SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

trackstar

Re: norway

January 11th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Beautiful wilderness pictures! My sister and I will be going up to central/northern New Hampshire soon - starting at Jackson and Bretton Woods  and then maybe even further, depending on the weather, snow conditions, and if it is crowded or not.

Good array of cross-country and downhill locations around the White Mountains.

Take care, stay warm (!), and happy new year!  

tagoma

January 11th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Been skiing since early morning! Wonderful experience to slide through the silent winter fores, with no humans around! Around the noon the Charlottenlund got a bit crowdy.
I acquaintaned a Columbian chica who likes travelling to winter destinations. White powder!
It is Colombia. BTW statistics/reports generally show Colombia ranks low when it comes to illicit drug use, e.g. UNODC's World Drug Report.

trackstar

January 11th, 2020, 1:53 pm

If I get a Go Pro helmet camera, I will make a little ski movie and this will be the soundtrack.

50 Words for Snow - Kate Bush

Cuchulainn

January 11th, 2020, 2:10 pm

If I get a Go Pro helmet camera, I will make a little ski movie and this will be the soundtrack.

is he speaking Finnish?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjOvmAJ6na0
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

trackstar

January 11th, 2020, 2:17 pm

is he speaking Finnish?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjOvmAJ6na0
They use several languages, but also being creative, she made up words and phrases too.

"In an interview with the American radio station KCRW, Bush said that the idea for the album's title song came from thinking about the myth that Eskimo have 50 words for snow, which led her to use fantastical words and phrases, such as "spangladasha", "anechoic", "blown from Polar fur", and "Robber's Veil"."

The whole album is great (for KB fans anyway!)

And here is something nice for relaxing ((maybe with tea and scones), any time of day. : ) 

Enjoy your weekends! 

Snowfall Music with Piano

Cuchulainn

January 11th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Frusen Glädjé?

Jean Piaget

bearish

January 11th, 2020, 4:36 pm

I may be geographically challenged, or just confused in general, but isn't Charlottenlund in Denmark?

Cuchulainn

January 11th, 2020, 8:41 pm

I may be geographically challenged, or just confused in general, but isn't Charlottenlund in Denmark?
Looks like a nice place to relax at the weekends. Nice ice-cream parlours?

Jean Piaget

katastrofa

January 12th, 2020, 4:10 am

Been skiing since early morning! Wonderful experience to slide through the silent winter fores, with no humans around! Around the noon the Charlottenlund got a bit crowdy.
I acquaintaned a Columbian chica who likes travelling to winter destinations. White powder!
It is Colombia. BTW statistics/reports generally show Colombia ranks low when it comes to illicit drug use, e.g. UNODC's World Drug Report.
Ok, you can have my "annoying grammer Nazi" badge. I've decided to drop it anyway this season - to err makes me look less perfect, but more special.

"BTW statistics/reports generally show Colombia ranks low when it comes to illicit drug use, e.g. UNODC's World Drug Report."

Sounds like an economic crisis in Colombia!

I won't argue with someone who tries to deny Colombia's prominent role in the drug proceder, because the person is clearly stupid or have a Colombian wife. Regarding the drug statistics, they are difficult to gather and compare for all sorts of reasons. I remember how my colleagues started to estimate alcohol consumption based on supermarket sales - it largely exceeded the consumption declared by subjects in surveys (not to mention all common issues with such surveys, which often make them a waste of time and mone). People are biased by social standards and, consciously or not, underestimate their "delinquencies". (Surveyors are not without sins either.)
How did WHO assess the drug use in Colombia and the other countries? "Trust me, I'm the doctor?" Even "unbiased" estimations based on waterwaste analysis are difficult to compare - it turns out that the pee properties are a function of demographics, geographical location, season, diet, time of the day, etc. Obviously on top of that, Colombia is the country of striking social contrasts - many can't afford food, let alone drugs. Depending on the analysed problem one needs to take into account all such "third variables". Statistics which can be pulled out of the hat to answer any question, rarely give meaningful answers.

katastrofa

January 12th, 2020, 4:35 am

I like the album too! :-) Here it's absolute silence, no vibrations (Well, except for the zero-point, otherwise it wouldn't exist -or does it?? :-o I'm trying to dig down in my memories to the situation which gave me a similar sensation - strangely it goes in the direction of a huge server room where I worked years ago :-)
The dimmed light feels warm and soft against the snow and blue sky. I love equatorial light when I walk through the jungle. (It flickers between the leaves like magic, enchanting inanimate objects into macaws, toucans, young tapir's arse growing up on your path, tiny pangolin acting as if she or he wanted to play a chase game, the fruit of a painful misalliance of a rat with a hedgehog - called porcupine to decoy suspicions, chain of ants like Egyptian workers transporting materials for their pyramids, then you step into the forest of coati's tails and JAGUAR EATS YOU! I wish... I'm glad I experienced what's left of them before they are all killed and eaten by human scum.)
But these days I appreciate more that I could find comfort in the northern light - it's dead and primodal, but carries the promise of all those wonders. Long live the Sun! :-)
Before you ask, I wasn't drinking, I'm not allowed :-/ It's probably the interactions from all the pills talking :-)

trackstar

January 12th, 2020, 5:23 am

Magical realism! 

Landscape with Peacocks
Paul Gauguin

Your description of the jungle would make a beautiful painting.
Here is one of my favorite art stores in London:
L. Cornelissen & Son - Great Russell Street
You may know it already - not far from the British Museum

katastrofa

January 12th, 2020, 10:36 am

Or Henri Rousseau, you probably know him.
A bit imperialistic, but as Paul would say, it wasn't his choice:

He wasn't self-taught, but taught by Nature. He was ridiculed by many for this, which is ridiculous if you look at some of his paintings:

The dude had never been to the jungle and painted this! I believe I could be well based a photo of a Bengal tiger in say Bangslore (judging from the plants - any curry people here to help?):

Ok, you’ve had enough :-)

tagoma

January 12th, 2020, 10:42 am

Ok, you can have my "annoying grammer Nazi" badge. I've decided to drop it anyway this season - to err makes me look less perfect, but more special.

"BTW statistics/reports generally show Colombia ranks low when it comes to illicit drug use, e.g. UNODC's World Drug Report."

Sounds like an economic crisis in Colombia!

I won't argue with someone who tries to deny Colombia's prominent role in the drug proceder, because the person is clearly stupid or have a Colombian wife. Regarding the drug statistics, they are difficult to gather and compare for all sorts of reasons. I remember how my colleagues started to estimate alcohol consumption based on supermarket sales - it largely exceeded the consumption declared by subjects in surveys (not to mention all common issues with such surveys, which often make them a waste of time and mone). People are biased by social standards and, consciously or not, underestimate their "delinquencies". (Surveyors are not without sins either.)
How did WHO assess the drug use in Colombia and the other countries? "Trust me, I'm the doctor?" Even "unbiased" estimations based on waterwaste analysis are difficult to compare - it turns out that the pee properties are a function of demographics, geographical location, season, diet, time of the day, etc. Obviously on top of that, Colombia is the country of striking social contrasts - many can't afford food, let alone drugs. Depending on the analysed problem one needs to take into account all such "third variables". Statistics which can be pulled out of the hat to answer any question, rarely give meaningful answers.
You are so often arrogant. It is irritating. According to yourself, you don’t know WHO’s methodology, but you do know it is worth nothing. Little knowledge and an opinion on anything is often seen nowadays on online social networks.
Bye!

trackstar

January 12th, 2020, 2:24 pm

Or Henri Rousseau, you probably know him.
A bit imperialistic, but as Paul would say, it wasn't his choice:

He wasn't self-taught, but taught by Nature. He was ridiculed by many for this, which is ridiculous if you look at some of his paintings:

The dude had never been to the jungle and painted this! I believe I could be well based a photo of a Bengal tiger in say Bangslore (judging from the plants - any curry people here to help?):

Ok, you’ve had enough :-)
Oh, I would never get tired of Rousseau and other primitives.

We could fill this thread with them!

But I will leave you with this, one of my favorites:

Der Blaue Reiter
Wassily Kandinsky

and of course to return to Norway, there is Munch but there are a number of other Primitives, Expressionists, and Fauves too, as you would know from the museums there.

Today I have some work to do and two football playoff games, but also a little more practice on my illuminated manuscript styles. 
An example will be presented later!

katastrofa

January 12th, 2020, 2:26 pm

Quite any achievement to hear that your arrogant from a French, isn’t it!

Yay! I’ve made it to the Arctic Cathedral (the iPhone camera does crazy things with my face :-/ elongates it)
Attachments
776A43CB-99C5-4016-83F4-04916EE5E366.jpeg
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On