Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Traden4Alpha

Re: environmental wackos vs the plastic bag

January 8th, 2018, 3:46 pm

The problem with plastic waste is not only the cost of disposing it on the landfills, but that a lot of it never ends up in a landfill but is discarded randomly and finds its way to the rivers, forests and other areas where it poses a hazard to wildlife.
95% of drinking water in USA is contaminated with microplastics.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... dy-reveals

The average number of fibres found in each 500ml sample ranged from 4.8 in the US to 1.9 in Europe.
That sounds like people in the US wash their clothes more often than people in the EU do.

ISayMoo

January 8th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Bullshit.

Traden4Alpha

January 8th, 2018, 8:36 pm

Well, the entire Guardian article seems like scare-mongering bullshit. I even wonder if their sampling process was responsible for the fibers. The article notes that these fibers are also airborne, too. If the samples are collected in open air, fibers would like fall into the sample. Worse, if the sample container is plastic, it wouldn't take much to accidentally create a static charge that attracts these fibers. The US vs. EU results might say more about humidity at the time of collection.

And none of this microplastics issue if it even is an issue will abated by a reduction in PAPER coffee cups.

Cuchulainn

January 8th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Bullshit.
Not if it's cleaned often enough.
T4A likes the odd off-the-cuff remark.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 8th, 2018, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

January 8th, 2018, 8:42 pm

The problem with plastic waste is not only the cost of disposing it on the landfills, but that a lot of it never ends up in a landfill but is discarded randomly and finds its way to the rivers, forests and other areas where it poses a hazard to wildlife.

The average number of fibres found in each 500ml sample ranged from 4.8 in the US to 1.9 in Europe.
That sounds like people in the US wash their clothes more often than people in the EU do.
People in USA wear once and throw away, in general..Where have all the iphones gone? Africa?
Consumerism++

tags

January 8th, 2018, 8:57 pm

People in USA wear once and throw away, in general..Where have all the iphones gone? Africa?
Consumerism++
I remember the laundry service at Hotel Granduca (Houston, TX) charges $9 for a pair of socks.

Cuchulainn

January 8th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Consumerism++
I remember the laundry service at Hotel Granduca (Houston, TX) charges $9 for a pair of socks.
Hand-wash?

tags

January 8th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Consumerism++
Hand-wash?
Secession?

Alan

January 8th, 2018, 9:11 pm

California outlawed (single-use) plastic bags about a year ago. I don't know about the environmental improvement, but I have found it a healthy change. Since I now carry a bag to the grocery store, I generally never buy more than 1 bag worth of stuff. I am thinking of going on Oprah to promote the 'one bag of stuff' diet.

Paul

January 8th, 2018, 9:18 pm

I think I’ve said before that I never take old bags with me and always get the 10p plastic bags instead of the 5p ones. It’s the cheapest way of showing how rich and successful I am. (That I am also remarkably good looking is self evident.)

Alan

January 8th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Haha!  At the grocery stores here, they have express lines. But I think we need a VIP line!

Traden4Alpha

January 8th, 2018, 9:29 pm

California outlawed grocery plastic bags about a year ago. I don't know about the environmental improvement, but I have found it a healthy change. Since I now carry a bag to the grocery store, I generally never buy more than 1 bag worth of stuff. I am thinking of going on Oprah to promote the 'one bag of stuff' diet.
LOL! That's what we do. It also reduces food waste.

(P.S. I hope you walk to the store because even one extra car trip to the grocery store probably undoes all the carbon footprint savings of eliminating several month's worth of plastic bags.)

Alan

January 8th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Yeah, it's just across the street.

Cuchulainn

January 8th, 2018, 9:44 pm

The Republic of Ireland was the first to get rid of the plastic bag in  2002. It was the 1st to ban smoking in pubs, introduce same-sex marriage. 

Plastics is sooh 60s.

Cuchulainn

January 9th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Or there is just more to wash.