Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

LondonPete

How do single people working on WS meet their soulmate?

April 20th, 2004, 7:32 am

OK honest answer, eh?Well it would have to be the impossible: true love with an attractive wife who has the same/very marginally lower intelligence as me. I'd be looking for long-term stability and two kids.

nikol

April 20th, 2004, 8:31 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: LondonPeteOK honest answer, eh?Well it would have to be the impossible: true love with an attractive wife who has the same/very marginally lower intelligence as me. I'd be looking for long-term stability and two kids.Irony of the life is that if a woman is really intelligent you will never notice it, especially if you are in love with her. It is the first-type marriage.Truely equal partnership is there where you really accept her intelligence, advices and participation in your (internal/external) life. In this (second) case, the long-term relationship is guaranteed with higher probability. The point is that women have ambition too, but they realise it differently than men: either through marriage having the same problem as you do - finding a nice man - or doing everything herself (than the second-type man is an ideal match)The question about kids is easy.

exotiq

April 20th, 2004, 11:21 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: nsandeAs people have previously pointed out, a Wilmott singles forum would suffer from a severe gender imbalance and would be of little use to heterosexuals.My old Alma Mater had the same problem (90% male). They used to arrange parties together with the school of nursing that was located nearby (90% female 10% undecided). Maybe Paul can coordinate the singles forum with another forum (with members from a different profession) with a complementary gender mix.I am already married so I will have little use for it either way.Regards,NiclasNote use of the word "little" as opposed to "no". :-)Great point though; in grad school, several of our socials were with schools of journalism, public policy, ancient languages etc. I think a famous author once said there is something even better than a woman who can speak Greek, but I have trouble imagining what that could possibly be.

nsande

April 20th, 2004, 12:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: exotiqQuoteOriginally posted by: nsandeI am already married so I will have little use for it either way.Note use of the word "little" as opposed to "no". :-)That is easily explained. "Little" refers to my expected utility. I guess that this in turn could be written as the product of the probability that I will become single and the usefullness of the forum. The annual divorce rate in Oslo is 16,9 (1997-2002), i.e. 16,9 divorces per 1000 married couples. in other words, there is a 1,7% probability that I will have use for the singles forum within one year. In fact, the probability is slightly higher since the statistics show that a marriage is most likely to end in divorce after 5 to 9 years. We have been married for 5 years. Regards,Niclas

player

April 20th, 2004, 12:35 pm

Quote full of blondes with an awesome body.Is this not just HR???Failing that walking downstairs to my firm's main reception,...is full of such figures...When you see so many of them the wow factor quickly disappears

Energetic

April 20th, 2004, 3:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DancerCan all of you driven, uber-intelligent males tell me that you'd be happy with a blue-eyed blond with a good figure that doesnt challenge you? Poorly formulated question. Happy for how long?

exotiq

April 20th, 2004, 3:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: EnergeticQuoteOriginally posted by: DancerCan all of you driven, uber-intelligent males tell me that you'd be happy with a blue-eyed blond with a good figure that doesnt challenge you? Poorly formulated question. Happy for how long?And challenges me in what way?
Last edited by exotiq on April 19th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Man

April 20th, 2004, 4:23 pm

Question is flawed, people on WS have no soul.

peace
Topic Author

April 21st, 2004, 2:30 am

dude,Looking at "Perfect Match" show. You will see how hard it is to find a person comparable to you.

Dancer

April 21st, 2004, 7:13 am

QuotePoorly formulated question. Happy for how long?Length of time obviously cannot be defined. For those who believe in soul mates or true Love....then happy for the rest of your life. For those who dont, then happy for such a woman to be your wife/long-term partner/bearer of your children/carer of your children for as long as the relationship can be sustained and satisfying. Which of course begs the question of whether you believe in monogamy?It should be clear (and apologies if not) that I would not wonder about the satisfaction an intelligent male would get from a one night/one week....relationship with a ditsy hot blond And challenges me in what way?Clearly I dont mean challenges you physically. Someone with whom you can intelligently discuss your views and opinions on ANY matter, someone who challenges those opinions. Someone who can make you see things in a way you've never seen, whose opinions you respect, whose work you respect.

Energetic

April 21st, 2004, 12:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DancerLength of time obviously cannot be defined. For those who believe in soul mates or true Love....then happy for the rest of your life. For those who dont, then happy for such a woman to be your wife/long-term partner/bearer of your children/carer of your children for as long as the relationship can be sustained and satisfying. Which of course begs the question of whether you believe in monogamy?It should be clear (and apologies if not) that I would not wonder about the satisfaction an intelligent male would get from a one night/one week....relationship with a ditsy hot blond First of all, let me point out to you (since you're new here) that serious questions can be asked only on Technical or General forums while silly questions (I'm referring to monogamy bit) are not permitted anywhere.What you're asking is whether intellectual parity is prerequisite for "happy" "long-term" relationship. The answer is no. There's more than one way to be happy. It's my observation that if a woman is intelligent and good-looking she's typically a bitch. Therefore by choosing and intelligent partner I'm setting myself for the choice between bad looks and bad attitude. Neither helps long term relationships.

tabris

April 21st, 2004, 4:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: EnergeticWhat you're asking is whether intellectual parity is prerequisite for "happy" "long-term" relationship. The answer is no. There's more than one way to be happy. I agree, but at the same time another idea of what most guys I know look for in a happy/long term relationship is someone that compliments themselves fairly well. An easy example is that if they know themselves to be a miserable cook but loves food, they would want to look for a partner that either knows how to cook. This example is easily applied to both genders since I know plenty of females who cannot even crack an egg but loves the idea of their partner cooking for them.

DrEvil

April 23rd, 2004, 1:07 pm

Frau just approached me at a good time I guess...meeting one's soulmate is 99% luck.I think Dancer's comment on a wholistic intellectual challenge and complement are why Americans divorce so much...their expectations are too high. Show me a woman that challenges me physically and is fine with my getting intellectual challenges in financial research...

Beavis

April 23rd, 2004, 1:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: EnergeticQuoteOriginally posted by: DancerLength of time obviously cannot be defined. For those who believe in soul mates or true Love....then happy for the rest of your life. For those who dont, then happy for such a woman to be your wife/long-term partner/bearer of your children/carer of your children for as long as the relationship can be sustained and satisfying. Which of course begs the question of whether you believe in monogamy?It should be clear (and apologies if not) that I would not wonder about the satisfaction an intelligent male would get from a one night/one week....relationship with a ditsy hot blond First of all, let me point out to you (since you're new here) that serious questions can be asked only on Technical or General forums while silly questions (I'm referring to monogamy bit) are not permitted anywhere.What you're asking is whether intellectual parity is prerequisite for "happy" "long-term" relationship. The answer is no. There's more than one way to be happy. It's my observation that if a woman is intelligent and good-looking she's typically a bitch. Therefore by choosing and intelligent partner I'm setting myself for the choice between bad looks and bad attitude. Neither helps long term relationships.If you're referring to Americans, then you're mostly correct. However this isn't necessarily the case with foreign women. Especially eastern Europeans.

DrEvil

April 23rd, 2004, 2:25 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: BeavisIf you're referring to Americans, then you're mostly correct. However this isn't necessarily the case with foreign women. Especially eastern Europeans.Beavis -- while you're stereotyping will you say that Energetic is even more correct when it comes to East Asians as opposed to even the Americans? Show us your scale!