ndes
Topic Author

What ever happened to Reza?

January 2nd, 2005, 1:08 pm

He used to post here a lot.

jason43

January 3rd, 2005, 1:31 am

Have you not noticed the general decline in participation of quality posters (Save a few notables....like aaron...thanks for sticking around)?

AlphaNumericus

January 3rd, 2005, 1:37 am

I only started posting a few days ago, and someone already called me a "sick freak" with a "sick brain". Maybe that's why.

James

January 3rd, 2005, 9:44 am

A quick glance at my Bloomberg screen on Reza (under 'People') indicates that he:a) worksb) works at a highly regarded, very competative firm,c) works in a difficult job.I expect the r-squared on that being the explaination is pretty high. Some 'noise' on that signal like 'vacation' 'girlfriend' 'parties with buddies' and 'reading books' might also be isolated and stationary. But I have no knowledge that any of these signals, rather than noise, are present.
Last edited by James on January 2nd, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reza

January 3rd, 2005, 12:10 pm

hiand Thanks very much for asking !I'm around and follow the discussions with a lot of interesthowever, as you probably have guessed, my employer does not like me to post too many messagesI will try to participate from time to time thoughcheers and Happy 2005 !
Last edited by reza on January 2nd, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

January 3rd, 2005, 1:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AlphaNumericusI only started posting a few days ago, and someone already called me a "sick freak" with a "sick brain". Maybe that's why.I notice your posting frequency didn't drop at all after you were called a sick freak (I am accepting your presumed classification of yourself as a quality poster). In fact, it went up, as did your time spent refreshing the page. Only a person with a sick brain would ignore the obvious like this.You, on the other hand, suggested that an average is a "questionable" measure, unless all the numbers averaged are very close to the average (or that it is "questionable" when alternative classifications of data are known, or when the use of the measurement is unspecified). That type of blather can drag down the quality of a quant forum, and reduce participation.You also suggested that my assertion that Japan is the "most densely populated place" was "made up." In fact, where a place is defined as a major country - and I implied this definition (to any reader but one with a sick brain) by referring to such a country - my statement was accurate. And rather than being "made up," I obtained the population-density figures from multiple Google results, all of which agreed. I would have used a smaller country where people also took a lot of showers relative to people in the Sahara region, but Samudra had already loosely set the criteria for a "place" by mentioning China and India.QuoteOriginally posted by: jason43Have you not noticed the general decline in participation of quality posters (Save a few notables....like aaron...thanks for sticking around)?This phenomenon usually occurs near the beginning of a new forum. Thereafter, it is always perceived as happening, though objective measurements have never once been offered in any forum where I have heard this complaint. Usually, it can be translated as "Tommy Angelo doesn't post here any more," where "Tommy Angelo" is a person who met a girl and got married...
Last edited by farmer on January 2nd, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exotiq

January 3rd, 2005, 2:29 pm

Good to see you're still around, reza, and we look forward to any new posts your employer lets you put up! Happy 2005...

Joecoss

January 3rd, 2005, 2:51 pm

Exotiq,I am brand new to this site and am in an extremely unusual situation. After viewing many of your posts, I think you may be able assist. Would there be any way you could email me privately? [email protected] in advance

AlphaNumericus

January 4th, 2005, 12:53 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerYou, on the other hand, suggested that an average is a "questionable" measure, unless all the numbers averaged are very close to the average (or that it is "questionable" when alternative classifications of data are known, or when the use of the measurement is unspecified). That type of blather can drag down the quality of a quant forum, and reduce participation. (blah blah blah)No, this is not what I wrote (in the IQ thread). While the regressions they found are extrmely interesting and significant, the average can be misleading when the distribution is very far from normal. For example, the average personal income in China, where a few people have a lot of income, and a lot of rural population have very little income, and few people earn close to the average, is more questionable that of Sweden. It would be nice to be able to what V.I.Lenin did with the Russian census - pigeonhole the population into classes and subclasses and have separate stats for each.In the paper I cited, they effectively took the weighted country average of the averages of several pretty distinct normal distributions, which to me sounded like throwing away good data, and didn't talk enough even about country standard deviations.I am ignoring you because of your name-calling. The point of my mentioning this here was that rude behavior, such as yours, is likely to drive away most quality posters.

James

January 4th, 2005, 9:09 am

"The point of my mentioning this here was that rude behavior, such as yours, is likely to drive away most quality posters."This liklihood is a realized certainty.

farmer

January 4th, 2005, 12:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: JamesThis liklihood is a realized certainty.Is this why you joined a community, James, where the motto of one of the two leaders was "We all need someone we can spit on?" And the other one's favorite daytime activity was stalking lawyers, takingalongwalk, and others?You joined a community that prayed every waking hour that all the quality posters would leave Wilmott. If I am driving them away, you guys should have a shrine to me.I am fairly confident LongTheta would have called AlphaNumericus a "racist," which is the most heartfelt slander he could come up with.And I know for a fact that FDAX called me up to slander Reza and Paul behind their backs. Why? Because he thought I wanted to hear this?The community you joined, James, has an entire forum devoted to slander. You bring up a name like "Aaron" or "DCFC," and then everyone takes a go at slandering that person before you decide to "invite" him or not. You don't even want the "quality posters" there in the first place, you'd rather have Beavis!But I guess if people say something in a hundred private messages to other people, rather than to the person's face they are talking about, that's not rude?I have never said anything in a private message that I would mind the whole forum reading. Most of what you think, James, is thoughts you would never say out loud for fear of censure by your peers. I say what I think and sometimes have it torn down, rather than keeping things to myself because I know my having them in the first place goes against other people's wishes. If I think someone sucks, and he cares, I'll give him a chance to persuade me he doesn't, rather than run a campaign behind his back to get other people to think he does.People have a self image, and you will start a fight by walking up and knocking it out of their hands, right in front of their peers. The only difference with you guys, is you protect yourselves by being more sneaky. You try to sabotage someone without him even being aware of what is going on, because you know you can't get it done if someone fights back. You'll say the same thing I would say, in every instance except when the person is actually present. You're the sorriest bunch of desperate, manipulative cowards.I like arguing, you like ruining people's images. But your fear of taking on face-to-face anyone over age 25 shows what you really know about yourself. LongTheta gets so embarrassed he blames his performance on "racism," and begs for MikeBells responses to him to be erased. You not only "need someone you can spit on" who can't spit back, you need a place you can do it without that person even knowing about it. Because not even takingalongwalk is too small to have a little fun back at your expense.When people set out to establish a social-status pyramid, they aren't always happy with where they end up.
Last edited by farmer on January 3rd, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James

January 4th, 2005, 2:26 pm

I read about three lines of your post, got bored, and suggest you take your lithium. Now please.

farmer

January 4th, 2005, 2:43 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: JamesI read about three lines of your post, got bored, and suggest you take your lithium. Now please.I apologize. I know you had a tough childhood.In the future I will try to make this not just a quant forum, but a "now James has a place where he belongs" forum.In the meantime, I recommend you get by with a "Cheers: The First Season" box set.

Cuchulainn

January 4th, 2005, 3:58 pm

> read about three lines of your post, got bored, and suggest you take your lithium. Now pleaseAll you guys must be rich, self-employed or out of a job. When do you get time to do other work, instead of trying to save the world?