SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

TraderJoe
Topic Author

America's Religious Right

June 29th, 2005, 12:38 am

You know, I was just reading an interesting article in this week's Economist and I think Richard Land, Jim Dobson and Mitt Romney are making alot of sense right now. No gay marriages, parental consent before teenage abortion. No brainers really.

linuxuser99

June 29th, 2005, 8:04 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeYou know, I was just reading an interesting article in this week's Economist and I think Richard Land, Jim Dobson and Mitt Romney are making alot of sense right now. No gay marriages, parental consent before teenage abortion. No brainers really.I have to agree - they would indeed seem to have no brains.

farmer

June 29th, 2005, 8:51 am

Suppose Mary is a person in Boston. She A) wants to keep on top of what her kids are doing, and B) doesn't want to call two gay guys "married." Why would somebody want to start a fight with her, and tell her what to do, in things that are her own business? This is how she raises her kids. Why would you insist she know who your favorite slam-piece is?She's clearly not stopping you from getting an abortion, or from screwing 10 guys! What kind of suicidal politician would tell her what to do, or think it is his job to supercede her decisions? Why take her decision away, and give it to yourself or a public official? What makes you better than her?Left-wing politics is all about imposing your preferences on other people.
Last edited by farmer on June 28th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

linuxuser99

June 29th, 2005, 9:08 am

Suppose she believes that her kids are witches and tortures them to drive the evil spirit out? (as happened recently in London's Evangelical Christian commnity).Who are you to tell her she cant save her children from Satan? Let the little devils starve.

farmer

June 29th, 2005, 9:12 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: linuxuser99Suppose she believes that her kids are witches and tortures them to drive the evil spirit out?What, do you think that would be immoral of her?

mdubuque

June 29th, 2005, 3:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerSuppose Mary is a person in Boston.She's clearly not stopping you from getting an abortion, or from screwing 10 guys! What kind of suicidal politician would tell her what to do, or think it is his job to supercede her decisions? Why take her decision away, and give it to yourself or a public official? What makes you better than her?Left-wing politics is all about imposing your preferences on other people.So are you claiming she is left-wing because she wants to ban sale of the morning-after pill? I don't get it. If she opposes the sale of crack cocaine to minors, does that mean she is "left-wing"?Matthew
Last edited by mdubuque on June 28th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

June 29th, 2005, 3:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueSo are you claiming she is left-wing because she wants to ban sale of the morning-after pill? I don't get it.If she opposes the sale of crack cocaine to minors, does that mean she is "left-wing"?I thought you were supposed to be a litgator, mdubuque. Is there someone out there who wants to sell crack to his own children? Would not the morning-after pill interfere with the life of one, to preserve the lifestyle of another?

mdubuque

June 29th, 2005, 3:57 pm

Two types of lawyers. Litigation and transactional. Foodfights vs. building bridges.Are you refusing to answer the question?If she wants to ban the sale of the morning after pill to minors, is she "left-wing"?By your criteria, she is.Matthew

farmer

June 29th, 2005, 4:10 pm

It's not clear to me the reason you choose to focus on minors. In general, right-wing policies involving minors are designed to prevent them from having their rights deprived by others. That is the whole purpose of empowering parents to protect them from dealing directly, and entering into contracts, with other adults.

farmer

June 29th, 2005, 4:14 pm

I wonder what they would say about the parent of a child, who limped into a clinic all by himself with two torn knee ligaments?

mdubuque

June 29th, 2005, 4:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerLeft-wing politics is all about imposing your preferences on other people.Farmer-Did you not say the above?OK, let's stipulate that you did.Now if your "Mary" wants to ban the sale of the morning-after pill, explain to me how she is not "left-wing" under your definition.Or do you refuse to answer the question?Matthew

farmer

June 29th, 2005, 4:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueNow if your "Mary" wants to ban the sale of the morning-after pill, explain to me how she is not "left-wing" under your definition.It's pretty clear that nobody has a "preference" for the morning-after pill. Otherwise, they would eat it every day. People only use it when they expect to deny someone else the opportunity to live. In other words, it interferes with someone else's preference, and in a situation where they are morally and, often, legally obligated to pursue their preference.I could also have a "preference" for eating human flesh, or for having slave girls dance. But if the community develops a moral code which prohibits this, then I will have to start my own community.Left-wing people wish to deny the community the opportunity to develop these morals norms, and to instead impose their own views, usually through the courts.There have been laws restricting abortion, created by elected legislators, or otherwise reflecting the desires of the community. Rather than putting an initiative to repeal them on the ballot, left-wing people leave it up to five judges.Interference is the name of the game for left-wing people, whether in preventing the natural accumulation of wealth, the natural evolution of morals, or the natural chemical reactions which take place on the surface of a planet.Problem is, they go beyond their own proper domain, and need to change the domain specifically to impose their preferences. Specifically, they wish to expand their domain, and contract the domain of others.

mdubuque

June 29th, 2005, 4:47 pm

Mary's view is a minority view. The majority prefer to allow sale of the morning after pill.Therefore, under your analysis, she is still left wing, because she is attempting to impose her views on the majority.Matthew

farmer

June 29th, 2005, 4:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueThe majority prefer to allow sale of the morning after pill.Where on Earth did you come up with that? We don't have any mechanism in the US, at the federal or state level, for people to regulate commerce in controlled substances by popular vote. And no candidate for election or appointment has EVER campaigned on a morning-after-pill platform.

Marsden

June 29th, 2005, 4:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerI could also have a "preference" for eating human flesh, or for having slave girls dance. But if the community develops a moral code which prohibits this, then I will have to start my own community.What if I have a preference for living on your property?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On