SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Dancer
Topic Author

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 8:56 am

As a feminine feminist and appreciator of pop-culture - a paradox I know, the finale of my beloved show led to much rumination on my part. Beyond the joys of a slick apartment, primo style, cosmopolitans and oodles of manolos, how do women really fare in the male dominated financial markets??? This is perhaps rehashing old cliched thoughts on women in the work place but I would really like the HONEST opinion of some of the (alpha??) males in this forum. Take the trading floor as an example. how do you explain the lack of women (given research showing higher levels of women and higher results coming out of education)? Would you take a very glamourous stylish woman more seriously in terms of doing business.....or perhaps less. Or perhaps I underestimate males and appearance is utterly irrelevant?? Enlighten me please.

Nonius

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 11:09 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DancerAs a feminine feminist and appreciator of pop-culture - a paradox I know, the finale of my beloved show led to much rumination on my part. Beyond the joys of a slick apartment, primo style, cosmopolitans and oodles of manolos, how do women really fare in the male dominated financial markets??? This is perhaps rehashing old cliched thoughts on women in the work place but I would really like the HONEST opinion of some of the (alpha??) males in this forum. Take the trading floor as an example. how do you explain the lack of women (given research showing higher levels of women and higher results coming out of education)? Would you take a very glamourous stylish woman more seriously in terms of doing business.....or perhaps less. Or perhaps I underestimate males and appearance is utterly irrelevant?? Enlighten me please.I am trying to translate your enquiries into Noniusese, but, let me say this:1. It is true that there are not a lot of women on trading floors.2. This is true for a number of different industries/professions, so I don't know if there is a "less than average" percentage of women on the trading floor vis a vis other professions.3. There are spectacular success stories of women working in finance. I guess, unfortunately for women, the ones who appear in the press tend to be of the infamous variety. Martha Stewart was a broker. There was a recent scandal at WestLB involving a highflying chick with blond hair, blue eyes, and who looked liked she stepped out of a Kappa Kappa Gamma function at Stanford.4. You will hate this, but, the closer proximity you get to a trading floor, the better looking and more glamourous the women become. The closer you get to a sexy, high profile desk, the better looking the women become. Money attracts women. Sexy, risk taking activities attract women. Traders/salespeople/IB types who have cashish to burn, often are a little more discriminating when it comes to hiring women. Of course, at the top desks at the top firms, they have to be well-educated, polished, and hungry. Even better if they are willing to fuk a manager. This is just the way it is...

Nonius

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 11:13 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: NoniusQuoteOriginally posted by: DancerAs a feminine feminist and appreciator of pop-culture - a paradox I know, the finale of my beloved show led to much rumination on my part. Beyond the joys of a slick apartment, primo style, cosmopolitans and oodles of manolos, how do women really fare in the male dominated financial markets??? This is perhaps rehashing old cliched thoughts on women in the work place but I would really like the HONEST opinion of some of the (alpha??) males in this forum. Take the trading floor as an example. how do you explain the lack of women (given research showing higher levels of women and higher results coming out of education)? Would you take a very glamourous stylish woman more seriously in terms of doing business.....or perhaps less. Or perhaps I underestimate males and appearance is utterly irrelevant?? Enlighten me please.I am trying to translate your enquiries into Noniusese, but, let me say this:1. It is true that there are not a lot of women on trading floors.2. This is true for a number of different industries/professions, so I don't know if there is a "less than average" percentage of women on the trading floor vis a vis other professions.3. There are spectacular success stories of women working in finance. I guess, unfortunately for women, the ones who appear in the press tend to be of the infamous variety. Martha Stewart was a broker. There was a recent scandal at WestLB involving a highflying chick with blond hair, blue eyes, and who looked liked she stepped out of a Kappa Kappa Gamma function at Stanford.4. You will hate this, but, the closer proximity you get to a trading floor, the better looking and more glamourous the women become. The closer you get to a sexy, high profile desk, the better looking the women become. Money attracts women. Sexy, risk taking activities attract women. Traders/salespeople/IB types who have cashish to burn, often are a little more discriminating when it comes to hiring women. Of course, at the top desks at the top firms, they have to be well-educated, polished, and hungry. Even better if they are willing to fuk a manager. This is just the way it is...oh, and by the way, there is a tendency to hire good looking people in general on the floor. Looks matter. Just the way it is.

Crassus

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 11:19 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Dancer This is perhaps rehashing old cliched thoughts on women in the work place but I would really like the HONEST opinion of some of the (alpha??) males in this forum. Take the trading floor as an example. how do you explain the lack of women (given research showing higher levels of women and higher results coming out of education)? Ae you sure? Maybe they are all doing arts degrees and media studies etc. I know that traders etc like to hire fit assistants .

Nonius

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 11:35 am

but you see, you don't have to worry, just watch re-runs of all those NY based sit-coms that show average people moving into 2000 square foot apartments, dating models and traders, and generally having a great time in, like, oh-my-God!, Manhattan. Also, if these shows serve me well in the veracity department, I guess I really don't even have to work there. Why, I could be Sarah Jessica Parker and date a totally gorgeous jet set dude! Or, I could be George Castanza and actually get me some o that sheah. Or, I could be any one of the bland characters on Friends and, like, totally have a bunch of cool platonic friends and someday fuk one of them and sheah....and, work..NOT!!! LOL!

LongTheta

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 12:01 pm

How come there are no women pilots on commercial airlines? Who has seen any?

Nonius

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 12:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: LongThetaHow come there are no women pilots on commercial airlines? Who has seen any?they exist. I flew Paris to Marseilles on a plane piloted by a woman. Same for a flight from LGA to Dallas. Same flying on CrossAir from City to Zurich. Do you think female pilots fantasize about male flight attendants?

LondonPete

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 12:06 pm

I once had a female CAPTAIN on a UK Charter flight to Spain....Air 2000 I think.

LongTheta

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 12:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: NoniusQuoteOriginally posted by: LongThetaHow come there are no women pilots on commercial airlines? Who has seen any?they exist. I flew Paris to Marseilles on a plane piloted by a woman. Same for a flight from LGA to Dallas. Same flying on CrossAir from City to Zurich. Do you think female pilots fantasize about male flight attendants?How would you compare the ratio of women to men pilots to that of women to men floor traders? PS I saw quite a few women traders in the pits on simex (Singapore). They were louder and at least as aggressive as the men.

LondonPete

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 12:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: LongThetaQuoteOriginally posted by: NoniusQuoteOriginally posted by: LongThetaHow come there are no women pilots on commercial airlines? Who has seen any?they exist. I flew Paris to Marseilles on a plane piloted by a woman. Same for a flight from LGA to Dallas. Same flying on CrossAir from City to Zurich. Do you think female pilots fantasize about male flight attendants?How would you compare the ratio of women to men pilots to that of women to men floor traders? PS I saw quite a few women traders in the pits on simex (Singapore). They were louder and at least as aggressive as the men.Hehe SIMEX, they should be ashamed of themselves, and not for the reason of having women on the floor.

Dancer
Topic Author

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 12:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: LongThetaQuoteOriginally posted by: NoniusQuoteOriginally posted by: LongThetaHow come there are no women pilots on commercial airlines? Who has seen any?Male pilots flying general aviation (private) aircraft in the United States are more likely to crash due to inattention or flawed decision making, while female pilots are more likely to crash from mishandling the aircraft, according to a study by researchers at the Bloomberg School of Public Health. Q]Who do you want flying your plane? Mr Stupid or Ms incompetent??

Dancer
Topic Author

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 12:20 pm

From the same study:"Crashes of general aviation aircraft account for 85 percent of all aviation deaths in the United States. The crash rate for male pilots, like motor vehicle crashes, exceeds that of crashes of female pilots,"

LondonPete

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 12:22 pm

Mr Stupid, because he can't help it.

abumazen

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 12:29 pm

Last edited by abumazen on March 18th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nonius

Sexism in the city

March 19th, 2004, 12:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DancerFrom the same study:"Crashes of general aviation aircraft account for 85 percent of all aviation deaths in the United States. The crash rate for male pilots, like motor vehicle crashes, exceeds that of crashes of female pilots,"The low crash rate of aircraft suggests that it would be difficult to arrive at a conclusion from the data.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On