SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

SPAAGG
Topic Author

France !!!! droit au but !!!

June 14th, 2004, 7:08 am

Alors, je crois que mon pari (i.e France championne d'europe) est bien parti pour se réaliser !!!!J'attends encore de voir comment elle va jouer contre la Suisse !

SPAAGG
Topic Author

June 14th, 2004, 7:34 am

Are you upset about England's result ????No frenchies in the place ?

player

June 14th, 2004, 7:42 am

If it had not been for a single referring decsion you would not be celebrating. Rule of football categorically state that Silvestre should have been sent off for his reckless foul.Down to ten men I doubt France would have won.....All this match did was highlight how great Zidane is and how all the rest of the players on the pitch (english and French) have a long way to go before they reach his level

DominicConnor

June 14th, 2004, 7:57 am

Alas, the British media love football. A lot.Every defeat of England comes as a shock.The gang of wife beating drug addicts we refer to as a national football team have as much hope of winning this competition as they have of staying sober for the matches.

Etuka

June 14th, 2004, 10:30 am

Gosh, that's uncharacteristically harsh and unjustified, DCFC.Just a bunch of young men that did not fully cope with the pressure they put themselves under. When the football was flowing it was good to see, but when the tension set in in the second half, it was the sort of game I have seen England play many many many times.

DominicConnor

June 14th, 2004, 10:31 am

There was quite a good analysis in Saturday's FT.They lamented the ball skills of England players, and said that having to chase the ball would make them tired in Portugal where it is a lot hotter than in England.Pretty accurate.

DrBen

June 14th, 2004, 11:39 am

The temperature definately took its toll (it was 25C), but I am still unhappy at theapproach in the second half. Doing an Italian style, let's get 10 men behind the balland defend with 30min left; should not be the approach of any England side. Ipersonally think an English manager should play in the English (end-to-end or 'huffand puff') style; rather than the continential (aka Italian) accademic style.

player

June 14th, 2004, 11:45 am

Agreed we played rubbish in the second half but France didnt exactly create clear cut chances. They huffed and they puffed but they didnt force calamity james into making a seriuos save......They won it due to three reasons; a stupid referee, us pushing the self destruct button (Beckham, gerrad, Heskey, Cole and James all to blame as well as erikson for taking off rooney) and the prescence of a true world class player in ZZ.

Tripitaka

June 14th, 2004, 11:49 am

neither team looked likely to score from open play; maybe they'll be better in more important games but england's ability to hold onto the ball in the second half was very poor. the big question is will england use it as a bit of adversity to struggle against or will it be too big a blow to their confidence? losing a pool match is no big deal as long as they come back fighting ion the other two

Tripitaka

June 14th, 2004, 11:51 am

the free kick wasn't very good either, head high in the middle of james' side of the goal - zz called his bluff as james moved over to cover the wall's side of the goal

DrBen

June 14th, 2004, 12:07 pm

Rooney looked absolute class, switching Rooney for Heskey ("The Donkey")seemed hard to believe. Anyway, I thought when England stretched the gameand gave Rooney the ball and let him run at defenders; things looked like theycould happen. Hope the coach keeps the same starting line up, andencourages them to play in a style we can all feel pride of.Naturally, I was in shock after the game; I just could not believe it. Anyhow before Ihad watched the Croatia-Switzerland game and both of these sides looked very weak.Both these teams only hope of qualitfying was to win that game and play for a drawagainst France and England; and still no-one came need scoring. England even if theyplay worse than yesterday will walk through both these games and qualify for thenext round...

hotone

June 14th, 2004, 12:18 pm

What a Game! Vive Bathez! Vive Zidane! Vive la France!Very lucky though and I hope that this will help French Guys to play better...(and yes I am French)

ppauper

June 14th, 2004, 12:31 pm

Last edited by ppauper on December 17th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mela

June 14th, 2004, 12:38 pm

I am doubly sad... Portugal lost on Saturday and England lost yesterday... It was a depressing weekend.On a brighter note, England-supporters were so downcast, they didn't have the heart to get into fights over here... Which, after Saturday's shenanigans, was a good thing.

DrBen

June 14th, 2004, 12:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: hotoneWhat a Game! Vive Bathez! Vive Zidane! Vive la France!Very lucky though and I hope that this will help French Guys to play better...(and yes I am French)The French won because of our mistakes not because of there football. Having said that I think a draw wouldhave been a fair result based on the balance on play, sure they had the ball from most the second half but ourboyz handled anything the French tried.p.s. I would stick with King at the back
Last edited by DrBen on June 13th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On