SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

mikebell
Topic Author

Number of lurkers in OffTopic is quite astounding...

June 30th, 2005, 8:18 pm

I capped this yesterday during lunch and forgot about it until now.Unless this is some kind of a bug, the numbers raise quite a few questions...

farmer

June 30th, 2005, 8:30 pm

It's just one person with a weird browser, or an anonymous proxy, or something. He might be logging on from a weird network like at a University dorm.

fars1d3s

July 1st, 2005, 1:32 am

The reason it's "astounding" as you say, is because this section has so many interesting and compelling topics. It's almost addictive, because it draws out all the curiosity in you. There are some very good arguments and discussions on here. People want to find out what the next topic is, and contribute to it.

mattcushman

July 1st, 2005, 9:26 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: fars1d3sThe reason it's "astounding" as you say, is because this section has so many interesting and compelling topics. It's almost addictive, because it draws out all the curiosity in you. There are some very good arguments and discussions on here. People want to find out what the next topic is, and contribute to it.Huh? I think it's more like driving by a car accident.

NamelessWonder

July 1st, 2005, 6:09 pm

Too right mate!People probably come here for 3 reasons:1. Intellectual masturbation2. Trolling3. AmusementI fall strictly in all three categories.

ppauper

July 2nd, 2005, 1:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerIt's just one person with a weird browser, or an anonymous proxy, or something. He might be logging on from a weird network like at a University dorm.or it's the gang over at NP watching us

JamesH83

July 4th, 2005, 5:45 pm

nah come on pretty much everyone at NP has double aliases, one for each site.bit stupid really....what are they frightened of?

nyabinghi

July 4th, 2005, 6:02 pm

What is NP?

farmer

July 4th, 2005, 6:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: nyabinghiWhat is NP?It's a site where a lot of the students go to trade Dead bootlegs, plan road trips, show off pictures of their new bong, concert t-shirt, whatever - you'd like it. Search "Bob Marley bong concert ticket" on Google and you should get a link...

nyabinghi

July 4th, 2005, 7:57 pm

sounds like the place to be!!! More people for road-trips in my mini-bus!What's the url?I tried the google search you recommended... but I think you might have made a mistake.

NamelessWonder

July 4th, 2005, 9:18 pm

I think farmer might be misguiding you for various reasons. And there might be a formal/informal ban on mentioning the name...... Check wilmott archives and you will get the idea.

nyabinghi

July 4th, 2005, 9:48 pm

you mean to say that farmer was pulling my leg? Never! Farmer would never do such a thing!formal/informal ban? What the? I thought this was just a quant finance forum... What could you POSSIBLY get so heated about that you can't mention another forum's name?You'll have to forgive me... I'm relatively new to the whole forums world... I didn't realize competition was so serious.
Last edited by nyabinghi on July 3rd, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On