SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

DiceMan
Topic Author

the luck factor

April 14th, 2004, 8:19 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3622817.stmThis is related to a discussion we had a couple of years ago.He (the article) doesn t specify if the people involved in the project are all from the northern hemisphere though...

DiceMan
Topic Author

the luck factor

April 14th, 2004, 9:38 am

i ve just emailed the guy.he said all the people involved in the project were born in the uk.

mikebell

the luck factor

April 15th, 2004, 9:08 pm

"Those who were born in May were the most likely to consider themselves lucky while those born in October had the most negative view of their lives."I was born in October and I don't believe in luck. Hmmm... I'm just a realist.

LondonPete

the luck factor

April 15th, 2004, 9:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mikebell"Those who were born in May were the most likely to consider themselves lucky while those born in October had the most negative view of their lives."I was born in October and I don't believe in luck. Hmmm... I'm just a realist.I was born in May.Because I'm a Taurus I always have an optimistic look on the markets.

Nonius

the luck factor

April 16th, 2004, 3:32 am

I'm a lion....I feel bright and cheerful as long as I am not in a postal mood.

Mela

the luck factor

April 16th, 2004, 8:38 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: LondonPeteI was born in May.Because I'm a Taurus I always have an optimistic look on the markets.My dad and I were born in May too (both Taurus) and we are always very cheerful and pleasant. On the other hand, my mum and sister were born in April (still Tarus') and they have the worst disposition possible. How can the time-space of nearly two weeks make us so different? Or maybe this astrology lark isn't really very reliable? I don't know about luck though - we tend to be a very unlucky family!

nsande

the luck factor

April 16th, 2004, 9:08 am

"This is the excellent foppery of the world, that, when we are sick in fortune--often the surfeit of our own behavior--we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars: as if we were villains by necessity; fools by heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves, and treachers, by spherical predominance; drunkards, liars, and adulterers, by an enforced obedience of planetary influence; and all that we are evil in, by a divine thrusting on: an admirable evasion of whoremaster man, to lay his goatish disposition to the charge of a star! My father compounded with my mother under the dragon's tail; and my nativity was under Ursa major; so that it follows, I am rough and lecherous. Tut, I should have been that I am, had the maidenliest star in the firmament twinkled on my bastardizing"from King Lear by William ShakespeareRegards,Niclas

DiceMan
Topic Author

the luck factor

April 16th, 2004, 10:06 am

some of the people who believe in astrology believe in it because they have notticed patterns: "people born in september behave more like this and so on...."the point of this research is that:if there are behavioral differences between people born in may and people born in october (etc...) it is not due to astrology. it would be due to the fact that a baby born in may will have summer for the first few months of his life whereas the one born in october will have winter.this could influence the development of the child.and it makes more sense than astrology i think...now they need to check their theory with southern hemisphere people.

nsande

the luck factor

April 16th, 2004, 12:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DiceMansome of the people who believe in astrology believe in it because they have notticed patterns: "people born in september behave more like this and so on...."the point of this research is that:if there are behavioral differences between people born in may and people born in october (etc...) it is not due to astrology. it would be due to the fact that a baby born in may will have summer for the first few months of his life whereas the one born in october will have winter.this could influence the development of the child.and it makes more sense than astrology i think...now they need to check their theory with southern hemisphere people.I think it is hard to find something that makes less sense than astrology.Regards,Niclas

Mela

the luck factor

April 16th, 2004, 12:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: nsandeI think it is hard to find something that makes less sense than astrology.Regards,NiclasThere are loads of stuff, but astrology is what gets into your newspapers!The runes, tarot cards, chinese astrology, feng shui, reading tea leaves... Take your pick!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On