SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: UK going to the dogs

January 25th, 2019, 11:01 pm

Chloe Delevingne had a smear test live on the Victoria Derbyshire programme, to help raise awareness.
The NHS advises women between the ages of 25-49 to have a cervical smear test every three years, but many avoid doing so because of fear or embarrassment.
The test checks the health of cells in the cervix. Detecting abnormal cells early, and having appropriate treatment, can help prevent cervical cancer.
Women aged 50-64 are advised to have the test every five years.
I'm afraid I will never understand English women.

ppauper

January 26th, 2019, 10:50 am

Orkney rated Britain's best place to live in terms of quality of life
I'm guessing there's no traffic
Any wilmotters tempted to relocate?

katastrofa

January 26th, 2019, 10:59 am

Misa.

Paul

January 26th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Orkney rated Britain's best place to live in terms of quality of life
I'm guessing there's no traffic
Any wilmotters tempted to relocate?
It’s a different place every time they run these surveys. A few years ago the best place was the very postcode I grew up in. That totally destroyed my street cred.

ISayMoo

January 27th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Seems it's a bit random at postcode level.

Paul

January 27th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Seems it's a bit random at postcode level.
The smaller the region the more frequently they can run a new story!

ISayMoo

January 27th, 2019, 4:49 pm

"The worst drivers in Britain can be found in Sandringham, Norfolk."

ppauper

February 5th, 2019, 7:27 am

ppauper

February 5th, 2019, 1:02 pm

A hedge fund billionaire has given Cambridge £100m — one of the biggest UK university donations ever
The billionaire founder of hedge fund Winton Capital has gifted £100m to the University of Cambridge.
The university announced the donation on Tuesday and said it is the “biggest single gift made to a university in the UK by a British philanthropist.”
The donation has come from the the David and Claudia Harding Foundation, which is the philanthropic foundation founded by hedge fund pioneer David Harding and his wife.
(snip)
£79m of the donation will go towards creating the Harding Distinguished Postgraduate Scholars Programme, which will be a fully funded scholarships for 100 PhD students. Of this, £25m will be earmarked for St Catherine’s College, Cambridge, where David Harding studied natural sciences in the early 1980s.

rmax

February 5th, 2019, 1:17 pm

A hedge fund billionaire has given Cambridge £100m — one of the biggest UK university donations ever
The billionaire founder of hedge fund Winton Capital has gifted £100m to the University of Cambridge.
The university announced the donation on Tuesday and said it is the “biggest single gift made to a university in the UK by a British philanthropist.”
The donation has come from the the David and Claudia Harding Foundation, which is the philanthropic foundation founded by hedge fund pioneer David Harding and his wife.
(snip)
£79m of the donation will go towards creating the Harding Distinguished Postgraduate Scholars Programme, which will be a fully funded scholarships for 100 PhD students. Of this, £25m will be earmarked for St Catherine’s College, Cambridge, where David Harding studied natural sciences in the early 1980s.
How to get a building named after them...or even a college...

Paul

February 5th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Many years ago David Harding and his two then partners Michael Adam and Martin Lueck (as AHL) all visited my office at Imperial because they had a project concerning basket-option valuation. Which led on to quasi random numbers for high dimensions. But the point is they came into my office, not the other way around. Martin Lueck went on to found Aspect Capital. Michael Adam is now "Mike Marlin," rock star. And David Harding is really, really rich. All nice chaps. I don't think I've met a billionaire I didn't like.

And it's "Catharine's"

ppauper

February 5th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Paul of course went to St Catherine's College, Oxford. but as he says, the Cambridge college is St Catharine's. The typo was Yahoo's, in the quoted text.

It seems to be a very generous gift, the lion's share of which is going to graduate scholarships. I remember at least one person has posted here that they've been offered a place at Cambridge but no money.

Paul

February 5th, 2019, 2:53 pm

St Catherine's was for lower-class oiks. Brilliant, bordering on genius, oiks, but still undeniably oiks.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On