SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

HeatOilTrader
Topic Author

Housing in Boston

March 3rd, 2004, 12:06 am

Just received an excellent offer in Boston. Where does one begin the search for an apartment? Can a decent place be found without a broker? Websites? Neighborhood recommendations? Is a car needed or is the public transportation sufficient? Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

exotiq

Housing in Boston

March 3rd, 2004, 12:55 am

First of all..Congratulations!I wouldn't own a car in Boston unless you plan to live in the suburbs, or genuinely enjoy the pain of their spaghetti streets and 6-way intersections. In my experience, the T is the second best public transit system in the US (it closes too early and last time I was there, North Station and South Station weren't connected). If your offer is excellent and you want one of those nice places on Beacon Street or Berkeley Street, get your name in those brokers' rolodexes and expect a call back within the next 10 years or so...

HeatOilTrader
Topic Author

Housing in Boston

March 3rd, 2004, 3:52 pm

Thanks. I'm looking to be in the city, no interest in suburbia at this point in my life. Any insight regarding the "sexy" neighborhoods where young "professionals" tend to live?

mikebell

Housing in Boston

March 3rd, 2004, 5:28 pm

Go here.http://boston.craigslist.org/Good luck!As for the area, pick something close to your work. Since I have no idea of the general area where you'll work, I can't give you more info. Car is a must.

James

Housing in Boston

March 4th, 2004, 12:57 pm

No car in Boston.Try St. Botolph Street. Quiet, yet only a 10 minute walk to the action. Still, that turns into a 25 minute walk in the snow.

HeatOilTrader
Topic Author

Housing in Boston

March 12th, 2004, 1:19 am

Thanks for the heads up on craigslist, I've used it before but didn't realize they provided a forum for apartments in Boston. Any opinions on the following neighborhoods: Beacon Hill, Back Bay, North End, Fenway?

James

Housing in Boston

March 12th, 2004, 7:26 am

Beacon Hill is expensive, and unless your name is Lowell or Cabot or Hornblower, it is going to be cramped. Parking is a nightmare. Still, it is charming. I lived there for a year, one of the happiest times of my life. Tiny place, but fun neighborhood.Back Bay gets cheaper the more you head towards BU and Brighton away from the Boston Public Garden. Lots of MIT frat houses (nice ones) next to brownstone apartment buildings.North End is the oldest neighborhood, but it was abandoned by early settlers and immigrants moved in, so it now has an italian overlay. Fun, can be a bit noisy, close to downtown. Again, a bit cramped for space.Fenway is pleasant in the spring and summer, probably the cheapest neighborhood you've mentioned for the most space. In the winter and fall, the 'fens' get kind of sludgy, swampy, and depressing. Apartments near the community graden, though, are very nice. The closer you get to Northwestern U and the Museum of Fine Arts, the cheaper rents get. Parking is better.Ask me about restaurants once you've settled in. Always schedule a vacation somewhere sunny for February.

HeatOilTrader
Topic Author

Housing in Boston

March 15th, 2004, 11:08 pm

James,Thanks again for the informative and thoughtful response. Will inquire about restaurants once I have found a place.

HeatOilTrader
Topic Author

Housing in Boston

April 23rd, 2004, 5:30 am

Finally decided on an apt in Fenway, IMO the best choice as far as location and square footage, for the money. My apt in NY was significant larger (and cheaper) than most of the ones I checked out in Beacon Hill and North End.I've been told that one doesn't need AC to survive the Boston summer, true or false?Now for the more important subject: bar and restaurant recommendations...
Last edited by HeatOilTrader on April 9th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DIMA

Housing in Boston

April 26th, 2004, 4:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HeatOilTraderI've been told that one doesn't need AC to survive the Boston summer, true or false?I think FALSE.

DrEvil

Housing in Boston

April 26th, 2004, 7:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HeatOilTraderNow for the more important subject: bar and restaurant recommendations...John Harvard's on Harvard Square has some nice brews and an amusing crowd.
Last edited by DrEvil on April 25th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James

Housing in Boston

April 27th, 2004, 11:43 am

Bars:Two words: college town.College Town = Target Rich EnvironmentYour "Alpha" : Money.You go boy.Restos: Best Cheese Steak: T. Anthony'sBest Cambodian: Elephant WalkBest Pizza: The original Pizzaria Uno in the North End.Best Chowder: toss up, "No Name" "Durgin Park" or "Twenty-One Federal" and "Legal Seafood"Best Thai: changes weekly.Best Ice Cream: discussion of endless loop in Boston.Olives is great.St. Botolph's is fun, quiet elegant.Turner Fisheries is fabulous, but say goodby to your wallet.

lodette

Housing in Boston

April 27th, 2004, 1:50 pm

QuoteI've been told that one doesn't need AC to survive the Boston summer, true or false?It is possible to survive, but the Fens will seem like a swamp, so either get a pith helmet and shorts or an air conditioner. Some people make due with fans.BTW, if you are so inclined, buy the air conditioner now. They get impossible to find by July.

James

Housing in Boston

April 27th, 2004, 4:20 pm

I think Boston in August, after living through five of them, is unbearable. Why do you think folks run away to the Cape/MV/Nantucket?Fans are okay for hard-core calvinist yankees, but this catholic southern boy, who lived through 20 summers of Mississisppi August, recs air conditioning to any and all who will listen.

HeatOilTrader
Topic Author

Housing in Boston

April 28th, 2004, 3:45 am

And I'm sure that I'll have no problem finding a few young women who're "Searching for Alpha"...Thanks for the bar and restaurant recs, as well as the AC rec, will be making a trip to Home Depot/Walmart this weekend. As a Texas transplant I've always had AC and have no interest in beginning a new trend, just wanted to obtain a local opinion...
Last edited by HeatOilTrader on April 27th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On