QuoteThe French don't even have a word for enterpreneurGeorge W. Bush
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

tagoma

Those productive french

January 19th, 2014, 3:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThose romantic FrenchBy the way, I am not sure France will be better off if President Hollande thought much with his head and less with his balls.- Edouard

tw

Re: Those productive french

January 16th, 2020, 11:49 pm

I am a big fan of Didier Sornette's book "Critical Phenomena in Natural Sciences", and also got a lot from the 
more popular "Why Stock Markets Crash". 

However, I was a bit unnerved coming across his 2012 paper Optimization of brain and life performance: Striving for playing at the top for the long run
The title is a little uncomfortably close to spam adverts for expensive health pills. However reading on:
 I am writing this note as an opportunity to share my most important snippets of advices with my students and younger collaborators at ETH Zurich. I hope that professionals and the broader public may also find some use for it, as I have seen already the positive impacts on some of my students.
He goes on to describe seven guiding principles  It doesn't seem clear just how optional they are for his students. 
The principles are a pretty stringent set of rules for diet, water drinking, exercise, sleep, chewing etc. However, the benefits are clear as he modestly writes:

As I am writing this piece, I am pushed by my older son Paul-Emmanuel (23), a superb athlete with impressive strength and stamina, to reveal that, at 54, I am still beating him in arm wrestling, that I often practice with him some extreme sports, that I am able to work for 12-14 hours at close to peak brain performance everyday
Perhaps the most striking exhortation is the principle concerning Love and Sex
Make love as often as possible with your special partner and cultivate the romance and relationship; interrupt your work when needed with one minute of intense focus on the loved one, perhaps using romantic or sexy pictures of him/her to trigger happiness hormones that boosts brain performance and well-being
It is good to hear that in the 12 hours of work at peak performance he can spare one minute to give intense focus on his loved one,  and hopefully
they are encouraged given that their sexy pictures can trigger hormones to further boost brain performance.
I wonder if the one minute is also included in the time allocated to frequent love making?   

Paul

January 17th, 2020, 2:26 am

I am a big fan of Didier Sornette's book "Critical Phenomena in Natural Sciences", and also got a lot from the 
more popular "Why Stock Markets Crash". 

However, I was a bit unnerved coming across his 2012 paper Optimization of brain and life performance: Striving for playing at the top for the long run
The title is a little uncomfortably close to spam adverts for expensive health pills. However reading on:
 I am writing this note as an opportunity to share my most important snippets of advices with my students and younger collaborators at ETH Zurich. I hope that professionals and the broader public may also find some use for it, as I have seen already the positive impacts on some of my students.
He goes on to describe seven guiding principles  It doesn't seem clear just how optional they are for his students. 
The principles are a pretty stringent set of rules for diet, water drinking, exercise, sleep, chewing etc. However, the benefits are clear as he modestly writes:

As I am writing this piece, I am pushed by my older son Paul-Emmanuel (23), a superb athlete with impressive strength and stamina, to reveal that, at 54, I am still beating him in arm wrestling, that I often practice with him some extreme sports, that I am able to work for 12-14 hours at close to peak brain performance everyday
Perhaps the most striking exhortation is the principle concerning Love and Sex
Make love as often as possible with your special partner and cultivate the romance and relationship; interrupt your work when needed with one minute of intense focus on the loved one, perhaps using romantic or sexy pictures of him/her to trigger happiness hormones that boosts brain performance and well-being
It is good to hear that in the 12 hours of work at peak performance he can spare one minute to give intense focus on his loved one,  and hopefully
they are encouraged given that their sexy pictures can trigger hormones to further boost brain performance.
I wonder if the one minute is also included in the time allocated to frequent love making?   
I've only met him once. It was very short. It had a big impact on me and I remember the details as if it was yesterday.

Paul

January 17th, 2020, 2:38 am

OMG!!!!!!!

What can one say? This deserves its own thread. But no, that would be cruel.

Jeez.

Maybe I'm overreacting?

Ok, breathe deeply, Paul. Drink some water. Knock one off.

That's better.

But he lives in Switzerland! SWITZERLAND!!!! 

tw

January 17th, 2020, 8:26 am

OMG!!!!!!!

Jeez.

Maybe I'm overreacting?

That's better.

I am trying the thought-experiment of imagining my supervisor enquiring if I was getting enough "Love and Sex"
The word "awkward" just does not do it justice.

Cuchulainn

January 17th, 2020, 9:57 am

As I am writing this piece, I am pushed by my older son Paul-Emmanuel (23), a superb athlete with impressive strength and stamina, to reveal that, at 54, I am still beating him in arm wrestling, that I often practice with him some extreme sports, that I am able to work for 12-14 hours at close to peak brain performance everyday.

This guy has problems, big problems.

I see it all the time on the judo mat: guys in their 40s/50s who think they are 23. Sad,

Jean Piaget

FaridMoussaoui

January 17th, 2020, 10:39 am

Didier Sornette is the new Chuck Norris.

katastrofa

January 17th, 2020, 11:05 am

Most guys in 40/50s I know are more physically fit than today's youngsters. Uunfortunately some of them choose to grow a belly and become diabetic.

Cuchulainn

January 17th, 2020, 11:47 am

Most guys in 40/50s I know are more physically fit than today's youngsters. Uunfortunately some of them choose to grow a belly and become diabetic.
Too many Peroni.

Jean Piaget

Paul

January 17th, 2020, 4:00 pm

As I am writing this piece, I am pushed by my older son Paul-Emmanuel (23), a superb athlete with impressive strength and stamina, to reveal that, at 54, I am still beating him in arm wrestling, that I often practice with him some extreme sports, that I am able to work for 12-14 hours at close to peak brain performance everyday.

This guy has problems, big problems.

I see it all the time on the judo mat: guys in their 40s/50s who think they are 23. Sad,
Why would a father boast about being better than their child? It makes me happy when one of my children first beats me at something. Surely that is the goal of parenting? Maybe he should spend more time better raising his children. Of course how one does that is the eternal question. I personally never deliberately let my children win. Especially if there's money at stake.

Paul

January 17th, 2020, 4:01 pm

OMG!!!!!!!

Jeez.

Maybe I'm overreacting?

That's better.

I am trying the thought-experiment of imagining my supervisor enquiring if I was getting enough "Love and Sex"
The word "awkward" just does not do it justice.
Depends how hot she is.

But discussing sex with your children! That's worse. There are books for that sort of thing.

Paul

January 17th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Despite his perfect physique and his stamina I think that he is missing the most important parts of life. It's quite sad. 

No one chooses to live in Switzerland unless they are emotionally dead.

Paul

January 17th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Rationale for keeping this article[edit]

Prof. Sornette is a major scientist, as can be noted on his homepage. 
That's Wikipedia. Brilliant!!! "...as can be noted on his homepage"!
This article looks promotional[edit]

I see that Sornette is a major contributor to this article.
Haha!
This is just too good. Stop it, Paul, stop it!
I'm going to have to read through his paper for references to "self awareness."
The problem is I can only read a few sentences at a time before the embarrassment gets unbearable.

Paul

January 17th, 2020, 4:17 pm

I hope that professionals and the broader public may also find some use for it, as I have seen already the positive impacts on some of my students.
"Remember, you new students, when you meet Professor Sornette do not make eye contact. Whatever he says just nod slowly in agreement. Do not make any sudden movements, and do not draw attention to yourself. It can be quite disconcerting at first, but you'll be fine. If he gets too excited just press the big red button on the wall and there'll be a nurse there in seconds."
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On