SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

LondonPete
Topic Author

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 9:14 pm

OK not the best topic, but useful (for me, and others), as evidenced by my icon...Anyone have experience of hair transplants? Or medication, or even those voodoo hoodoo remedies?Basically what works.I bet this will be a 600 read, 0 replies postI did warn LongTheta I'd post this...

tabris

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 9:22 pm

I have always wondered about Rogaine after seeing so many of their commercials. However, I have no experience with this but would offer the advice to speak with your doctor on this issue. I believe there are certain products/procedures that works well with a certain type of hair-loss.

Custard

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 9:27 pm

No experience of hairloss. Just watched a TV prog on transplants actually (which might be the catalyst for your thread)Unfortunately, organ transplants.There was a guy on it who sold one cornea, one kidney and just waiting for a buyer for half his liver. All just to pay his debts. He still owed. What next? What a shady world some areas of the transplant world are. More people should carry doner cards! Seems the fair value of a kidney can be from $500 to $125,000Bit off the subject but thought it would be worth mentioning.

LondonPete
Topic Author

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 9:37 pm

Well, hair transplants are taken from follicles at the rear and side of YOUR OWN head where male pattern baldness does not affect hair loss. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this it's apparently US$2,000-6,000, same number in GBP for the UK, it’s been occurring since the 1950s in a more crude form.There’s saw palmetto as a herb that many people seem to use instead of drugs too. I’ve not tried anything yet, I’m just beginning to think about trying to do something. Tabris: I'm sure you're a Doctor (maybe not of Medicine), anyway, so I could ask you
Last edited by LondonPete on April 21st, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 9:39 pm

Last edited by ppauper on December 14th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LondonPete
Topic Author

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 9:44 pm

judging from your photo LondonPete, that hairline is receding pretty quicklyShit, you noticed. I should stop kidding myself and stop listening to my sycophantic friends... As it's relitively a slow process I convinced myself I'm not really balding.And no, I'm geuinely not being sarcastic, hard as it may seem.
Last edited by LondonPete on April 21st, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veegan

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 10:05 pm

LP,Why fight it? Just let nature take its course.I would strongly warn against hair transplants. Like hairpieces, they are easily spotted and quite frankly the people I have seen look like the transplant could only have come from a particularly hairless bollock. At some point you just have to accept the inevitable with dignity.Early hair loss runs in both sides of my bloodline and my mop is living on borrowed time as it is, but when the hairloss becomes noticeable I am reaching for the clippers and going straight for the No.2 all over. As a bonus, the addition of some properly rugged stubble would then look like intention rather than laziness.If you have seen Jason Stratham in 'Lock Stock...' or 'The Transporter' you will see what I mean. That chap manages to make baldness look good. And it certainly didn't stop his girlfriend looking twice.V.

silverside

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 10:09 pm

yeah, just lose it all, hot towel & shaving foam, the light glinting off your shiny pate will make you irresistible.

LondonPete
Topic Author

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 10:10 pm

Jason Stratham in 'Lock Stock...' or 'The Transporter' you will see what I meanSome friend "borrowed for an extended period of time" my Lock Stock DVD do I cannot verify this. Anyway, I've grown attached to my hair I want to keep it; I believe GOOD transplants are not obvious - granted, shit bulk, cheap ones are but not the good ones. One of the GQ model's has had a hair transplant...I remember being lambasted for having a mop at school, since then I've used a swept-back Gecko approach. Why fight it? Just let nature take its course.Don't want to give in.
Last edited by LondonPete on April 22nd, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LondonPete
Topic Author

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 10:17 pm

OK - is my hairline "bad", yes this is a case of paranoia.

Veegan

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 10:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: silversideyeah, just lose it all, hot towel & shaving foam, the light glinting off your shiny pate will make you irresistible.No, no no! The shiny look is worn well by local club doorman only. You've got to keep a couple of mm to diffuse the light.

Veegan

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 10:26 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: LondonPeteOne of the GQ model's has had a hair transplant...That's another solution - perfect a GQ-front-cover body to compensate. And then show it off as much as possible.

LondonPete
Topic Author

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 10:33 pm

Veegan I like you because:=i) our mutual friend;ii) rejection of shiny bald being an option (for me);iii) your alcoholism.Still, I need more hair - I need working solutions!

Veegan

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 10:57 pm

Well, I guess the only solution is the hair transplant option. It doesn't look like fun though - multiple treatments over many months, pain, swelling, time off work, and having the people around you bear witness to the whole process.Not an easy option by any means.V.

LongTheta

Hair Loss

April 22nd, 2004, 11:40 pm

Sean Connery once said something along the lines of "Let your head be, and it will let you be".
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On