SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

WaaghBakri
Topic Author

Amusing Quotes

June 29th, 2002, 12:07 am

"A kiss without a moustache is like an egg without salt" - Old Spanish Quote
Last edited by WaaghBakri on June 28th, 2002, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

Amusing Quotes

June 29th, 2002, 4:32 am

WaaghBakri>"A kiss without a moustache is like an egg without salt" - Old Spanish QuoteNow I know why I prefer eggs without salt. From one egg topic to another: cholesterol, the egg yolk is considered very bad for the cholesterol. When I was 19-20 years old I used to eat about 8-15 eggs every day. I always brought a big bottle with raw eggs and milk that I was drinking during the day, every 3 hour. However at the annual health check my cholesterol came out very low, and it is still very low. So either I am a tail event, or the yolk cholesterol theory is flawed ?May be it is eggs with moustache that gives high cholesterol, well I prefer to stay healthy, no moustache for me.
Last edited by Collector on June 28th, 2002, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omar

Amusing Quotes

June 29th, 2002, 5:25 am

" So either I am a tail event, or the yolk cholesterol theory is flawed ?"The old cholestrol theory (of 10 to 15 years ago) is flawed. In the latest version that I heard, there is bad cholestrol and good cholestrol and the egg yoke variety belongs to the latter. I have no idea what they will come up with next.
Last edited by Omar on June 28th, 2002, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

Amusing Quotes

June 29th, 2002, 1:32 pm

>there is bad cholestrol and good cholestrol and the egg yoke variety belongs to the lattergood news, so time to eat more eggs again, do they still trade egg futures in chicago? Going long a few future contracts and taking delivery could be the thing to do
Last edited by Collector on June 28th, 2002, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David

Amusing Quotes

June 29th, 2002, 3:31 pm

<< good news, so time to eat more eggs again, do they still trade egg futures in chicago? Going long a few future contracts and taking delivery could be the thing to do >>Egg futures are traded in the Euronext-Amsterdam future exchange.I think going long one Egg future contract is more than enough if you intend holding it until the delivery process is complete. You will be the happy owner of 129,800 chicken eggs (approx. 8,100 kg). Assuming that you are consuming 15 eggs per day, then you will have enough eggs for 23.7 years! I also assume that there's no storage problem on your side that cannot be fixed.

WaaghBakri
Topic Author

Amusing Quotes

June 29th, 2002, 4:01 pm

was 19-20 years old I used to eat about 8-15 eggs every dayYou are the poster child the egg industry has been seeking.....

Omar

Amusing Quotes

June 29th, 2002, 5:07 pm

"good news, so time to eat more eggs again, do they still trade egg futures in chicago? Going long a few future contracts and taking delivery could be the thing to do" Just remember that too much of anything can do serious damage

reza

Amusing Quotes

June 29th, 2002, 6:01 pm

... amusing quotes ...I read somewhere, once during the Civil War, one of Lincoln aides asked him- Mr. President, Do you think that God is on our side?he answered- I think the real question is whether we are on God's side.
Last edited by reza on June 28th, 2002, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron

Amusing Quotes

June 29th, 2002, 8:05 pm

When I was 19-20 years old I used to eat about 8-15 eggs every day. I always brought a big bottle with raw eggs and milk that I was drinking during the day, every 3 hour. However at the annual health check my cholesterol came out very low, and it is still very low. So either I am a tail event, or the yolk cholesterol theory is flawed? >>No one has ever demonstrated a link between eating cholesterol (animal fat) and cholesterol levels. While it might sound like common sense that the two are related, it really isn't. Any animal fat you eat is broken down into basic constituents, any cholesterol in your blood is manufactured by your body.It is true that people who get a high proportion of their calories from fat and don't engage in regular vigorous physical activity tend to have high cholesterol and associated health problems, even if they are not overweight. But that's not a controlled study. There's a whole range of nutritional and lifestyle defects that go together there.The current thinking is the ratio of low density lipoproteins ("good" cholesterol) to high density lipoproteins is a better predictor of heart health than either measurement individually. But that could change. Moreover, egg whites contain potent cholesterol lowering factors. They're a great source of protein and good nourishment to poor people, especially where refrigeration is unreliable and meat is either too expensive or poor quality.

Aaron

Amusing Quotes

June 29th, 2002, 8:07 pm

But the classic Lincoln-related quote is still:"But aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

WaaghBakri
Topic Author

Amusing Quotes

July 10th, 2002, 9:42 pm

From a cheese cookbook I was browsing through:I don't want cheese, I just want to get out of the trap. -- Latin ProverbAge is not important unless you're a cheese. -- Helen HayesHow can anyone govern a nation [France] that has 246 different kinds of cheese? -- Charles de Gaulle

markfd

Amusing Quotes

July 11th, 2002, 6:45 am

A couple of the most famous Churchill quotes:Atlee to Churchill - Can I borrow a coin to phone a friendChurchill to Atlee - Here's two, phone them both.Woman MP to Churchill - Winston you are horribly drunk.Churchill to Woman MP - Madam you are horribly ugly but tomorrow I shall be sober.

DiceMan

Amusing Quotes

July 11th, 2002, 7:15 am

My ambition is handicapped by my laziness. Charles Bukowski.I'm suprised Hamilton didn't mention Bukowski in his great writers thread

RowdyRoddyPiper

Amusing Quotes

July 11th, 2002, 2:15 pm

One more from Winston, he's pithy to the maxLady Astor to Churchill: "Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee"Churchill to Lady Astor: "Nancy, it I were your husband, I'd drink it"

markfd

Amusing Quotes

July 12th, 2002, 7:09 am

Wasn't there one from Reagan "Is this the button to nuke Iran?" or something
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On