SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Traden4Alpha

Re: DWave

April 8th, 2018, 3:15 pm

I haven't heard of the Moore's Law for qubits, apart from this (I'm reading it's sometimes called Rose's Law):

I strongly believe in Japanese technological culture and though. Since their RIKEN, unis and firms have already been on it for a decade or so, I'd expect some fast progress in processor capacity within the next 10 years. The fact that it's currently attracting a huge funding in the US can help too - but I'll stick to my Nipponophilia :-)
Nice graph! The line shows about 10 doublings in 12 years so that's one doubling every 14 months (maybe it's just a bitslow because DWave seems to have had only 1 doubling in the last 2-3 years).

I'd assume that quantum computing performance is exponential in bit count (correct?) so that if bit-count is exponential in time, then performance is double-exponential in time. (But is that also true of quantum annealing systems?).

platinum

April 8th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Cynical or not - there are some interesting opportunities for start-up types.

IBM Gathers Startups into Its Quantum Computing Fold
April 6 2018 article

"IBM is expanding its strategy to commercialize quantum computing, adding eight startup companies to its network of organizations interested in applying the technology. The commercial strategy got its start in December 2017, with the creation of the IBM Q Network, the entity that encapsulates the company’s fledgling quantum computing business.  At the time, IBM announced it had developed an initial customer base of some big-name companies and research organizations interested in getting access to IBM’s quantum computing technology. These first sign-ups included JPMorgan Chase, Daimler AG, Samsung, JSR Corporation, Barclays, Hitachi Metals, Honda, Nagase, Keio University, Oak Ridge National Lab, Oxford University, and the University of Melbourne. These organizations are getting cloud-based access to IBM’s 20-qubit quantum computer (with the promise of tapping into a future 50-qubit system), as well as access to training and collaboration with IBM researchers."

The eight start-ups are listed and described further on in the article.

Collector

April 8th, 2018, 3:54 pm

"The quest for "quantum supremacy" – unambiguous proof that a quantum computer does something faster than an ordinary computer – has paradoxically led to a boom in quasi-quantum classical algorithms." Quantum Algorithms Struggle Against Old Foe

Collector

April 8th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Quantum annealing

"A class of problems for which quantum annealing certainly works.....for these, classical methods such as Monte Carlo fail (negative probabilities!)"

Nature C. : Quantum annealing with all-to-all connected nonlinear oscillators

" ....rich physics, exemplified by non-Gaussian states, with negative-valued Wigner functions. Because the negativity of the Wigner function is directly related to classical non-simulability"

well many things work even if not fully understood!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On