SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Versatile
Topic Author

Question to Paul-Is Nazilike propaganda allowed in your forum??

August 26th, 2003, 5:38 pm

Recently Beavis suggested eliminating all Muslims. I wonder if you are willing to allow someone to generate hatred though this forum. Is it ok for you to see discussion topics like - "How we can eliminate christians and jews?" . If not, are you going to ban this person, who is trying to generate hatred though this forum?

Beavis

August 26th, 2003, 5:39 pm

Go ahead and say what you want. Apparantly the dumber it is the more newcomers with less than 15 posts will object to it. Especially if they have poor social skills.
Last edited by Beavis on August 25th, 2003, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Versatile
Topic Author

August 26th, 2003, 6:51 pm

Whatever I am it's true that you are a dumbass racist bigot. And the garbage you write everyday are just polluting this forum. By the way, are you still in high school and live with your racist, dumbass parents? Then there is still hope! Once you get out of home, you might recover from your sickness.

kr

August 26th, 2003, 7:34 pm

Probably I am an idiot to get involved in this one, but since it never stopped me before... We had a lot of threads asking why muslims seem to like blowing people up. It actually didn't necessarily have to do with race, because they seem to enjoy killing eachother just as much as killing other people. It also wasn't a broad-brush thing against all muslims, necessarily - the question was simply why this was a common denominator in essentially all terrorist bombings that have appeared in the media in recent memory. A fair number of us actually take the issue somewhat personally because we work on Wall St. and if it weren't for the fact that we were working for Firm X rather than Firm Y - something entirely due to chance - we would have been killed. So the question is natural to ask, and natural to ask here on this board. Unfortunately, nobody produced a satisfactory answer to this question. People said that all discussion was based on racism, hatred, stupidity, or a linear combination of the three, lying on the hyperplane x+y+z=1. I was hoping for an approximation to the answer which lies outside of this space.Without trying to start a tangential discussion on the value of the UN, I recently and accidentally came across the charter in random readings this weekend, and noticed the following:WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS DETERMINED ... to reaffirm faith in ... the dignity and worth of the human personIt seemed to be as good a condemnation of the terrorist killing as any other, and it was simple and straightforward. If the UN can consider this to be a commonly held belief, then you'd think that (a) lots of people would be asking the same question, and (b) more than a few would have Beav's reaction, no?

LongTheta

August 27th, 2003, 12:36 am

Last edited by LongTheta on August 26th, 2003, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamilton

August 27th, 2003, 1:00 am

vanish like others did, and like they were expected to do. Blowing yourself up is one way to vanish quite effectively. You sure sound familiar. A hint of an Australian accent perhaps?......Only a very small minority of Muslims buy into the notion of self detonation resulting in liberation.

Takingalongwalk

August 27th, 2003, 3:36 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: VersatileRecently Beavis suggested eliminating all Muslims. I wonder if you are willing to allow someone to generate hatred though this forum. Is it ok for you to see discussion topics like - "How we can eliminate christians and jews?" . If not, are you going to ban this person, who is trying to generate hatred though this forum?Versatile..You are blowing the matter out of proportion.It was just Beavis giving his opinion.I completely belive that people on this forum are wise enough to have their own opinions and have their own reasoning capacity.A single comment would not affect the mindset of people this way.Of course,the thread could be just a genuine discussion by the author.Nothing more!Dont take it too heavy...

DominicConnor

August 27th, 2003, 7:55 am

Versatile:Whatever I am it's true that you {Beavis} are a dumbass racist bigot.Well perhaps he is. Racism is a valid viewpoint. It may not be one that I share, but that does not affect whether he should be allowed to expose his views.I would rather someone state their opinions openly and honestly, so that I can evaluate them.Beavis, although more vocal than most has a framework that is shared by many, and if we do not discuss it with them we cannot hope to convince them of the error of their ways.Objecitively, as a scientist I have to accept the possibility that they may convince me.Is that what Versatile is scared of I wonder ?Could Beavis convince him that nuking arabs is a good idea ? I don't know, but if he does not fear change to his world view, then Beavis is background noise. And the garbage you write everyday are just polluting this forum.I, too have taken exception with the quality of the views posted by Beavis. However unlike Versatile, I do not abusively rant. I point out what I perceive to be logical or factual deficits in the post and move on. By the way, are you still in high school and live with your racist, dumbass parents?I wonder if Versatile has the wit to realise that he and Beavis seem to share bigotry. Without a full analysis of Beavis, Versatile still somehow feels equipped to abuse him. Beavis is simply doing the same with a larger number of people. I do not see how bigotry to one is qualitatively different to bigotry to many.If you are going to compare someone to the Nazis, the Democrats, or the Roman Senate, then one is obliged to come up with a common factor.It is naive, and fainly ridiculous to say in effect "the Nazis were bad people, you are a bad person, therefore you are a Nazi".Have you ever studied formal logic ?There are lots of ways to be a bad person. Julius Caesar was a scumbag in a totally different way from Ariel Sharon. Neither have much in common with Mao or Jack the Ripper.One could equally slander Beavis as a Communist, god knows they've done more harm than the Nazis ever did. Beavis exposes views that are neither Communist, nor Nazi, being most similar to those of Rome or Britain in their Imperial phases. Thus Mr. Versatile, if you wish to slag Beavis, you should refer to him as a Brit.I know little of his ethnicity, but I believe you would offend him more that way, and at the same time actually be a lot more predicse, looking less like a ranting fool.

Sliggy

August 27th, 2003, 9:34 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCI would rather someone state their opinions openly and honestly, so that I can evaluate them.Prior to this, it has always seemed to me that when a post is declared synonymous with Nazism/Hitler all useful content of the thread is exhausted, and that we are about to run into the lowlands of half-arsed declaration, extrapolation and supposition.Although a thread that compares a post to Hilter could still have some comic value.

Beavis

August 27th, 2003, 11:21 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: TakingalongwalkQuoteOriginally posted by: VersatileRecently Beavis suggested eliminating all Muslims. I wonder if you are willing to allow someone to generate hatred though this forum. Is it ok for you to see discussion topics like - "How we can eliminate christians and jews?" . If not, are you going to ban this person, who is trying to generate hatred though this forum?Versatile..You are blowing the matter out of proportion.It was just Beavis giving his opinion.I completely belive that people on this forum are wise enough to have their own opinions and have their own reasoning capacity.A single comment would not affect the mindset of people this way.Of course,the thread could be just a genuine discussion by the author.Nothing more!Dont take it too heavy...I think it's pretty obvious to anyone reading my posts that I'm not a racist or a bigot, but rather a very objective person who likes to argue. This guy was just easily duped. What better way to start a discussion than with an opinionated opinion, no?

Nonius

August 27th, 2003, 11:30 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: BeavisQuoteOriginally posted by: TakingalongwalkQuoteOriginally posted by: VersatileRecently Beavis suggested eliminating all Muslims. I wonder if you are willing to allow someone to generate hatred though this forum. Is it ok for you to see discussion topics like - "How we can eliminate christians and jews?" . If not, are you going to ban this person, who is trying to generate hatred though this forum?Versatile..You are blowing the matter out of proportion.It was just Beavis giving his opinion.I completely belive that people on this forum are wise enough to have their own opinions and have their own reasoning capacity.A single comment would not affect the mindset of people this way.Of course,the thread could be just a genuine discussion by the author.Nothing more!Dont take it too heavy...I think it's pretty obvious to anyone reading my posts that I'm not a racist or a bigot, but rather a very objective person who likes to argue. This guy was just easily duped. What better way to start a discussion than with an opinionated opinion, no?Beavis, are you Black like me?

Beavis

August 27th, 2003, 11:31 am

I am a fine black beauty.

Versatile
Topic Author

August 27th, 2003, 1:19 pm

It's great to see, people of good sense are giving their opinions. But, let me quote what Beavis said"Ok, now can we agree that Muslims are bad for world peace? The president should just come out and say it publicly and then we can move on to phase two: Elimination. "Isn't the above statement a sweeping generalization about all Muslims?Had Beavis made a statement like " that particular segment of terrorists among Muslims, who are killing innocent civilians should be eliminated", it would have been fine.So, Beavis, please apologize for the sweeping generalization and take a course in writing at Gotham Writer's Workshop, so that you can express your ideas clearly in future.

Beavis

August 27th, 2003, 1:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: VersatileIt's great to see, people of good sense are giving their opinions. But, let me quote what Beavis said"Ok, now can we agree that Muslims are bad for world peace? The president should just come out and say it publicly and then we can move on to phase two: Elimination. "Isn't the above statement a sweeping generalization about all Muslims?Had Beavis made a statement like " that particular segment of terrorists among Muslims, who are killing innocent civilians should be eliminated", it would have been fine.So, Beavis, please apologize for the sweeping generalization and take a course in writing at Gotham Writer's Workshop, so that you can express your ideas clearly in future.Why don't you kiss my black ass, you dumb immigrant.

Versatile
Topic Author

August 27th, 2003, 3:01 pm

The racist, ignorant attitude at it's worst form.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On