SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer

America's Religious Right

June 29th, 2005, 5:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MarsdenWhat if I have a preference for living on your property?I think that would be good for you, Marsden. How long could you live my life without coming to agree with my outlook?

Marsden

June 29th, 2005, 5:03 pm

As long as my sanity held out.

mdubuque

June 29th, 2005, 5:07 pm

Farmer-I feel my current tax rate is necessary to fight al-Qaeda and defend our nation.If you try to reduce my tax rate by telephoning your Congressional representative, are you left-wing for trying to impose your preferences viz a viz my tax rate?Or do you have no preferences with respect to the tax rate of others?Matthew

farmer

June 29th, 2005, 5:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueI feel my current tax rate is necessary to fight al-Qaeda and defend our nation.Wouldn't a simple letter or public schedule, telling you how much they needed, be more convenient? As low as it went, you could still mail in any extra you deemed necessary. There's been a space for such a "gift" right on your tax return. I take it you have used it? Or has the amount always been "just right."QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueIf you try to reduce my tax rate by telephoning your Congressional representative, are you left-wing for trying to impose your preferences viz a viz my tax rate?Certainly not. I will tell him to tax you as much as you like, and just charge me 15%. I will also tell him, if he asks, that I would like to live in a different country from you, perhaps one made up of the "red states."QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueOr do you have no preferences with respect to the tax rate of others?I have values, and therefore preferences. But I would never seek or hope to impose them, except in some conceivable case of self-defense. I am not, however, reluctant to brag about some of my preferences for the benefit of those who might imitate me.

mdubuque

June 29th, 2005, 5:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueI have values, and therefore preferences. But I would never seek or hope to impose them, except in some conceivable case of self-defense. I am not, however, reluctant to brag about some of my preferences for the benefit of those who might imitate me.So you oppose every law that does not directly apply to your personal and physical self-defense?Matthew

farmer

June 29th, 2005, 5:22 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueSo you oppose every law that does not directly apply to your personal and physical self-defense?I'm not going to go through a list of every law, and decide whether I think "drunk driving" should be .09 or .1 percent blood alocohol, or something else. I gave some serious thought to the law a while back, and concluded it is very tragic and not very elegant.This is among the reasons why it is never put to an individual to brainstorm a complete and self-stabilizing system of laws. No small set of basic rules can be applied to discover a larger set of laws.

farmer

June 29th, 2005, 5:45 pm

I lack infinite foresight just as much as I lack the capacity to know or be aware of "every" law.But it would be much safer, thought not safe, to say that I "oppose every NEW law that does not directly apply to my personal and physical self-defense."

mdubuque

June 29th, 2005, 5:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerBut it would be much safer, thought not safe, to say that I "oppose every NEW law that does not directly apply to my personal and physical self-defense."This sounds so vague and mushy and touchy-feely, farmer.You therefore oppose any new laws covering identity theft, when no physical harm results?Matthew
Last edited by mdubuque on June 28th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattcushman

June 29th, 2005, 6:00 pm

farmer,Your answers are clearly disingenuous. You claim parents have to be informed of a minor's abortion to preserve the rights of the parents (the right of the parents to preserve the rights of the minor child... it's all for the child's sake, of course). You are also against the morning after pill because it interferes with the life of one to preserve the lifestyle of another.Admit it, you are anti-abortion and leave it at that. It's OK, really. Maybe some college professors will look down at you, but it's OK, you don't know them anyway. You seem to suffer from some compulsion to spew convolved justifications for your beliefs. Tell me, is it insecurity?

farmer

June 29th, 2005, 6:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueThis sounds so vague and mushy and touchy-feely, farmer.Do you want Ralph Nader? There ought to be a law against car companies selling cars that do this, this, or that! There ought to be a law against breastfeeding in public! We need laws against cellphones in restaurants! Airlines should be prosecuted for charging extra for oversize carry-ons! People shouldn't be allowed to eaty fatty food! It should be illegal to charge a $2 fee at an ATM. It ought to be illegal for life to be less than perfect!

farmer

June 29th, 2005, 6:09 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mattcushmanYou seem to suffer from some compulsion to spew convolved justifications for your beliefs. Tell me, is it insecurity?It's mdubuque. He asked me the same question three times, like he really cared and didn't understand my answer. Are you fucking retarded? Do you think I hope for people to be like that? I thought I was pretty clear in the first response. Was mdubuque asking for something else?QuoteOriginally posted by: mattcushmanYour answers... You claim... You are also against... Admit it... Tell me...I don't get it. Are you, as well, asking me to post my thoughts, or not?
Last edited by farmer on June 28th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdubuque

June 29th, 2005, 6:10 pm

I'm just asking for intelligibility, Farmer.You therefore oppose all new laws concerning identity theft which do not deal directly with physical harm?Or do you refuse to answer the question?Matthew

farmer

June 29th, 2005, 6:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueYou therefore oppose all new laws concerning identity theft which do not deal directly with physical harm? Or do you refuse to answer the question?I would never oppose something unfamiliar, or that I couldn't classify as being similar to something else I oppose, off the top of my head, unless there was some huge cost associated with delay.But off the top of my head, I don't see why identity theft isn't handled by existing laws against theft, fraud, forgery, criminal impersonation, eavesdropping, or whatever.Identity theft has been around longer, even, than there have been credit cards. But I can't imagine what your point is, that laws should be designed by people in chat rooms with a time limit?I would certainly refuse to oppose, or to sign onto, something unfamiliar. And I would probably refuse to vote on a ballot which I had not read. As a judge, I would not make a judgment without hearing arguments.
Last edited by farmer on June 28th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdubuque

June 29th, 2005, 6:20 pm

So you support all current laws against money laundering even though they almost never involve physical harm?That seems so contradictory. First you oppose all laws which don't involve "self-defense" or physical harm.Then you backtrack and say you only oppose that for NEW laws, as if somehow all the laws we have now are somehow justified.It's all very vague and mushy and touchy-feely, farmer.Matthew

mattcushman

June 29th, 2005, 6:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: mattcushmanYou seem to suffer from some compulsion to spew convolved justifications for your beliefs. Tell me, is it insecurity?It's mdubuque. He asked me the same question three times, like he really cared and didn't understand my answer. Are you fucking retarded? Do you think I hope for people to be like that? I thought I was pretty clear in the first response. Was mdubuque asking for something else?QuoteOriginally posted by: mattcushmanYour answers... You claim... You are also against... Admit it... Tell me...I don't get it. Are you, as well, asking me to post my thoughts, or not?Wrong. If (could) read my post, you'd see that "Your answers... You claim... You are also against... Admit it... " are in the context of summarizing your conflicting justifications for various anti-abortion views you've espoused, not questions. The "Tell me" I'll confess was a question, albeit rhetorical. So the answer is, no I'm not asking for your thoughts. The demand for them is very low, but the supply is enormous (and growing). Being an economic expert, you can infer their market price.I was merely offering advice, which you may take or leave... at least be intellectually honest with yourself. If you are anti-abortion, fine, just don't come up with cockamamie justifications.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On