Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

katastrofa

Re: is medicine a science ?

December 13th, 2019, 12:03 am

I've found a significant correlation between the brain tumour and the number of children a woman produced.

katastrofa

December 28th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Cuchulainn

December 31st, 2019, 3:15 pm

Hooked: How boxing is helping people overcome anxiety

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2019/1004/1081179-hooked-how-boxing-is-helping-people-overcome-anxiety/

Much better than all the doctors' prescriptions in the world.

katastrofa

December 31st, 2019, 9:03 pm

"10 000 injections a day are still not enough for an overdose of vitamin B12."

Cuchulainn

December 31st, 2019, 10:33 pm

katastrofa

January 1st, 2020, 6:12 am

This is Leela :-)
Can you see the tiny tufts a la lynx on the top of her ears?

Regarding medicine, or public health services attempts on it, I need some vitamin boost injections and the National Homicide Service can't find their rat's arse to give for a couple of weeks. Sigh... switching to a private clinic or turning into an unemployed junkie/drug addict to profit from the taxes i (won't) pay?

trackstar

January 1st, 2020, 2:20 pm

On B12, perhaps you know, this comes in capsules of up to 5,000 mcg (at least over here).

That may be lower than your recommended megadose, but taken am and pm, could be a head start while you are waiting for NHS.

I am on Vitamin D (you'd think I get enough sunshine but apparently I could use even more!) and it also comes in 500, 1,000, 5,000 mcg forms OTC.

(No, not D for Dumb, it's D for Delightful , which I am every day - thanks!) : )

katastrofa

January 1st, 2020, 11:45 pm

Thanks. I always had good results, but some time ago I had to take a series of medications, which my stomach didn't like. They are the culprit according to my sis's hausband, who's a medical doctor (the NHS GP blamed it on my vegan diet, but that's probably because "vegan" was the only word in my self-assessment that sounded the same in Urdu). They treat it with injections here. At least that's the intention, because NHS is incapable of managing their electronic system for prescribing and delivering drugs (I get a notification that the injection was delivered to the designated pharmacy, but when I call them/go to pick it up, the injection either is there or it isn't/no sign in their system, quantum state). So I got a battery of nasal and oral sprays (the highest doses indeed ordered from the US - you've got more of everything there!). I reasoned that oral supplements might not be absorbed well by my irritated guts, but maybe I'm wrong... I will get some capsules too. Apparently B12 is impossible to overdose. And it gives me an incredible energy boost! :-) Previously I felt so weak that I sometimes got stuck in bed for the whole day.
Sorry, I like to complain about NHS (I'm no longer supporting Labour, so I am allowed).

Vitamin D deficiency is a problem in women as we age (35+) from what I've read. I'm keeping an eye on it too.
Last edited by katastrofa on January 2nd, 2020, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

January 1st, 2020, 11:58 pm

On taking the capsules - if your stomach is sensitive, probably good to take after breakfast and not before.

Some recommend taking vitamins/supplements on an empty stomach for faster uptake, but perhaps better to have slower, slightly less efficient uptake and a happy stomach. There are a lot of balancing acts in diet and nutrition.

Good luck with this. Every health care system has its problems, so we have to study up and be vigilant and resourceful ourselves!

katastrofa

January 2nd, 2020, 12:39 am

But I don't eat breakfasts :-( Thanks ;-) All the best to you too and out-D your D-ficiency! Be 100 fish ¡yes!

tw

January 2nd, 2020, 12:34 pm

AI better at detecting breast cancer

The bit the jumped out at me on first reading was:
The study showed the AI system could identify cancers with a similar degree of accuracy to expert radiologists, while reducing the number of false positive results by 5.7% in the U.S.-based group and by 1.2% in the British-based group.
It also cut the number of false negatives, where tests are wrongly classified as normal, by 9.4% in the U.S. group, and by 2.7% in the British group.
These differences reflect the ways in which mammograms are read. In the United States, only one radiologist reads the results and the tests are done every one to two years. In Britain, the tests are done every three years, and each is read by two radiologists. When they disagree, a third is consulted.
US doctors a bit slapdash?  (albeit the sample size in US was much smaller)

katastrofa

January 2nd, 2020, 5:18 pm

Pity they don't publish all the studies in which AI algorithms perform worse
I even wrote an essay about to Wilmott Magazine...

Cuchulainn

January 9th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Justin Bieber battling Lyme disease

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0108/1105200-justin-bieber-battling-lyme-disease/

Bad.

In my case, my better half discovered it - a large yellow ring on the back of my leg - in the nick of time. One of my son's buddies has full-blown Lyme - he's a wreck, sadly.

Always do a body check after having been in the long (and not so long) grass.

kc11415

April 1st, 2021, 12:17 pm

Uhm.... awkward....
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/what-the-heck-happened-to-john-ioannidis/
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniemlee/stanford-coronavirus-neeleman-ioannidis-whistleblower
So... JetBlue founder David Neeleman paid $5000 to help fund John Ioannidis' shoddy research that tried to show Sars-Cov-2 as no worse than influenza.  David Neeleman has been vocally against impact to airline businesses, including his, from any sort of lockdown measures.  David Neeleman was born in Brazil and moved to USA as a child.  David Neeleman founded airline businesses in both Brazil & USA.

Q: which two countries are at the top of the charts for worst Covid-19 impact ?
     A: USA & Brazil
Q: Which countries had the most dismissive politicians downplaying seriousness of Covid-19 ?
     A: USA & Brazil
Q: What is the value of a life to David Neeleman?
     A: $5000 payment for junk science in US divided by 550,000 US deaths = 0.9 cents per US death.  (that is a bargain relative to what airlines usually pay for deaths they help cause)
Q: Is medicine a science ?
     A: Perhaps depends on who is the practitioner, or whether they have undisclosed Conflicts Of Interest.
All standard disclaimers apply, and then some.

Cuchulainn

April 1st, 2021, 4:31 pm

I think Mexico may be #2, 321K deaths

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56558059