SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

frolloos

Re: Classical music thread...

October 17th, 2016, 8:56 am

Correct spelling is relevant if one doesn't want to expose their ignorance in the field they pretend to be familiar with.

Mitsuko Uchida is a class of her own. You've just insulted her by mentioning her name next to that Spice Girl (same sort as Lang Lang). I cannot think of any other Asian pianist I like...

Take any Russian (or CCCP) pianist for Prokofiev No. 2. Honestly, I don't think anyone else can express the complexity of the piece as fully as they can. I'm not original here and choose the "respectful" interpretation by Y Kissin, but e.g. Beatrice Rana tells it beautifully too:
Who is pretending to be erudite here when everyone else happily admits they are ignorant?

Ah, why do I bother. You're right, of course you're right in everything - after all it's hard (and useless) to argue with the dead.

katastrofa

October 17th, 2016, 9:21 am

Correct spelling is relevant if one doesn't want to expose their ignorance in the field they pretend to be familiar with.

Mitsuko Uchida is a class of her own. You've just insulted her by mentioning her name next to that Spice Girl (same sort as Lang Lang). I cannot think of any other Asian pianist I like...

Take any Russian (or CCCP) pianist for Prokofiev No. 2. Honestly, I don't think anyone else can express the complexity of the piece as fully as they can. I'm not original here and choose the "respectful" interpretation by Y Kissin, but e.g. Beatrice Rana tells it beautifully too:
Who is pretending to be erudite here when everyone else happily admits they are ignorant?

Ah, why do I bother. You're right, of course you're right in everything - after all it's hard (and useless) to argue with the dead.
I didn't say erudite, but familiar with. The next stage to aspire to is an idiot.

frolloos

October 17th, 2016, 9:24 am

I didn't say erudite, but familiar with. The next stage to aspire to is an idiot.
Good luck with your aspiration to become an idiot. I'm sure you'll excel at that too :) Have a nice day.

katastrofa

October 18th, 2016, 6:52 am

A ways back I was on the board of directors of a Canadian orchestra that participated in a new music festival in Amsterdam. We had been warned that the Dutch are very economical with their applause - if you get any at all you've probably done a very good job. I recall this not meaning any kind of disrespect to the Dutch, quite the contrary because I actually prefer that attitude. In North America almost every performer seems to get a standing ovation these days, The phenomenon is called excessive ovation syndrome and the academics study it. I wonder if it is some form of cathartic release over the stress of modern living?
If you go to the Concertgebouw the audience give a standup ovation each 15 minutes.
The Dutch have a saying "kat uit de boom kijken (watch the cat out of tree)" ~ you first have to prove yourself... it's a cultural thing.
I lived in Pavia and Maurice Andre  got three standing ovations. Not surprising I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLDF8OeD-hc

Once I paid a compliment to a girl ... she got very annoyed .. so I stopped paying compliments.
Have you ever been to BBC Proms? It's so famous that the question sounds almost like an insult, but it seems like I'm the only person here who lives in London, an't I? :-) The audience / prommers not only cheer and applaud the performers, but also - according to the tradition - those in the galleries running around the Royal Albert Hall stamp with their feet increasingly fast, and when they cannot go any faster, they burst into even louder ovations. The greatest, who come there, wouldn't dare to ignore it :-) That's where I heard the longest and most beautiful encores, e.g.: (I didn't go to many gigs this year though. They've gotten on the trend of mixing classical and popular music, e.g. this year they tortured some jazz hits. Besides, the most interesting concerts are in late evenings in the middle of the week and I'm not a big fan of lonely walks around London at such time. Let's do some Wilmott Proms night out next year :-D)

Cuchulainn

October 18th, 2016, 9:11 am

No. I have not been, nor have I any intention of doing so. Sorry. It's a Commonwealth thing :)
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Cuchulainn

October 18th, 2016, 10:55 am

La Gazza ladra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceh0-42FXg0

Using Ludwig van like that! He did no harm to anyone. Beethoven just wrote music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeO4RF7eXBc

tw

October 18th, 2016, 11:51 am

A ways back I was on the board of directors of a Canadian orchestra that participated in a new music festival in Amsterdam. We had been warned that the Dutch are very economical with their applause - if you get any at all you've probably done a very good job. I recall this not meaning any kind of disrespect to the Dutch, quite the contrary because I actually prefer that attitude. In North America almost every performer seems to get a standing ovation these days, The phenomenon is called excessive ovation syndrome and the academics study it. I wonder if it is some form of cathartic release over the stress of modern living?
If you go to the Concertgebouw the audience give a standup ovation each 15 minutes.
The Dutch have a saying "kat uit de boom kijken (watch the cat out of tree)" ~ you first have to prove yourself... it's a cultural thing.
I lived in Pavia and Maurice Andre  got three standing ovations. Not surprising I suppose.

Once I paid a compliment to a girl ... she got very annoyed .. so I stopped paying compliments.
Have you ever been to BBC Proms? It's so famous that the question sounds almost like an insult, but it seems like I'm the only person here who lives in London, an't I? :-) The audience / prommers not only cheer and applaud the performers, but also - according to the tradition - those in the galleries running around the Royal Albert Hall stamp with their feet increasingly fast, and when they cannot go any faster, they burst into even louder ovations. The greatest, who come there, wouldn't dare to ignore it :-) That's where I heard the longest and most beautiful encores, e.g.: (I didn't go to many gigs this year though. They've gotten on the trend of mixing classical and popular music, e.g. this year they tortured some jazz hits. Besides, the most interesting concerts are in late evenings in the middle of the week and I'm not a big fan of lonely walks around London at such time. Let's do some Wilmott Proms night out next year :-D)
I was there for Zemlinsky's Lyric symphony this year. Albert Hall only half full!  Philistines! I bet it was full to the rafters for  Jupiter symphony/Einer kleiner Nachtmusik or whatever they use to get the lot from the Shires in.
Wilmott proms night sounds like a good idea.

Cuchulainn

October 18th, 2016, 12:20 pm

I was there for Zemlinsky's Lyric symphony this year. Albert Hall only half full!  Philistines! I bet it was full to the rafters for  Jupiter symphony/Einer kleiner Nachtmusik or whatever they use to get the lot from the Shires in.
As I said a few times,  I never knew the old Vienna before the war with its Strauss music, its glamour and easy charm..
Andre Rieu is a legend.
James Last was also cool.

frolloos

October 18th, 2016, 12:28 pm

To be fair, Eine kleine Nachtmusik, or Eine kleine Scheissmusik as some would call it, is quite accessible for those not born with natural Hammerklavier receptors. Some continue their classical journey to Gubaidulina, others like me to the Spice Girls :)

fulmerspot

October 18th, 2016, 1:06 pm

I'd love to say count me in but I'd probably count as one of 'the lot from the shires' and clap at the wrong moments.
Maybe you could seat me away from the rest of you and then you could all look witheringly at me and my gauche faux pas
Herr KartoffelKopf the dreadful philistine.

Cuchulainn

October 18th, 2016, 2:38 pm

I'd love to say count me in but I'd probably count as one of 'the lot from the shires' and clap at the wrong moments.
Maybe you could seat me away from the rest of you and then you could all look witheringly at me and my gauche faux pas
In Amsterdam, we shuttle the provincials (The Hague, Delft, Rotterdam yikes) as they come off the buses (some of my best friends are) in the Concertgebouw Grote Zaal where they are among their own while I suppose the avant-guard like tw and kat would feel more at home in the Kleine Zaal where the Haydini quartets play.

tw

October 18th, 2016, 2:48 pm

That did come over a bit strong, didn't it? Oops.
Apologies. I was channelling my inner Brian Sewell. The reality is very different 

Cuchulainn

October 18th, 2016, 3:08 pm

BTW No one mentioned the recent demise of Sir Neville Marriner. I was going to mention it ...

Traden4Alpha

October 18th, 2016, 3:15 pm

BTW No one mentioned the recent demise of Sir Neville Marriner. I was going to mention it ...
Some of us pay more attention to semiconductors, what?

Cuchulainn

October 18th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Some of us pay more attention to semiconductors, what?
For such an erudite bunch, I would have expected them to know. More focused on Queen Elis/zabeth Competition, what?
Any, Mozart is fine.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On