Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ppauper

DWave

April 7th, 2013, 12:41 pm

looks good...how soon until they come down in price and I have one on my desk

Traden4Alpha

DWave

December 9th, 2015, 2:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunGoogle finds DWave to be 100.000.000x faster than classical computerVery interesting.1. SA seems to have a much tighter scatter of running times compared to DWave. That seems to be the opposite of what one might expect of a true "quantum computer" which would automagically explore all solutions simultaneously and have O(1) running times regardless of the problem. Both the Slashdot comments and Google report note that DWave is not a quantum computer but a quantum annealer.2. The test seems geared to favor DWave in that classical computers aren't very efficient with 1-bit variables. In this series of tests, a 5X larger number of bits induces a 10^9 increase in running time on the classical computer. But classical computers can handle multi-bit variables about as easily as 1-bit numbers. Thus, for example, it seems likely that a problem involving 125 variables of 8 bits each might have a running time on a classical computer on the order of the <200 bit example but a running time on DWave corresponding to the 1000-bit case. That's not to say there are not categories of problems for which DWave won't beat the pants off classical computing. Maybe the breaking of cryptothingies or mining bitcoins can be cast as an annealing problem. Maybe there's some interesting real-time control problems that could be solved with this device.

Collector

Re: DWave

April 8th, 2018, 10:00 am

Serious quantum computers are finally here. What are we going to do with them?

"Yet only now, after decades of gradual progress, are researchers finally close to building quantum computers powerful enough to do things that conventional computers cannot"

"Nature is quantum, goddamn it! So if we want to simulate it, we need a quantum computer.” Feynman

"What are we going to do with them?"    Is this the model that Cuch has been waiting on, the one that can do magic state distillation ?

IBM Now Have A 50 Qubit Quantum Computer, But Are Still Trying To Figure Out What To Do With It

Collector

April 8th, 2018, 11:06 am

looks good...how soon until they come down in price and I have one on my desk
Quantum computing is finally here, and a Canadian company has a plan to bring it to the masses

"The company has plans to bring quantum computing to the public cloud this year."

So on your desk I am not sure, but in your part of the cloud possible already this year: The big question what will you do with it? mine coins?

D-Wave ‘quantum computer’ is not a quantum computer, experts say

"Contrary to D-Wave’s branding of their product, their computer is not a quantum computer but a quantum annealer"

"“The D-Wave machine is a quantum annealer running adiabatic quantum computing algorithms. This is great for optimizing solutions to problems by quickly searching over a space and finding a minimum (or “solution”). The latest announcement from Google states that the D-Wave machine is more than 10⁸ times faster than simulated annealing running on a single core. However, Selby’s algorithm still performs better than the D-Wave quantum computer, so there’s a long way to go for D-Wave." -- physicist Anastasia 

"Proposals exist for the creation of multiple quantum computers consisting of dual entangled qubits.....we don’t even know if the fundamental particles that we seek to entangle exist, says Dr. Craig S. Wright. " 

How much of Quantum computation is buzzwords to sell expensive computers ? 

ISayMoo

April 8th, 2018, 11:40 am

For decades it's been a buzzword to get research grants, now it's time enterpreneurs got their share ;-)

TidalFlood

April 8th, 2018, 11:43 am

A bit.

With the right software these things will be able to crack SHA256 with no problem.

katastrofa

April 8th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Quantum annealing in ML would be a true revolution.

Collector

April 8th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Yes but not Unified i think

Traden4Alpha

April 8th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Yes but not Unified i think
And only if the performance (measured in "learning" per $) is high enough.

Is there a Moore's Law equivalent in quantum computing (e.g., are they adding N-bits per month or doubling the number of bits every N-months or what)??? (And how does that change in hardware capacity induce a corresponding change in computational performance that may or may not outstrip the rate of performance increase in CPU/GPU/procedural language computing?)

katastrofa

April 8th, 2018, 2:14 pm

I haven't heard of the Moore's Law for qubits, apart from this (I'm reading it's sometimes called Rose's Law):

I strongly believe in Japanese technological culture and thought. Since their RIKEN, unis and firms have already been on it for a decade or so, I'd expect some fast progress in processor capacity within the next 10 years. The fact that it's currently attracting a huge funding in the US can help too - but I'll stick to my Nipponophilia :-)
Last edited by katastrofa on April 8th, 2018, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

April 8th, 2018, 2:32 pm

And the math?