SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

DiceMan

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 12:15 pm

Quoteyou must be kidding me if you compare the class of Zidane with Maradona. Zidane is good, Maradona is great.If you think about cheating it always happens. I have been told Britain won its world cup with help of refreeswho totally overlooked the fouls that Britain resorted to throughout the worldcup. I dont know how much truth is there to these allegations. Even without the hand of God goal Britain would have lost pants down. Why are youalways whining my British friends accept the facts. Maradona's personal life may be full ofblemishes but he used to be a dream footballer. and all that time i thought it was england that won the world cup!! ps: i agree with you. i have been told there is so much cheating too. I don t know how much truth there is in it, but i still say it!pps: did you know that the tv people cheated the video and that maradona actually headed the ball!
Last edited by DiceMan on April 21st, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

player

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 12:17 pm

QuoteEven without the hand of God goal Britain would have lost pants downFirstly you mean england, not britain...As for losing pants down......A 3-2 score line indicates a close match and given the chances than we missed Barnes and lineker being guilty of these misses I would say that it would have been a very close match....

Mela

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 1:06 pm

I like Michael Owen... Not sure if he's all that good as a player, but he's easy on the eyes!

akimon

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 1:22 pm

player

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 1:52 pm

Owen at one point was hailed as a genius….and there was an hot debate in the UK about who was better: owen, van nistleroy or Henry.. Unfortunately the last two years owen’s form has dipped alarmingly and it is a sad fact that the debate is now just between henry or van nistleroy. Owen’s record currently at taking penaltys say it all (taken 17 missed 10). I hope being a liverpool fan that he does come back to form although I doubt it will be with us

BobM

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 2:36 pm

3-2 ??QuoteOriginally posted by: playerQuoteEven without the hand of God goal Britain would have lost pants downFirstly you mean england, not britain...As for losing pants down......A 3-2 score line indicates a close match and given the chances than we missed Barnes and lineker being guilty of these misses I would say that it would have been a very close match....

DiceMan

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 2:39 pm

can t think of many players who ve improved much at liverpool over the last few years...

Tripitaka

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 2:43 pm

depressing thing was that when paul scholes used the hand of god to score as a part of his hattrick against the poles in 1999 nobody blinked. maradonna was a cheat, but he was just a bit ahead of his time

tabris

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 2:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: samudra...If you think about cheating it always happens. I have been told Britain won its world cup with help of refreeswho totally overlooked the fouls that Britain resorted to throughout the worldcup. I dont know how much truth is there to these allegations...Speaking of cheating refs... I am still bitter about the Spain vs. Korea game in the recent world cup... I had money riding on Spain too... We all know how GOOD Korea was...

DiceMan

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 3:03 pm

what about schumacher breaking batiston's teeth?i can believe that the ref was fooled by maradona, as you sort of need a replay to see what s going on.but the shcumacher thing is .... so obvious...

DiceMan

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 3:04 pm

anyway, the good news today is that we won t have to hear ron atkinson' s stupid and racist comments anymore.

player

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 3:24 pm

i meant 2-1Quotecan t think of many players who ve improved much at liverpool over the last few years...Gerrad is the only player who has improved. The rest have just been between crap and awful….Owen did improve but now he's in no mans landAgreed with the comment on Big ron although most commentators speak from their behind

Tripitaka

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 3:35 pm

FRODE KIPPE 700,000 JEAN MICHEL FERRI 1.7M RIGOBERT SONG 2.6M DJIMI TRAORE 550,000 SAMI HYYPIA 3M TITI CAMARA 2.6 STEPHAINE HENCHOZ 3.5 SANDER WESTERVELD 4M VLAD SMICER 4.2M DIETMAR HAMMAN 8M EMILE HESKEY 11M BERNARD DIOMEDE 3M NICK BARMBY 6M CHRISTIAN ZIEGE 5.5M GREGORY VIGNAL 500,000 DANNY SJOLUND 1M IGOR BISCAN 5.5M JOHN ARNE RIISE 4.6M CHRIS KIRKLAND 6M JERZY DUDEK 4.85M MILAN BAROS 3.6M ABEL XAVIER 800,000 EL-HADJI DIOUF 10M BRUNO CHEYROU 3.7M SALIF DIAO 5M HARRY KEWELL 5M FLORENT SINAMA PONGOLLE 3M ANTHONY LE TALLEC 3M STEVE FINNAN 3.5MTOTAL SPENDING £116.4millionwho are all these people? they sound like a list of bad anagrams, and they were pretty expensive. fair enough some of them are pretty good and harry was a steal, but there's a lot been spent on people that haven't even registered on the richter scale

BobM

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 4:27 pm

Stevie "Whoosh" Gerrard isnt much better. He does well for England (or Britain as people like to call them in this thread), but is just too much hit and miss at Liverpool. Outstanding at times, then five minutes later falling over the ball or hitting woeful 60 yard passes for no reason. If he just kept things simple he could make alot more of his talents..... QuoteOriginally posted by: playeri meant 2-1Quotecan t think of many players who ve improved much at liverpool over the last few years...Gerrad is the only player who has improved. The rest have just been between crap and awful….Owen did improve but now he's in no mans landAgreed with the comment on Big ron although most commentators speak from their behind

BobM

Maradona/Beckham

April 22nd, 2004, 4:32 pm

I think Stevie Finnan is one of the greatest examples of how limited Liverpool are and poor Houllier is. At Fulham and for Ireland he was outstanding, one of the best attacking full backs around. He made the premiership team of the year and was often played further forward in midfield (and most importantly was instrumental in that goal against Holland !!). These days he looks terrified when he gets the ball, and is on a leash never venturing outside of his half. He is turning into another Carragher - a good defender who offers little else and can take no constructive part in the game (interestingly Carragher was once also seen as a midfielder - I think not now)...... QuoteOriginally posted by: TripitakaFRODE KIPPE 700,000 JEAN MICHEL FERRI 1.7M RIGOBERT SONG 2.6M DJIMI TRAORE 550,000 SAMI HYYPIA 3M TITI CAMARA 2.6 STEPHAINE HENCHOZ 3.5 SANDER WESTERVELD 4M VLAD SMICER 4.2M DIETMAR HAMMAN 8M EMILE HESKEY 11M BERNARD DIOMEDE 3M NICK BARMBY 6M CHRISTIAN ZIEGE 5.5M GREGORY VIGNAL 500,000 DANNY SJOLUND 1M IGOR BISCAN 5.5M JOHN ARNE RIISE 4.6M CHRIS KIRKLAND 6M JERZY DUDEK 4.85M MILAN BAROS 3.6M ABEL XAVIER 800,000 EL-HADJI DIOUF 10M BRUNO CHEYROU 3.7M SALIF DIAO 5M HARRY KEWELL 5M FLORENT SINAMA PONGOLLE 3M ANTHONY LE TALLEC 3M STEVE FINNAN 3.5MTOTAL SPENDING £116.4millionwho are all these people? they sound like a list of bad anagrams, and they were pretty expensive. fair enough some of them are pretty good and harry was a steal, but there's a lot been spent on people that haven't even registered on the richter scale
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On