Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

samudra

Classical music thread...

February 22nd, 2005, 4:16 pm

Mathew,Leonard Bernstein intro is awesome. I liked it very much. Learning to appreciate and more importantlylook at music with a different perspective.Let me know some great neo-classical/modern composers ( pardon my naievete but as I have said I ama baby when it comes to Western Classical). Other than West Side Story what are the other great works of Bernstein?By the way did you ever get a chance to dance or see Cuban Danza .......For a dance lover I think a pilgrimmage to Havana is mandatory? Even been to Havana?

mdubuque
Topic Author

February 22nd, 2005, 7:27 pm

Hi Samudra-Glad to hear how you are doing on the journey, hadn't heard from you lately on the topic. Yes, the Bernstein intros are truly first rate. I can't recommend them more highly. Great stuff!In terms of modern classical composers, you know Phillip Glass is really something special and his collaboration with Ravi Shankar "Passages" is a classic, a masterpiece. Check it out!It's at:http://tinyurl.com/6jqa6Sure, if you want to study Latin dance, it really all starts with the island in my book. ENA (Escuela Nacional de Artes) is definitely the place to go in Havana to study dance or music (A national arts university, based on the extremely disciplined Russian conservatory tradition of study) I've been to the pearl of the Antilles quite a few times and to Havana 3 or 4 times (but generally I head straight for the beloved hills of Oriente).But remember, in Cuba they don't dance on the one beat! You hold everything and move on the two instead.Some Riquenos will try to tell you that the Cubans move on the one just like they do, but that just isn't true, no way.Also, you can really improve your dancing there because all Cuban children (in the countryside at least) are taught to do all their steps on a one-foot square bandanna, to prepare them for the crowded dance flooors.Matthew
Last edited by mdubuque on February 21st, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdubuque
Topic Author

February 22nd, 2005, 10:20 pm

Exotiq, I'm glad you share my love of Puccini! He's just incredible, yes?Think of it. To invent a GENRE. That's what he did. He INVENTED opera and wrote some of the greatest ones.Reminds me a bit of Chomsky. He INVENTED transformational grammars, the application of tree structures (deep structure and surface structure) to human language.And now most universities have entire departments devoted to what he first started in the 1950s with Syntactic Structures.Same with Puccini!Also, I have actually heard just a smattering of classical singing from India lately as well and I'm starting to really warm up to it...took me a while though....Matthew

samudra

February 28th, 2005, 3:04 pm

Mathew,I must thank you from the bottom of my heart for introducing me to a treasure tove of infinite joy. I am just a 2 week old newborn sipping the intoxicating brew of western classical andboy o boy I am going to be a complete drunkard in no time.This wouldnt have come at a better time. With my knee injury my sports days are almost over.I can spend all my time on the incredible world of music and there is no risk of injury at all.My guru please introduce me to some great South and Central American composers. As you know I love these part of the world for dancing is there passion. I would love to get taste of this funfiled and highspirited region of the world who have truly learned the art of living.

gjlipman

February 28th, 2005, 3:32 pm

"I can spend all my time on the incredible world of music and there is no risk of injury at all."This isn't quite true, as anyone who has ever seen me walking down the footpath or crossing the road, entranced by some great work and oblivious to everything else!A few year's ago I read "A life in Music" by Daniel Barenboim. Some people refuse to read it, because of the whole Barenboim/Du Pre situation, but I loved it, and found it gave me a much greater appreciation of some of the great works and characters of western classical music and opera.

mdubuque
Topic Author

February 28th, 2005, 5:26 pm

Samudra, thank you so much for the most kind words. I will do my utmost to come close to what they signify.I'm glad you picked up the Bernstein materials. That is really a remarkable introduction to Western classical music. A master stroke to help us enter into a vast realm of what is Western classical music!When you speak of music from the Americas (south and central) were you referring to classical or popular music?Thanks so much again,Matthew

samudra

February 28th, 2005, 5:52 pm

Mathew,You can get both. Or maybe just put the classical stuff here. And later when you have time please start another thread on popular music.

mdubuque
Topic Author

February 28th, 2005, 6:32 pm

Hi Samudra-My knowledge of classical music from the Spanish speaking world is very limited. My forte in Latin music is popular and traditional music (for example I have over 200 cds of Cuban music).One classical piece I would definitely recommend is Concerto de Aranjuez by Rodrigo. This particular version is performed by Paco de Lucia, generally regarded as one of the greatest and most influential Spanish guitarists alive. You may have heard of him through your exposure to flamenco.It's a very lyrical and moving piece of work in my view.Here is the link:http://tinyurl.com/4fmvbMatthew
Last edited by mdubuque on February 27th, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomfr

March 3rd, 2005, 9:02 am

William Christie once said: "There is God, and right below there is Bach". Couldn't agree more, even though Handel is ranking high as well (plus Offenbach and Puccini on the opera side).For baroque music lovers, I highly recommend http://www.alpha-prod.com/ (sorry, site is in French only currently). They have the very best ancient / baroque music discs I have ever heard, far better than Harmonia Mundi or Alta Vox.

olaolson

March 3rd, 2005, 9:28 am

That is a very good quote. I personally think that most of Bach's works are masterpieces in engineering, especially the goldberg variations and "the welltempered piano".Not to underestimate his contemporaries, I would say that modern music would sound a lot more different without him.

mdubuque
Topic Author

March 3rd, 2005, 3:50 pm

Obviously the heavyweight. But I didn't know he wrote for the piano I love his double violin concerto. Second movement. Also the tocattas and fugues of course.Matthew

olaolson

March 3rd, 2005, 4:02 pm

Well of course, he wrote it for cembalo but the most famous recording is done by Gould who played the piano (I am not sure, he might have used some kind of synthesizer as well.....modern stuff):-)

Tomfr

March 3rd, 2005, 4:55 pm

Regarding Gould's recordingS, Sony made an interesting release last year: a disc with both the 1955 and the 1981 versions... Just amazing to see how both recordings, the most famous of Gould (1982 is OK, no more), are different; 1955 lasts 38'33 in total, and 1981 lasts 51'18 (related article at http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/200 ... _Gould.htm) !!In the mentioned Alpha collection, try to get hold of the harpsichord version by Argerich: even better than Gould's!!

mdubuque
Topic Author

March 3rd, 2005, 5:04 pm

Now that harpsichord recording I might be interested in. I never was able to fully appreciate Bach played on a piano; a clavichord or harpsichord just seemed much more natural for me to fully appreciate his ornamentation progressions.Have a link to it perchance?Matthew
Last edited by mdubuque on March 2nd, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexandreC

March 3rd, 2005, 8:12 pm

I never was able to fully appreciate Bach played on a piano; I played a couple of Bach's "invenzione a due voci" in the piano, some years ago.Very badly of course, but i still liked it lots.
Last edited by alexandreC on March 2nd, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.