SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

daveangel

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 10th, 2015, 6:56 pm

rand paul walks out of interviewhe is not having the best start to a campaign. he should channel his inner ayn.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

ppauper

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 10th, 2015, 7:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelrand paul walks out of interviewhe is not having the best start to a campaign. he should channel his inner ayn.the article looks bad and then you read what actually happenedQuoteBefore the reporter had the chance to ask again about a specific law he would fully repeal, Paul replied: ?Let me answer the question. You complain that I don?t answer the question ... I am giving you the specifics.?He then added: ?I?ve got time for one more question.? that seems perfectly reasonableA better headline would be "rand paul walks out at end of interview"

ppauper

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 10th, 2015, 7:49 pm

New media outrage: Rand Paul takes one last question, answers it, leaves

daveangel

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 10th, 2015, 8:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelrand paul walks out of interviewhe is not having the best start to a campaign. he should channel his inner ayn.the article looks bad and then you read what actually happenedQuoteBefore the reporter had the chance to ask again about a specific law he would fully repeal, Paul replied: ?Let me answer the question. You complain that I don?t answer the question ... I am giving you the specifics.?He then added: ?I?ve got time for one more question.? that seems perfectly reasonableA better headline would be "rand paul walks out at end of interview"not trueQuote Before the reporter had the chance to ask again about a specific law he would fully repeal, Paul replied: ?Let me answer the question. You complain that I don?t answer the question ... I am giving you the specifics.?He then added: ?I?ve got time for one more question.? The senator?s decision to walk off camera shortly after that question was asked, refusing to engage with a follow-up and declining to wait for the interview to be wrapped up, caused some controversy on Twitter.

daveangel

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 10th, 2015, 8:22 pm

here is what happened when I asked Rand Paul an inconvenient questionQuote what his father Ron Paul knew about a newsletter published under his name that included racist, anti-Semitic, and homophobic commentary. It was 2012, and Ron Paul was campaigning for president in the GOP primary in New Hampshire. Rand Paul, already a senator, was helping his old man and spinning for him after the debates. But Rand Paul had no spin for my questions about this newsletter. Nor did he have any answers. When I asked about the publication, he turned his back to me and refused to answer.

ppauper

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 10th, 2015, 9:08 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelrand paul walks out of interviewhe is not having the best start to a campaign. he should channel his inner ayn.the article looks bad and then you read what actually happenedQuoteBefore the reporter had the chance to ask again about a specific law he would fully repeal, Paul replied: ?Let me answer the question. You complain that I don?t answer the question ... I am giving you the specifics.?He then added: ?I?ve got time for one more question.? that seems perfectly reasonableA better headline would be "rand paul walks out at end of interview"not trueQuote Before the reporter had the chance to ask again about a specific law he would fully repeal, Paul replied: ?Let me answer the question. You complain that I don?t answer the question ... I am giving you the specifics.?He then added: ?I?ve got time for one more question.? The senator?s decision to walk off camera shortly after that question was asked, refusing to engage with a follow-up and declining to wait for the interview to be wrapped up, caused some controversy on Twitter.yes true, he said he would take one more question, which he did, and that was the end of the interview

ppauper

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 10th, 2015, 9:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauper New media outrage: Rand Paul takes one last question, answers it, leavesQuote. According to Paul, it wasn?t him or his staff that shut the lights; it was CNN?s producers, who were eager to get him to sit down for a scheduled interview with Dana Bash. He was on a tight deadline, he agreed to take one more question, he took it, and that?s that.not cut short

ppauper

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 10th, 2015, 9:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauper New media outrage: Rand Paul takes one last question, answers it, leavesQuote. According to Paul, it wasn?t him or his staff that shut the lights; it was CNN?s producers, who were eager to get him to sit down for a scheduled interview with Dana Bash. He was on a tight deadline, he agreed to take one more question, he took it, and that?s that.not cut short: the interviewer says "one last question", but then tries to ask another one

daveangel

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 11th, 2015, 4:47 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelrand paul walks out of interviewhe is not having the best start to a campaign. he should channel his inner ayn.the article looks bad and then you read what actually happenedQuoteBefore the reporter had the chance to ask again about a specific law he would fully repeal, Paul replied: ?Let me answer the question. You complain that I don?t answer the question ... I am giving you the specifics.?He then added: ?I?ve got time for one more question.? that seems perfectly reasonableA better headline would be "rand paul walks out at end of interview"not trueQuote Before the reporter had the chance to ask again about a specific law he would fully repeal, Paul replied: ?Let me answer the question. You complain that I don?t answer the question ... I am giving you the specifics.?He then added: ?I?ve got time for one more question.? The senator?s decision to walk off camera shortly after that question was asked, refusing to engage with a follow-up and declining to wait for the interview to be wrapped up, caused some controversy on Twitter.yes true, he said he would take one more question, which he did, and that was the end of the interviewRon Paul gets testy under the spotlight

ppauper

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 11th, 2015, 11:03 am

the liberal media is really scared of Rand Paul, which is a good thingFor some reason, college kids tend to be "liberal" (i.e. Democrat) and believe in big government having all the answers, etc.The spying scandal has opened a door for the GOP, and Rand Paul is the one who has seized the opportunity.Rand Paul is seeking to convince these college kids that they are libertarian not liberal and have a home in the GOP.Rand Paul gets standing ovation at BerkeleyWhy Rand Paul's standing ovation at Berkeley really irritated partisan hacksThe underlying principle of conservativism is a belief in limited government, which is anathema to both liberals and their neocon soulmates.The old right is solidly opposed to the US government reading people's emails, the neocons are all in favor of it as necessary on national security groundsQuoteOriginally posted by: Benjamin FranklinThose who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. This approach gives Rand Paul a path to victory in the general if he can win the primary, and it is clear from the articles that daveangel has posted that this scares the heck out of the liberal mediaJust as Reagan crafted two successive majorities by bringing Reagan Democrats to the GOP, Rand Paul can craft an electoral victory by bringing college kids and 20- and 30- something concerned about big brother to the GOP.Romney lost 18-29 year olds 37-60 and 30-44 year olds 45-52. (He won 45-64 and 65+)As stated, that scares the liberal media.If you watch the video footage of those interviews, the headlines are not accurate.In the Guardian interview, Rand Paul was doing a whole bunch of interviews, and CNN were waiting.The interviewer says "one last question", Rand Paul answers it, then the interviewer tries to ask another. Rand Paul laughs, shakes his head, and gets up. He did not cut the interview short and storm off.not cut short: the interviewer says "one last question", but then tries to ask another one

daveangel

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 12th, 2015, 3:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperthe liberal media is really scared of Rand Paul, which is a good thingFor some reason, college kids tend to be "liberal" (i.e. Democrat) and believe in big government having all the answers, etc.The spying scandal has opened a door for the GOP, and Rand Paul is the one who has seized the opportunity.Rand Paul is seeking to convince these college kids that they are libertarian not liberal and have a home in the GOP.Rand Paul gets standing ovation at BerkeleyWhy Rand Paul's standing ovation at Berkeley really irritated partisan hacksThe underlying principle of conservativism is a belief in limited government, which is anathema to both liberals and their neocon soulmates.The old right is solidly opposed to the US government reading people's emails, the neocons are all in favor of it as necessary on national security groundsQuoteOriginally posted by: Benjamin FranklinThose who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. This approach gives Rand Paul a path to victory in the general if he can win the primary, and it is clear from the articles that daveangel has posted that this scares the heck out of the liberal mediaJust as Reagan crafted two successive majorities by bringing Reagan Democrats to the GOP, Rand Paul can craft an electoral victory by bringing college kids and 20- and 30- something concerned about big brother to the GOP.Romney lost 18-29 year olds 37-60 and 30-44 year olds 45-52. (He won 45-64 and 65+)As stated, that scares the liberal media.If you watch the video footage of those interviews, the headlines are not accurate.In the Guardian interview, Rand Paul was doing a whole bunch of interviews, and CNN were waiting.The interviewer says "one last question", Rand Paul answers it, then the interviewer tries to ask another. Rand Paul laughs, shakes his head, and gets up. He did not cut the interview short and storm off.not cut short: the interviewer says "one last question", but then tries to ask another oneit seems that Rand doesn't like being challenged.

ppauper

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 12th, 2015, 6:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperthe liberal media is really scared of Rand Paul, which is a good thingFor some reason, college kids tend to be "liberal" (i.e. Democrat) and believe in big government having all the answers, etc.The spying scandal has opened a door for the GOP, and Rand Paul is the one who has seized the opportunity.Rand Paul is seeking to convince these college kids that they are libertarian not liberal and have a home in the GOP.Rand Paul gets standing ovation at BerkeleyWhy Rand Paul's standing ovation at Berkeley really irritated partisan hacksThe underlying principle of conservativism is a belief in limited government, which is anathema to both liberals and their neocon soulmates.The old right is solidly opposed to the US government reading people's emails, the neocons are all in favor of it as necessary on national security groundsQuoteOriginally posted by: Benjamin FranklinThose who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. This approach gives Rand Paul a path to victory in the general if he can win the primary, and it is clear from the articles that daveangel has posted that this scares the heck out of the liberal mediaJust as Reagan crafted two successive majorities by bringing Reagan Democrats to the GOP, Rand Paul can craft an electoral victory by bringing college kids and 20- and 30- something concerned about big brother to the GOP.Romney lost 18-29 year olds 37-60 and 30-44 year olds 45-52. (He won 45-64 and 65+)As stated, that scares the liberal media.If you watch the video footage of those interviews, the headlines are not accurate.In the Guardian interview, Rand Paul was doing a whole bunch of interviews, and CNN were waiting.The interviewer says "one last question", Rand Paul answers it, then the interviewer tries to ask another. Rand Paul laughs, shakes his head, and gets up. He did not cut the interview short and storm off.not cut short: the interviewer says "one last question", but then tries to ask another oneit seems that Rand doesn't like being challenged.it doesn't seem like that at all.He laughed and shook his head

ppauper

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 12th, 2015, 6:05 pm

daveangel

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 12th, 2015, 6:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperthe liberal media is really scared of Rand Paul, which is a good thingFor some reason, college kids tend to be "liberal" (i.e. Democrat) and believe in big government having all the answers, etc.The spying scandal has opened a door for the GOP, and Rand Paul is the one who has seized the opportunity.Rand Paul is seeking to convince these college kids that they are libertarian not liberal and have a home in the GOP.Rand Paul gets standing ovation at BerkeleyWhy Rand Paul's standing ovation at Berkeley really irritated partisan hacksThe underlying principle of conservativism is a belief in limited government, which is anathema to both liberals and their neocon soulmates.The old right is solidly opposed to the US government reading people's emails, the neocons are all in favor of it as necessary on national security groundsQuoteOriginally posted by: Benjamin FranklinThose who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. This approach gives Rand Paul a path to victory in the general if he can win the primary, and it is clear from the articles that daveangel has posted that this scares the heck out of the liberal mediaJust as Reagan crafted two successive majorities by bringing Reagan Democrats to the GOP, Rand Paul can craft an electoral victory by bringing college kids and 20- and 30- something concerned about big brother to the GOP.Romney lost 18-29 year olds 37-60 and 30-44 year olds 45-52. (He won 45-64 and 65+)As stated, that scares the liberal media.If you watch the video footage of those interviews, the headlines are not accurate.In the Guardian interview, Rand Paul was doing a whole bunch of interviews, and CNN were waiting.The interviewer says "one last question", Rand Paul answers it, then the interviewer tries to ask another. Rand Paul laughs, shakes his head, and gets up. He did not cut the interview short and storm off.not cut short: the interviewer says "one last question", but then tries to ask another oneit seems that Rand doesn't like being challenged.it doesn't seem like that at all.He laughed and shook his headno he is thin-skinned and superior.. QuoteThen there were Paul?s run-ins with the press this week following his presidential launch.He wrangled with Philip Elliot of the Associated Press when he would not articulate his position on possible exceptions to a ban on abortion (rape or incest, for example). He appeared to lecture Savannah Guthrie of NBC News when she summarized his views on foreign policy.?The crankiness of his announcement-week interviews certainly suggests that he?s still getting a handle on retail politics,? Jim Rutenberg observed in the New York Times Magazine.?I think that there?s more editorializing going on than questioning sometimes,? Paul told the New York Times. ?And I, frankly, sometimes get annoyed with that. And I don?t hide it very well.?Fair point. The highly competitive world of cable and network political coverage has moved well into the realm of ?gotcha? questioning, although on the part of politicians it?s sometimes hard to tell the difference between full, nuanced answers and filibustering to avoid a direct answer.But complaining about the press is seldom a winning tactic. As Mark Twain said back in the days before broadcast, ?Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.??The perception of Paul as not only resistant to tough questions but mocking and dismissive of them is not a good one,? writes Chris Cillizza of the Washington Post. ?Paul needs to understand that the political campaign he has just embarked on is a very different thing than his 2010 Senate campaign in Kentucky.??The level of scrutiny, the number of people always watching and the hurdles of credibility are all much, much higher,? Cillizza writes. ?Coming across as thin-skinned when faced with the gentlest of ?tough? questions isn't a very encouraging development for those who would like to see Paul emerge as the GOP's standard-bearer sometime next year.?I guess that's the inner Ayn Rand

Cuchulainn

Ryan vs. Hillary 2016

April 12th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Quoteno he is thin-skinned and superior.. He is nervous. A non-starter. I don't think he has a snowball's chance in Hell.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 11th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On