and 50% have permanent injuries, only 20% recover fully. But there are many people who are, shall we say, touched by lightning who don't seek medical help. One rough estimate is that 1 person in 50,000 has some significant current from lightning flow through his or her body in a year, and 1 in 500 is near enough to a lightning strike to feel some physical effect such as hair standing on end or buzzing metal fillings. I sanity checked those numbers using National Geographic's estimate of 100 worldwide lightning strikes every second, assuming a meter square area per person in the first case, and 10 meter square area for the second. A lot of these people will say they were "hit by lightning". It's pretty dramatic to be outside in a storm, feel your hair stand up, then see a tree a few meters away get knocked down and lie smoking on the ground. I'd tell people about it for years if it happened to me.The actors' experiences seem to be in the 1 in 50,000 category. Even if we treated the events as independent, they would not be remarkable. We would expect this to happen a couple times a year. Overall, I'd rate this about a 1 in 10 million event, that is I think a few hundred people in the world every year can reasonably claim to have been hit by lightning twice.
Last edited by Aaron on October 24th, 2003, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omar

October 25th, 2003, 12:00 pm

Quote The guy unfavored by God was a forest ranger who (I'm not making this up) committed suicide. He probably thought he was immortal. That reminds of the German young woman who was in the middle of the night club in Bali that was bombed by extremists about a year ago. 100's of people died or were maimed, and she was one of the very few who escaped completely unscathed. She left Bali and came to Australia, and went swimming in crocodile infested waters in the middle of the night. There were big signs everywhere that read "Danger. Do NOT swim here. Crocodiles" (or something like that), but she still went in.

chiral3

October 25th, 2003, 12:12 pm

QuoteThe chance of being killed by lightning in a year is about 1 in 2 million. The chance of being injured seriously enough to get into hospital records (which obviously depends on where you are as much as severity of injury) is about 1 in 700,000. Aaron,There is one misleading thing about this statistic: it is taking into account your odds as compared to the population I think. The odds are certainly much better if you are a backpacker or a climber. THere are many stories of climbers recounting tales of their gear (carabiners, cams, nuts, etc.) beginning to rattle and forming an ominous blue glow around them (St Elmo's Fire). Backpackers are often touched, maybe not by direct hits, but by ground to air strikes that were in the vicinity. I didn't realize this until I had my own experience and began to read about the statistics. I think your numbers take into account the recluse on the upper east side that has a 1 in 50 billion chance and the avid backpacker in the Tetons that has a 1 in 10000.
Last edited by chiral3 on October 24th, 2003, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JabairuStork

October 25th, 2003, 1:12 pm

I used to go the basement of building where I once lived, unscrew the fuse to my apartment, and grab the metal socket. The current would sometimes throw me across the hall (only about 6 feet). It did hurt, but not completely in a bad way. Does that count?

LongTheta

October 25th, 2003, 1:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: JabairuStorkI used to go the basement of building where I once lived, unscrew the fuse to my apartment, and grab the metal socket. The current would sometimes throw me across the hall (only about 6 feet). It did hurt, but not completely in a bad way. Does that count?It counts, in so far as it tells us something about you.

reza

October 25th, 2003, 2:17 pm

Aaron

October 25th, 2003, 11:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: JabairuStorkI used to go the basement of building where I once lived, unscrew the fuse to my apartment, and grab the metal socket. The current would sometimes throw me across the hall (only about 6 feet). It did hurt, but not completely in a bad way. Does that count?I had a similar experience, but accidental. I was working on some electrical equipment, I thought the power was off. The amazing thing was that it did not hurt, and I found myself 12 feet away with no recollection of moving. I know it happened fast because the screwdriver I had been holding was halfway in between me and the equipment, hanging in the air. If you offered me a billion dollars, I couldn't run 12 feet in the time it takes a screwdriver to fall to the ground from four feet (half a second).I have felt tickling from electricity, smelled ozone and seen blue light while hiking, but never been near a lightning strike.Medically, lightning strikes are distinct from shocks from human-made direct or alternating current. A human-made shock usually kills by stopping your heart; it either restarts or it doesn't; so you die immediately or recover without serious permanent effect. You may have burns, but these are seldom fatal. Many lightning deaths occur hours after the strike. Lightning can cause all kinds of weird damage, including the well-known tree-branching pattern.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On