SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

DevonFangs

UK going to the dogs

February 3rd, 2015, 7:46 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaUniversity of Shuffledthat seems a straightforward questionYes, it's pathetic (the students and the uni giving them diplomas). No formal education is necessary to answer that question without problems. Basic high school maths suffices.I would only object to using "per person" in the task description - I think it's indeed incorrect, but certainly it shouldn't prevent them from solving it.my high school maths final was more difficult?

Cuchulainn

UK going to the dogs

February 3rd, 2015, 9:34 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaUniversity of Shuffledthat seems a straightforward questionYes, it's pathetic (the students and the uni giving them diplomas). No formal education is necessary to answer that question without problems. Basic high school maths suffices.I would only object to using "per person" in the task description - I think it's indeed incorrect, but certainly it shouldn't prevent them from solving it.my high school maths final was more difficult?Remember, it's economics
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

ppauper

UK going to the dogs

February 3rd, 2015, 4:02 pm

halal

katastrofa

UK going to the dogs

February 3rd, 2015, 4:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaUniversity of Shuffledthat seems a straightforward questionYes, it's pathetic (the students and the uni giving them diplomas). No formal education is necessary to answer that question without problems. Basic high school maths suffices.I would only object to using "per person" in the task description - I think it's indeed incorrect, but certainly it shouldn't prevent them from solving it.my high school maths final was more difficult?Remember, it's economicsFrom my (not very wide) experience, "proper" economics is full of this type of basic calculations. No wonder they hired a physicist to do them...

tagoma

UK going to the dogs

February 3rd, 2015, 6:51 pm

'3-parent babies' lawThat is a lot of fun ...

daveangel

UK going to the dogs

February 3rd, 2015, 7:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagoma'3-parent babies' lawThat is a lot of fun ...you wouldn't describe it as fun if you were a parent of a child with mitochondrial disease. but I am sure you didnt mean to say it was fun.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

daveangel

UK going to the dogs

February 5th, 2015, 12:57 pm

Paddington dog
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

ExSan

UK going to the dogs

February 9th, 2015, 11:02 am

why ?Half of UK population 'will get cancer in lifetime'also Bill Maher made a coment last week.

ppauper

UK going to the dogs

February 9th, 2015, 11:28 am

Old people auctioned off to care homes on the internet: Anger over 'cattle markets for grannies' as councils accept lowest bids to save cash

Traden4Alpha

UK going to the dogs

February 9th, 2015, 12:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ExSanwhy ?Half of UK population 'will get cancer in lifetime'also Bill Maher made a coment last week.People are living to older ages, not dying form accidents, smoking, etc. so they have to die of something.

Traden4Alpha

UK going to the dogs

February 9th, 2015, 12:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperOld people auctioned off to care homes on the internet: Anger over 'cattle markets for grannies' as councils accept lowest bids to save cash Free markets?

ppauper

UK going to the dogs

February 9th, 2015, 2:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperOld people auctioned off to care homes on the internet: Anger over 'cattle markets for grannies' as councils accept lowest bids to save cash Free markets?I personally am opposed to government funding such things, but if they do, should not people have some say in where they end up ?If one care home is a 5 minute drive from the senior's relatives and another, cheaper, care home is an hour away, is it really in the senior's best interests to be put in the cheaper home which would mean that their relatives are less likely to visit them ?government funding these things limits choice, because you've taken peoples' money from them in the form of tax dollars so they cannot afford to go outside the system

ppauper

UK going to the dogs

February 9th, 2015, 2:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ExSanwhy ?Half of UK population 'will get cancer in lifetime'also Bill Maher made a coment last week.People are living to older ages, not dying form accidents, smoking, etc. so they have to die of something.?isn't smoking = cancer

Traden4Alpha

UK going to the dogs

February 9th, 2015, 2:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ExSanwhy ?Half of UK population 'will get cancer in lifetime'also Bill Maher made a coment last week.People are living to older ages, not dying form accidents, smoking, etc. so they have to die of something.?isn't smoking = cancerAlthough smoking does cause some cancers, U.S. data suggests that two thirds of smoking-induced deaths are other causes (mostly cardiovascular & respiratory diseases).Smokers, who usually die 10 years earlier than non-smokers, don't live long enough to get many of the types of cancers that show up in older people (e.g., the average age for diagnosis of colon cancer is 73, about a decade after the puffers have pushed off).

ppauper

UK going to the dogs

February 12th, 2015, 10:59 am

Number of ?Muslim? children in Britain doubles in a decade
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On