Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

frenchX
Topic Author

Facebook

February 6th, 2011, 7:45 pm

So now Facebook's value is 25 billions (quite big I would say ). Since opening a Facebook account is free how the hell can they generate such a money ? Obviously there is the advertising and probably selling poll information to marketing companies but the nummber is still incredibly high.This company is now 8 years old, do you think that I will stay at the top in the long term (let says 20 years) ? Or will the fashion turn off ?Mark Zuckerberg said that Facebook won't enter in the public market before 2012 at the earliest.

Traden4Alpha

Facebook

February 6th, 2011, 7:53 pm

How they make money:1. Ads, ads, ads!2. Selling your data to the highest bidder (and the second-highest bidder and the third-highest bidder and ...)3. Seigniorage: Facebook has it's own currency and they only charge a mere 30% to app developers to use it.Facebook will be a money machine until young people see that it's full of boring old people and the young flock to the next cool thing.

quantmeh

Facebook

February 6th, 2011, 7:54 pm

perhaps, they're similar to GOOG: ad revenue's i didn't understand how GOOG makes money until recently when i saw how multi-million contract landed on a firm. the client found their paid ad in Google.another example: when i search one firm's name in Google, in paid ad section their competitor's name shows up. why? because the competitor paid GOOG for the keyword. in both cases GOOG makes money, and clients are getting good returns on ad investments.

tags

Facebook

February 6th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Mark Zuckerberg has made $Bn with a contact list. well done.for my part, i'm not on facebook. nor pro nor con. and i feel fine.
Last edited by tags on February 5th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frenchX
Topic Author

Facebook

February 7th, 2011, 7:03 am

Is it in not illegal in US to sell personal datas to private firms ?Because in France it is .

CrashedMint

Facebook

February 7th, 2011, 12:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXIs it in not illegal in US to sell personal datas to private firms ?Because in France it is .even if you expressly opt-in?

Traden4Alpha

Facebook

February 7th, 2011, 1:18 pm

First, it's not illegal to sell personal data if the person agrees to let their data be sold. So be careful when clicking the "I agree to these terms" button on U.S. websites. The one exception is health data which is governed by a nasty bit of regulation so heavy-handed that actually impedes doctors from texting each other to coordinate care.Second, some data is sold on an anonymized basis by aggregating the data or obscuring any personal identifiers (e.g., a company such as Facebook might tell Starbucks the % of people who mention going to coffee shops and having dogs without revealing which people go to coffee shops and have dogs. Or company like Facebook might tell Starbucks that random ID 73268767846 drinks coffee, has a dog, and lives in New York City but not give enough information to link ID 73268767846 to a name because thousands of people drink coffee, have a dog, and live in New York City. Anonymized data is NOT leak-free where the aggregates become so narrowly defined that they may only include a few people or where anonymized records can be cross-referenced to public records to pinpoint individuals.

Polter

Facebook

April 5th, 2012, 8:24 pm

Polter

Facebook

May 1st, 2012, 12:47 am

Does the First Amendment Cover the Right to "Like" Something on Facebook?QuoteThe answer to that question is no, at least according to the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virgina, which has ruled that Facebook "likes" do not count as constitutionally protected forms of speech.
Last edited by Polter on April 30th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fermion

Facebook

May 1st, 2012, 1:45 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PolterDoes the First Amendment Cover the Right to "Like" Something on Facebook?QuoteThe answer to that question is no, at least according to the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virgina, which has ruled that Facebook "likes" do not count as constitutionally protected forms of speech.Of course not -- clicking a button involves no exchange of money and no corporation pretending to be a person.

hayes

Facebook

May 1st, 2012, 6:42 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: FermionQuoteOriginally posted by: PolterDoes the First Amendment Cover the Right to "Like" Something on Facebook?QuoteThe answer to that question is no, at least according to the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virgina, which has ruled that Facebook "likes" do not count as constitutionally protected forms of speech.Of course not -- clicking a button involves no exchange of money and no corporation pretending to be a person.

frenchX
Topic Author

Facebook

May 18th, 2012, 7:03 am

So it's the day! 38$ a share max, 421.2 millions share for a PER x107 (WTF ?!) and so an implied valaution of 104.2 b$.The world is crazy ...

tags

Facebook

May 18th, 2012, 1:39 pm

QuoteTRADING HAS BEEN HALTED FOR FB:US - REASON NOT AVAILABLE

farmer

Facebook

May 18th, 2012, 1:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXThe world is crazy ...Facebook saves people money. They can wear fancy clothes and flirt without leaving the house. I am going to go put on a tuxedo from the waist up in the bathroom and make myself a new profile pic. Much cheaper than attending The Annual Black And White Ball.