SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Re: America - Home of Bugs Bunny

September 14th, 2016, 6:20 am

5,300 Wells Fargo employees fired over 2 million phony accounts

it looks like they signed existing customers up for fee-bearing accounts without their knowledge, much less permission, to generate fee income and meet targets, get bonuses, etc
The bank is even backed by America's most beloved investor, Warren Buffett. The legendary billionaire owns $100 million of Wells Fargo (WFC) stock in his personal account, according to FactSet. His firm Berkshire Hathaway (BRKA) is the bank's biggest shareholder, holding nearly 10% of the stock.

Buffett Loses $1.4 Billion as Wells Fargo Tumbles on Scandal

Cuchulainn

September 14th, 2016, 6:40 am

Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

ppauper

September 14th, 2016, 7:12 am

so that's a vote against the Matrix from Cuch

Paul

September 14th, 2016, 7:16 am

I agree that there's a high probability of this. No idea how to estimate that probability though. There are far more interesting questions about this than whether it's true or not. Eg did I choose my reality (assuming cogito ergo sum still applies) or was it chosen for me? Does the concept of choice exist in the real world? Or exist, real, world, the,...

This is by far the most likely way for the concept of God to exist. I have long wanted to start a religion based on this. Anyone want to join me?!

P

Traden4Alpha

September 14th, 2016, 12:47 pm

I agree that there's a high probability of this. No idea how to estimate that probability though. There are far more interesting questions about this than whether it's true or not. Eg did I choose my reality (assuming cogito ergo sum still applies) or was it chosen for me? Does the concept of choice exist in the real world? Or exist, real, world, the,...

This is by far the most likely way for the concept of God to exist. I have long wanted to start a religion based on this. Anyone want to join me?!

P
Choice is still possible for the inhabitants of a simulated universe to the extent that the simulation builders don't have a second, bigger sim to work out all the alternative trajectories which is then used to control the first sim (and you). If the builders are just as clueless about what happens next (the reason they built the sim in the first place?!?!), then they are hardly in control of the sim and the actions of those within it. And if we inhabit the second sim, then choice is still possible in a simulated-simulated universe to the extent that the simulation-simulation builders don't have a third, even bigger sim to work out all the alternative trajectories which is then used to control the second and first sims. Of course, we don't know if the simulation builders themselves aren't living in a sim.

The presumption of a builder might be flawed, too. There may be no "creators" as such -- perhaps inanimate low-level phenomena naturally lead to simulation/Matrix-like meta structures in any physical universe of sufficient scale, duration, and prerequisite initial conditions.

P.S. Does this religion include St. Turing? That might be cool. Does this religion insist on wearing funny hats and dietary restrictions? That would suck!

trackstar
Topic Author

September 14th, 2016, 12:54 pm

P
We would need to see (and read!) the Book of Paul (or Paul-ette, if you are taking a gender-balanced view) before making a decision.
If you have a stimulating blend of math, science, probability and a well formulated philosophy on the MicroCosmos and MacroCosmos, then maybe.
A sense of morality based on precepts of Buddhism would be a plus, unless you choose to ignore that area of "religion" altogether.

Traden4Alpha

September 14th, 2016, 1:06 pm

P.P.S. I'm assuming the communion wafers would be silicon...

trackstar
Topic Author

September 14th, 2016, 1:11 pm

Possible "Houses of Worship" - note the classical and modern architectural variants:

Paul

September 14th, 2016, 1:27 pm

I haven't thought much beyond free love and free martinis. First thing is we need a name...

P

trackstar
Topic Author

September 14th, 2016, 1:38 pm

I haven't thought much beyond free love and free martinis. First thing is we need a name...

P
LOL.  And throw Schopenhauer, Zen, and years of self discipline away?
Hmmm. 
Gin or vodka martinis?

fulmerspot

September 14th, 2016, 3:06 pm

Possible "Houses of Worship" - note the classical and modern architectural variants:

God in the cloud!

Paul

September 14th, 2016, 4:40 pm

Gin.

P

trackstar
Topic Author

September 14th, 2016, 5:42 pm

Gin.

P
I'll probably pass in that case, but this information could help with the name of your new religion/cult.
I'd pick Sapphirism.  (Or just pick your favorite gin and develop around that.)

outrun

September 15th, 2016, 7:03 am

I agree that there's a high probability of this. No idea how to estimate that probability though. 
I'm no longer worried about them being in control of risk with this demonstration of high precision probability modeling skills
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On