Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Collector

Re: Those productive french

January 17th, 2020, 4:46 pm

"I am still beating him in arm wrestling, "

I have arm wrestled twice. Once in USA where several traders put up bets on a big bulgarian guy easily could beat me in arm wrestling. I got 3 to one in odds or something. I had never arm wrestled before. They lost their bet and where shocked. 

Second time when I visited Russia. A big guy wanted to impress some girls and betted he could beat me in arm wrestling. He had never lost before. He wrote to me years later that he still not could understand how I could beat him. He was regularly arm wrestling and had never lost before. 

I am not joking!

I must conclude arm wresting has little to do with size, these guys much bigger than me. Likely something to do with ability to align atoms in the arm with gravity force.  In Russia I was >40, and the guy I wrestled was about 23..  

"I see it all the time on the judo mat: guys in their 40s/50s who think they are 23. "

off course we have much more strength as know how to utilize the forces of nature (and muscles hidden inside layer of high energy)!  (no one have ever asked me to arm wrestle in Norway, after all an old civilized viking country)

Kyuzo Mifune "God of Judo" 75 year old Judo Master destroys students

Paul

January 17th, 2020, 5:12 pm

You know what? Kudos to Professor Sornette for writing this. When he's lying on his deathbed (c. 2070) or in his cryogenic chamber he wants to look back with few regrets. I think he would regret not writing it more than writing it. He'll look back and laugh at the musings of his (relative) youth. 

And as Frank says, "And now as tears subside, I find it all so amusing." (IMHO one of the most important lyrics in human history. Far surpassing "I'm a Barbie girl in a Barbie world. Life in plastic, it's fantastic. You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere." But I digress.)

tw

January 17th, 2020, 6:25 pm

You know what? Kudos to Professor Sornette for writing this. When he's lying on his deathbed (c. 2070) or in his cryogenic chamber he wants to look back with few regrets. I think he would regret not writing it more than writing it. He'll look back and laugh at the musings of his (relative) youth. 
Do you think Peter Thiel, Elon Musk and all those silicon valley and hedgie types who freeze their heads ask, for jars so be placed facing each
other (alongside an ipad with a stock ticker...) so they can face off for all eternity?

And as Frank says, "And now as tears subside, I find it all so amusing." (IMHO one of the most important lyrics in human history. Far surpassing "I'm a Barbie girl in a Barbie world. Life in plastic, it's fantastic. You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere." But I digress.)
C'mon Barbie, let's go party...

Levity aside.  "Critical Phenomena..." is a damn good textbook. 

FaridMoussaoui

January 17th, 2020, 6:39 pm

No one chooses to live in Switzerland unless they are emotionally dead.
That's said by someone living in England. May be your weather is tricking you.

Collector

January 17th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Switzerland has much better skiing than England, including after ski (lots of emotions there)/

Paul

January 17th, 2020, 7:25 pm

You don't know where I live! I'd forget about being a PI/stalker if I were you!

FaridMoussaoui

January 17th, 2020, 7:30 pm

I said that as a joke. I don't care about someone disliking Germans.

Here a video of "the superb athlete with impressive strength and stamina" (he uses his mother name)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwMN9EsUUao

Cuchulainn

January 17th, 2020, 7:46 pm

I used to fight these guys every week and I lost every time, except once when I strangled Ruska. When he regained consciousness, I got a bit of a going over..

Cuchulainn

January 17th, 2020, 8:03 pm

"I told you I was sick"