SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Nonius
Topic Author

Woland, Behemoth, et al....

July 30th, 2003, 6:44 am

On vacation and finally reading "The Master and Margarita"...my only comment thus far...Behemoth=FDAX....less the vodka habit.

Aaron

July 30th, 2003, 8:33 pm

A great book, I hope you have the Mirra Ginsburg translation rather than the Burgin/O'Connor one. Ginsburg attempts to recapture the punning and surrealistic language, while Burgin/O'Connor clean things up too much. I have not seen the movie (I would like to), but I have heard the soundtrack which is interesting, although not my taste.I was very disappointed by The Heart of a Dog after reading Margarita.Moving along to similar authors who were lionized rather than supressed, be sure you read The Twelve Chairs and see the movie.
Last edited by Aaron on July 29th, 2003, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cekpet

July 30th, 2003, 8:46 pm

>A great book, I hope you have the Mirra Ginsburg translation rather than the Burgin/O'Connor one. You can get it for free here:http://www.lib.ru/BULGAKOW/master97_engl.txt

zerdna

July 30th, 2003, 8:55 pm

didn't know that "Master" was made into a movie. Bulgakov definitely never wrote anything close to that book, although i have no clue of the quality of translation. I guess Noniuses modest implication was he is Voland? At any rate, "12 chairs" is an absolutely legendary book. Many people, me included, could quote "12 chairs" and "Golden calf" from any page. Text of the book is actually a special code language with which many people could talk for hours. I don't think there is a book more important for a russian modern psyche, although I could not imagine an understandable translation. There are better book from a literary prospective, but this is a common denominator.

cekpet

July 30th, 2003, 9:14 pm

>I have not seen the movie (I would like to), but I have heard the soundtrack which is interesting, although not my taste.>I was very disappointed by The Heart of a Dog after reading Margarita.I think Master makes a gret book but not a very good script. I cannot imagine it being a watchable movieHeart of the dog, on the other hand, was a great movie. Aaron, maybe you should check it out:http://us.imdb.com/Title?0096126
Last edited by cekpet on July 29th, 2003, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slevin

July 31st, 2003, 12:08 am

QuoteI was very disappointed by The Heart of a Dog after reading Margarita.It might be a translation issue - the book is very bitter and has a whole bunch of very off humor - it might be lost in translation. Another odd thing I've heard was that Dostoevsky is very different in english - Laura Bush (Mr. President's wife) apparently is very fond of Dostoevsky - "it gives me this cozy feeling".

Omar

July 31st, 2003, 1:16 am

Quote Another odd thing I've heard was that Dostoevsky is very different in English. That's not odd at all -- I have no idea how Russian literature can ever be captured in English. Another *really* odd thing that I've heard is that Scott Moncrief's translation of Proust's "In search of lost time" is better literature than the original in French.

Nonius
Topic Author

July 31st, 2003, 6:07 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnadidn't know that "Master" was made into a movie. Bulgakov definitely never wrote anything close to that book, although i have no clue of the quality of translation. I guess Noniuses modest implication was he is Voland? At any rate, "12 chairs" is an absolutely legendary book. Many people, me included, could quote "12 chairs" and "Golden calf" from any page. Text of the book is actually a special code language with which many people could talk for hours. I don't think there is a book more important for a russian modern psyche, although I could not imagine an understandable translation. There are better book from a literary prospective, but this is a common denominator.err, well, yes Zerdna, I was sort of alluding to the obvious comparison of me with Woland...unfortunately, my woman disagrees...she sees me more of a Sharikov type of character.....to answer Aaron, I've the Ginsburg translation.

Aaron

July 31st, 2003, 2:04 pm

I didn't know that Heart of the Dog had been made into a movie. Does anyone know if it is available with English subtitles? I thought the book could make a good short story by a different writer, one not so tiresome. Good short stories usually make better movies than good novels do, so in the hands of the right screenwriter, Heart of the Dog could be very good.slevin may be correct that my dislike of the book is due to language. I couldn't tell if it was a one-joke comment on the human condition or a free-wheeling satiric excursion: A Modest Proposal or Gulliver's Travels. Every time it seemed to be leaning toward one, it veered off into the other. Long passages seemed calculated to annoy the reader rather than advance the plot or make points. Perhaps if I read Russian those passages would be lyrical and supply the missing piece so the book made sense.
Last edited by Aaron on July 30th, 2003, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cekpet

July 31st, 2003, 2:55 pm

>didn't know that Heart of the Dog had been made into a movie. Does anyone know if it is available with English subtitles?Sure:http://www.rbcmp3.com/store/product.asp ... &sku=24176

slevin

July 31st, 2003, 2:56 pm

it is more of a extended satire and pretty much every passage can be made into a separate little skit. Was it the Michael Glenny translation you read? personally, i think it sucks but there isn't anything better. Even the stuff that could be translated he passes by As for "12 Chairs" (as well as the Golden Calf) - i think it's untranslatable either, Mel Brooks actually made a movie out of it that has nothing to do with the original book (nor did it compare favorably with the russian version). But then again, i am sure my dislike for some german authors is based on my inability to speak german.
Last edited by slevin on July 30th, 2003, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Energetic

July 31st, 2003, 5:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: cekpet>didn't know that Heart of the Dog had been made into a movie. Does anyone know if it is available with English subtitles?Sure:http://www.rbcmp3.com/store/product.asp ... sku=24176I didn't know it either. Surprised. IMHO, this is a superb movie. I have a copy that I watch every few years."Master & Margarita" was made into a movie several times (one by A. Vajda, I believe). All were bad. Two different Moscow theaters brought it to America recently. I hated both.

zerdna

August 1st, 2003, 1:10 am

Actually, when I was a kid in before-perestroika times i saw it in Taganka theater. Maybe i didn't have a clue, but it didn't seem bad at all. Vysotsky was still alive, Smehov played Voland, many other semi-famous actors. I remember how hard it was then to get the text of "Master". I had to read a very bad copy in a single night and return it before school.

gatarek

August 1st, 2003, 12:12 pm

Last edited by gatarek on February 24th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ngoudard

August 1st, 2003, 1:07 pm

NOTE FOR FRENCHIEShave not read the English translation(s) but there is a great French one from Claude Ligny, with rich and numerous explanatory footnotes which considerably helped the reading, at 'collection Pocket'I am under the impression that Russian is better translated in French than in English but this is totally partial ah ah [storm is coming]
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On