SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

NorthernJohn

Sexism in the city

March 20th, 2004, 2:25 am

Deleted.
Last edited by NorthernJohn on March 19th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LongTheta

Sexism in the city

March 20th, 2004, 12:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TaherBut then again, that's why there's money to be made in so-called efficient markets! People make up their minds on labels that are bullshit! Lemme hear anyone of you say that you are smarter than Nicole El Karoui or Helyette Geman, and I will gladly rent a chopper to fly over you so that I can shit on your face! Piloted by a woman of course, apparently they are cheaper thanks to the morons of the world!What happened to you?

JabairuStork

Sexism in the city

March 20th, 2004, 2:10 pm

QuoteI would venture to guess that this observation has genetical explanation. Males have different chromosome types in every pair, females the same type. Males therefore mutate faster and represent an experimental half of human species. In females the advantageous features are getting stabilyzed for future use. Therefore any of the features are getting slower into the females and rarely in extreme form.Zerdna, in sexual reproduction, each parent will contribute one copy of each chromosome, either of which may end up in the dna of the offspring. This is true whether the offspring is male or female. The only difference between genders, from a purely genetic point of view, is that one one out of 23 chromosomes a female will always have an xx pair while a male will always have an xy pair. The y chromosome contains far less genetic information than the x chromosome.All I'm trying to say is, let's not make up explanations to support the premise. I think the phenomena you are describing may be true, but I would guess that if it is true then it is probably a result of culture more than of genetics.

zerdna

Sexism in the city

March 20th, 2004, 4:56 pm

JS, i don't know enough about genetics to argue with you. I read somewhere that because of different chromosomes in pairs, traits achieve dominance easier in males and males mutate faster. Maybe the theory is wrong or my rendition of it is, which is much more likely since i read it many years ago, but the fact of faster and easier mutation was empirically proven. It makes sense to me from evolutionary prospective. Nature experiments on males and fortifies traits favorable for the species in females. As a result there more male geniuses as well as more male pshycos and killers, and higher percentage of males die from various illnesses and they live shorter lives. Taher, i am not familiar with the work of the ladies in question and there is no point in comparing them with people in the forum, who mostly are anonimous avatars. To prove you point you should compare them to Merton, Black, Granger, Samuelson, etc. The ball on this is in your court.Regarding your claim that in the next ten years everything will change and women will achieve finally dominance in sciences, math. engineering, trading, etc. Would you mind explaining what radically changed now that wasn't true ten years ago? Because so far i don't see anything new. Maybe you are not a subscriber to what Aaron called Personal Insignificance Principle and believe that the world is different since you are in it now. Maybe you are right, but i haven't seen any convincing argument on that so far.

Energetic

Sexism in the city

March 22nd, 2004, 1:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TaherThis conversation is just a historical artefact, because at the PhD level in mathematical finance nowadays, half of the top students are women. Let's talk about this in ten years! Are you saying thar 50% of the top 50% of math finance classes are women? Well, that very well may be. What does it have to do with the subject, though? I assume you've read the previous discussions. That must have enough to at least understand what we're talking about. And, of course, Zerdna is right: 10 (and 15) years ago women had equal access to PhD programs in all hard sciences. The top is still dominated by males.QuoteLemme hear anyone of you say that you are smarter than Nicole El Karoui or Helyette Geman, and I will gladly rent a chopper to fly over you so that I can shit on your face! Just out of curiousity. Suppose someone would step up to your childish challenge. Do you have the means to verify the claim? Or do you have a hard proof that Nicole El Karoui and Helyette Geman are smarter than any male who ever logged in to wilmott.com, including the founder?

Tripitaka

Sexism in the city

March 22nd, 2004, 2:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaJS, i don't know enough about genetics to argue with you. I read somewhere that because of different chromosomes in pairs, traits achieve dominance easier in males and males mutate faster. these both sound a bit suspicious. it might make sense if 1) a recessive trait linked to the x chromasome is more likely in a male(xy) than a female (xx), and perhaps maybe mutations are more likely on a y chromasome than an x, (after all we males with our y's are all mutants anyway) but that only counts for one chromasome pair, the rest would all be unaffected.i read that 1) the rate of chromasomal mutation in sperm is directly proportional to testicle temperature &2) the lowest rate of spermazoidal mutation in europe is found in the male population of scotland.this appears to lend anecdotal evidence to the hypothesis:h1) all scots go around in kilts.which i have yet to test by direct observation

LondonPete

Sexism in the city

March 22nd, 2004, 2:44 pm

h1) all scots go around in kilts.As an Englishman, I once found it necessary to forcibly observe the validity that Scots go au Naturelle. If you want to know the truth find out for yourself!

zerdna

Sexism in the city

March 22nd, 2004, 2:56 pm

Tripitaka, as i said,don't hold me too hard to this, it's been a while since i read about this, but this could explain a set of statistical discrepancies between human sexes. Experiments were mostly done on drosophila (sp?) flies and some other specie, i think frogs, that is similar to humans in XX, XY sexual determination. I think there was also an opposite observation for some specie where females are heterogametic and males are homogametic.

Tripitaka

Sexism in the city

March 22nd, 2004, 3:15 pm

fair enough.i also was taught that whereas human and most species' chromosomes come in twos (haploid? diploid? displaying my lack of a proper education) the chromasomes of mushrooms are grouped in threes (triploid??) or more, fuelling my suspicion that they 'aint natural.

opmtrader

Sexism in the city

March 22nd, 2004, 4:30 pm

This discussion reminds me of the time I was fortunate enough to have a tour of the CBOE floor by a local friend there. After a number of smoking hot women in short skirts passed us running tickets I asked him what brought all these beautiful young women down to the floor. He said "That's the only dumb question you've asked all day!" As the rap song of yore so wisely put it "Gold digging girls drivin me crazy I can't take it no more!"In all seriousness I could not believe the lengths these women went to to try to snag a wealthy mate. I still don't know whether to be disgusted by their greed or impressed by their ambition.

LondonPete

Sexism in the city

March 22nd, 2004, 4:37 pm

I quite like the maxim of Wall Street, "Greed is Good". Obviously I do not take it literally, but when Gekko draws parallels to the human greed for knowledge and life, can you really debate that as untrue? Without greed, unless we were all altruistic, we would surely be slothful?

Nonius

Sexism in the city

March 22nd, 2004, 4:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TaherHello Everybody!This conversation is just a historical artefact, because at the PhD level in mathematical finance nowadays, half of the top students are women. Let's talk about this in ten years! Because right now, I have to admit I am a bit ashamed of mankind, and very gung-ho about womankind! But then again, that's why there's money to be made in so-called efficient markets! People make up their minds on labels that are bullshit! Lemme hear anyone of you say that you are smarter than Nicole El Karoui or Helyette Geman, and I will gladly rent a chopper to fly over you so that I can shit on your face! Piloted by a woman of course, apparently they are cheaper thanks to the morons of the world!Best regards,Taher.Come on, we all know that men are just naturally smarter than women. Just think of what Jack Nicholson said in "As Good As It Gets", upon being asked how he writes about women so well, he replies, "I think of a man, and then take away reason and accountability", or something like that...

flymuse

Sexism in the city

March 25th, 2004, 12:18 pm

If men hire women for looks, why do women hire men? If women ran the City or Wall Street, would all those smart PHD/MBA types be retained or replaced by Long John Silvers? Bring on the women bosses.

NorthernJohn

Sexism in the city

March 25th, 2004, 2:42 pm

Last edited by NorthernJohn on March 28th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tw

Re: Sexism in the city

February 14th, 2020, 2:16 pm

I see the Cesar film awards are now having their diversity controversies alongside the BAFTAs and Oscars

One modelling aspect of this (that I always think is very relevant for the seemingly awful taste in movies evidenced in the Oscars)
is that basically all Oscar nominees are entitled to become Academy members; that is the main route. 
The Cesars and BAFTAs basically have a membership open to industry participants in general (but with dodgy sounding proposer and seconder arrangements).

If you make the assumption that the movie industry has a certain percentage of sexist bastards who will always votes against the interests of
women, (or minorities) then the Oscars process has a obvious bottleneck in reaching an equilibrium
If you further make the assumption that the rest always vote fairly for the best film, what will the extra waiting time for Oscars to reach diversity equilibrium?
Obvious a few assumptions need to be made about the nominees per year/industry size ratio.

Should the relative the rate to equilibrium between BAFTAs  (say) and Oscars be related to that ratio? With what scaling?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On