SPAAGG
Topic Author

France !!!! droit au but !!!

June 30th, 2004, 9:21 am

ce soir les portugais vont pleurer ...

Mela

July 1st, 2004, 8:11 am

There were a lot of tears... of joy!PORTUGAL!! (Will we win the finals? Only time will tell...)

player

July 1st, 2004, 8:19 am

I'll be routing for the czech republic......being an LFC fan its great to see baros do his thing....but congrats anyway on getting to the final...holland were a joke and if they had manged an equalizer it would have been daylight robbery....Having said that i though heskey was bad ...pauleta how can he miss such easy chances

Etuka

July 1st, 2004, 9:12 pm

Greece - Christmas and Birthdays rolled into one.

David

July 1st, 2004, 10:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MelaThere were a lot of tears... of joy!PORTUGAL!! (Will we win the finals? Only time will tell...)I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you to burst into tears of pleasure after the final whistle on Sunday. Boa sorte!
Last edited by David on July 1st, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

player

July 1st, 2004, 10:49 pm

NoooooooooooMela,.. make sure portugal win on Sunday...if greece win it will a victory of boring, defensive football......so lucky to beat czech...so many chances.....anyone know of any good bars with portugese supporters in london so i can see the match on sunday....I tempted to go in some greek strong hold wearing a portugal flag....

jimt

July 2nd, 2004, 1:59 am

Player you thrillseeker you! If you do that you might want to develop a taste for Ouzo !My view is that the Czechs only looked menacing from set plays, and the Greeks, credit to them, stood up to the Czechs who were clear favourites. In normal time the game was IMHO even until the last 20 minutes when the Czechs dominated and could have won.Extra time was a different story with the Greeks being dominant and could have scored thrice not once. That Tsiartsas is lethal for set plays - point perfect delivery. I wouldn't class that as defensive, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.It will be an interesting final. The pressure will be on Portugal. If anything, the Greeks will be on a real high, flying on adrenaline, and lets not forget that they have already beaten Portugal,...and France, and the Czechs... Anything can happen.

DiceMan

July 2nd, 2004, 7:41 am

QuoteMela,.. make sure portugal win on Sunday...if greece win it will a victory of boring, defensive football......so lucky to beat czech...so many chances.....what if portugal win? did you see the portugal goalkeeper towards the end of the semi final? all this playacting, falling to the ground, acting as if he was injured, to gain some time...besides i tend to agree with van nilsteroy, lots of the referee decisions went portugal way...

Paul

July 2nd, 2004, 8:08 am

I had the luxury of only seeing extra time yesterday, missing the first 90 minutes which I hear weren't very exciting. I'm with jimt that Greece were fantastic in extra time. I watched the match in a Greek neighbourhood of London, so didn't get much sleep last night!P

Tripitaka

July 2nd, 2004, 11:26 am

i am reliably informed that the pub to be in in london if you want to find the portugeuse is in stockwell, can't remember the name...

Mela

July 2nd, 2004, 12:42 pm

Stockwell and Brixton are bursting with portuguese. Don't know about pubs, I was too young when I lived there to even know what those were! Just follow the men dressed in red and green...

player

July 2nd, 2004, 2:33 pm

Greece had the better of extra time since they had defended for the entire 90 minutes using a varitey of tactics some legal and some not so legal and were helped by the fact that collina being his last internatinoal match wasnt up for sending some one off...As for the diving and playacting only england, france and czech to my knowledge have, I would say not been guilty of that.....I have no sympathy for the dutch esp when Ruud "Van diver" is playing for them and is donig the moaning about play acting...The phrase the pot calling the kettle black comes to mind....

HankScorpio

July 2nd, 2004, 5:36 pm

You are entitled to your opinions, but I believe that argument is flawed for a number of reasons:1. The Czechs dominated the first 15 and last 20 minutes. Other than that the match was pretty sterile from both sides during normal time. Both had chances, not many were really threatening. And both sides were rather defensive - I would say the occasion got the better of them. I sensed the Czechs becoming the more frustrated side as time went on as they were expected to win.2. Man-to-Man marking employed by the Greeks (very effective in this case, just ask Barros ) takes it out of you in a big way if you have to do it for 90 minutes+. The Greeks must be a very fit side to be able to kick derrier in extra time. So I don't buy this "they defended for 90 minutes thats why they shined at extra time".
Last edited by HankScorpio on July 1st, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On