Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul

Re: is medicine a science ?

April 1st, 2021, 7:42 pm

I think Mexico may be #2, 321K deaths

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56558059
Are you saying that kc11415’s careful, peer-reviewed, and totally unfunded, statistical research has an error?!

bearish

April 1st, 2021, 9:21 pm

I guess we can throw AMLO in with the dynamic populist duo of Trump and Bolsonaro as the national leaders who did the worst job of managing the pandemic in their country. In case jealousy sets in, we can add Boris, too (with the able assistant of that driver with poor eyesight).

Cuchulainn

April 1st, 2021, 9:30 pm

I think Mexico may be #2, 321K deaths

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56558059
Are you saying that kc11415’s careful, peer-reviewed, and totally unfunded, statistical research has an error?!
Are you sure there are two l's in dollar, Gideon?

Paul

April 1st, 2021, 9:32 pm

I guess we can throw AMLO in with the dynamic populist duo of Trump and Bolsonaro as the national leaders who did the worst job of managing the pandemic in their country. In case jealousy sets in, we can add Boris, too (with the able assistant of that   driver with poor eyesight).
Don't rule out the macaron (sorry, I've been baking a lot recently) yet. He's coming up quickly on the inside.

kc11415

April 1st, 2021, 11:43 pm

I was pulling death counts and relative rankings from https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
That seems to show Brazil as the country having a death tally of 321K.
I would not claim my words as authoritative in the realm of medicine or public health or statistics.
I'm just a plumber and truck driver for data.

EDIT: Oops, just read that BBC article. That bit of information is rather inconvenient to my hypothesis about Neeleman & Brazil.
I must try to find a way to apply the "no real Scotsman" rhetorical ploy.
Give me a minute for a snappy comeback.............
All standard disclaimers apply, and then some.

kc11415

April 2nd, 2021, 12:02 am

All standard disclaimers apply, and then some.

Cuchulainn

April 2nd, 2021, 8:47 am

Figures aside, it\s a desperate state of affairs.

Bayes aside, with articles, he who pays the piper calls the tune, as the editor of the Lancet once stated.
Begin with the end in mind, happens in academic numerical analysis publications a lot.

https://www.politico.eu/article/lancet- ... ronavirus/

katastrofa

April 3rd, 2021, 1:42 am

Starting from the wrong end. Tolle causam, cessat effectus.

katastrofa

July 7th, 2021, 6:41 pm

I think I've heard of one Covid death of a friend of a friend of a friend... since the beginning of the whole epidemic. OTOH, in my close environment the lockdown effect continues reaping a bitter harvest. This time it delayed the decision to go to a cancer screening and made access to it difficult. I think I could count at least 10 people among my at most 2nd-order contacts who died because of the lockdown, if I could handle such analyses at the moment (I probably would - shying away from pain and crying for help is just a matter of how egoistic one is / poor upbringing, I was told - tru?). I wanted to strangle all those idiots in the hospital wrapped in masks and haz-mat-style aprons and running away from us as if we were irradiated. The same people I saw sitting in cafes chatting with random friends. Such a pitiful show.